Elvis Movie review (saw it today)

G Stone496

TDPRI Member
^^^Agree. Saw it yesterday. Meh...it was OK. Liked the early rockabilly stuff, the later phase of his recordings and performances were more of a crooner "showbiz" style and didn't do it for me.
Finally saw it. Seemed a little pro Elvis and not very objective. Yes, think I agree. The early rockabilly Elvis was really good. With a few exceptions most of the songs after the early ‘60s we’re too pop and not rock and roll enough for even back then. And the music from the post army era seemed to be directed more towards older people’s musical styles of that time.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I finally watched it on HBO last night. Interesting how they merged the old and current Elvis throughout. Hanks version of Parker was too good as I despised the character, although his hustle did propel Elvis to the top. A sad life overall and well shown. Phenomenal singer and I was impressed that he controlled his performances. Since I lived through most of his career and saw him, some of the characters were not too close to the original people. Didn't know he and BB were close? Overall a solid 7 movie IMO.

zimbo

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I really liked it. Tom Hanks was great and the songs were reworked so they worked. I'm not an Elvis fan but this film did the trick.

Skully

Doctor of Teleocity
Finally saw it. Seemed a little pro Elvis and not very objective. Yes, think I agree. The early rockabilly Elvis was really good. With a few exceptions most of the songs after the early ‘60s we’re too pop and not rock and roll enough for even back then. And the music from the post army era seemed to be directed more towards older people’s musical styles of that time.

Early Vegas era Elvis is also great and rocking

I walked into the room when one of my daughter's was watching the movie last night. She had wanted to see it in theaters, but I told her I didn't want to pay to spend two-plus hours being angry at the filmmaker. After watching the movie yesterday, she now agrees with my take on Baz Luhrmann.

Mike M

Tele-Afflicted
I was surprised I liked it and stayed with it.

My one complaint is that is kind of short shifts Sun and Sam Phillips, but I can understand that was not the focus.

The kid is pretty good as Elvis, but after the movie go watch the actual 50's TV performances on YouTube (Dorsey, Bearle) and the real Elvis was 1000% more sexy and intense.

And go read "Last Train to Memphis" and sequel if you want the real deal.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
"Crudup was due royalties for writing the song, but according to his wiki, was never paid."

That's on Sam Philips, or the publisher, or even the colonel, but Elvis had no responsibilities for the financials. Kinda the point of the movie.

Last edited:

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
Most of the movie was all spectacle and effects and rapid-fire cuts, and....fer godssakes there was RAP in it! RAP!!! Even though it's on Hulu (ALREADY! - shouldn't be a surprise) my wife & I have no desire to watch it again.

But that's how they appeal to the movie watching demographic today so **** me.

G Stone496

TDPRI Member
Crudup was due royalties for writing the song, but according to his wiki, was never paid.

That's on Sam Philips, or the publisher, or even the colonel, but Elvis had no responsibilities for the financials. Kinda the point of the movie.
“Crudup was due royalties for writing the song, but according to his wiki, was never paid.”

I don’t know how my name got attached to the above sentence, but check my posts again, and then check @KokoTeles post. I did not write this. Please correct and edit your post.

Last edited:

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Most of the movie was all spectacle and effects and rapid-fire cuts, and....fer godssakes there was RAP in it! RAP!!! Even though it's on Hulu (ALREADY! - shouldn't be a surprise) my wife & I have no desire to watch it again.

But that's how they appeal to the movie watching demographic today so **** me.

that's a baz luhrmann shtick - putting anachronistic music in. he seems to think it's "artsy" or something, but it's actually just extremely cringey, whatever music he's using and whatever movie he's doing it in.

Last edited:

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
I saw it over the summer and thought it was well done, and a good intro for a generation that didn't grow up with Elvis around. That said, I think it was a bit superficial. It didn't go into any real detail on anything (yeah, I know it's not a documentary), and it didn't really cover how generous Elvis was.

I stayed in the theater for all the closing credits because the music playing under it sounded so incredible on the sound system at the theater.

I remember years ago, in the mid 1990s, a girl at work was dissing Elvis...talking about how gross he was. I told her that if she had been alive when Elvis was young and had seen him she'd be swooning over him.

I'm not a huge Elvis fan, but I really like his early stuff. My mother told me that when I was a baby my bedroom window was about 6 feet away from the room of a teenage girl in the house next door and she played Elvis records all the time. I think that's why I dig that early Elvis stuff.

wabashslim

Friend of Leo's
I don’t know how my name got attached to the above sentence, but check my posts again, and then check @KokoTeles post. I did not write this. Please correct and edit your post.
OK, Sorry, I removed the reply box with your name. I think I was replying to one of your posts, changed my mind, deleted my text but not the reply box with your name, and wrote something else to somebody else's post. Again, sorry!

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Early Vegas era Elvis is also great and rocking

I walked into the room when one of my daughter's was watching the movie last night. She had wanted to see it in theaters, but I told her I didn't want to pay to spend two-plus hours being angry at the filmmaker. After watching the movie yesterday, she now agrees with my take on Baz Luhrmann.

Yeah… As impossible as it would be, if he could co-direct with a more grounded Director. So it wouldn’t be notes from a producer, Just someone he respected artistically to pull the reins back. Occasionally.

I like some of the stuff he does artistically but not enough of it.

One review I saw said it almost seemed like a trailer for a much better Elvis movie.

I couldn’t disagree.

And tell me, that the best moment of that movie was not the real Elvis, when they switch from the actor singing overweight at the piano with one of the lackeys holding the mic to the real footage of that moment you’re like, there’s the guy.

Luhrman did successfully make the point - hell yes, Elvis still had it even then and it makes it that much more of a tragedy.

that's a baz luhrmann shtick - putting anachronistic music in. he seems to think it's "artsy" or something, but it's actually just extremely cringey, whatever music he's using and whatever movie he's doing it in.

Actually don’t mind the anachronistic music.

(Him hanging with BB King like they used to do it all the time and Sister Rosetta - that kind of crap insults my intelligence.)

Back to music , I detest music that speaks to the action on the screen. (Non-musical bio pics and other non-musical fictional films). It’s hacky and lowest common denominator.

I think Martin Scorsese in the last 30 years has intelligently used music just for a mood or energy very successfully.

Last edited:

G Stone496

TDPRI Member
OK, Sorry, I removed the reply box with your name. I think I was replying to one of your posts, changed my mind, deleted my text but not the reply box with your name, and wrote something else to somebody else's post. Again, sorry!
OK thanks.