Elvis Costello: This Years Model.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 8, 2019.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

It's in the supermarket now. Been so for the last 10 years or so.

2. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Great record. I have it on LP and should dig it out. I've always liked Elvis Costello. I saw him once and enjoyed it. I guess the bubble never burst for me. I like most of his music.

He's certainly carved a significant path for himself in modern music, and that's not an easy thing to achieve. I'll give him some credit for that.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I'd pay good $ to see that... :cool:

4. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, without rock star good looks, too. And his shows are a love fest for sure.

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Striper trolling tips: A12C0685-8CF4-4C4B-8EEB-CE5A4CFE010B.gif

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I too have this problem. For instance I have trouble watching Kung Fu because of the way David Carradine exited this world. And I loved that show as a kid! But may I respectfully suggest forgiving them? If there's any vengeance to be meted out let the universe do it. And there's a practical aspect too-it will help break the cord that holds your mind to the incident, freeing limited space up for more positive thoughts.

I heard on the radio this morning that 50% of couples invite their ex's to their wedding. I haven't verified it but if it's true, maybe they're on to something.

Life is short.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

How do you feel about Pete Townshend?

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Forgiveness is a wonderful thing. In my life, I have suffered my share of trespasses and made a few too... Where I have trespassed (and recognized it and owned it which is something I actively pursue) I seek the aggrieved out and apologize and ask for forgiveness.

I have not seen any contrition from DM nor PT. Heck, Pete cooked up some tale to wiggle out of his activities... I have not seen Cosby (nor MJ when he was alive) nope... those guys aren't sorry for nuttin.

I'm not actively 'against' any of them. I have not heard a who song in years, I only hear MJ when my wife has the disco channel on pandora and we are cleaning something or doing some chore.

I'll probably never see Kung fu again and as far as ex spouses go... I think whatever people work out, great for them.

What puzzles me (and I think that is the right word for me) is how easily we forgive some people and/or just deny their behavior or explain it away and how hard we are on others... Why not just be even and fair. It is a fair question to ask about Pete Townsend... I would not go out of my way to ever hear another song he played on.... to be fair, because he just doesn't matter to me... but, if you asked me if he was probably a pedophile, I'd say 'yes, I think he probably is.'

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

None of us is supposed to like everybody.

Every musician or music freak I know, has at least one "of the Greats" they simply have no means of connecting with. Additional efforts on your part, could work but quite often they don't. Like Bonnie Raitt says, you can't make someone love you if they don't.

We don't respect you any less. We know you'll understand if I don't like X and another guy here doesn't like Y and still another doesn't like Z. I'm totally at peace with this.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    drlucky and getbent like this.
  11. boris bubbanov

12. elihu

I don't think it matters if they're sorry or not. What matters is that you let it go. This effectively stops/ends one branch on the tree of consequences from that action (one access road from the cloverleaf?) in the space/time continuum and helps the world move past it. It's just like the best way you have to help rid the world of the unfairness you speak of is for you to be fair.

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm sorry you see me as the 'wrong' person who is being unfair for not recounting something that is true that was mostly swept under the rug and for which the 'doer' NEVER took full responsibility for. I'm not angry and never think about DM, but when asked, I will recount his actions and let the receiver determine their opinion about his actions. I think it is fair to provide information to folks and let them decide.

14. David Barnett

Actually Pete had fully explained his "activities" in public and print at least a year before it became a fake scandal. Pete was fully exonerated but most Americans didn't hear about it 'cause we were busy starting a couple of wars at the time.

stevemc likes this.
  15. blowtorch

Yeah. He was "doing research" :rolleyes::rolleyes:

16. elihu

What? No way do I see you as wrong...or if you're wrong then I am too. I'm only trying to figure out a way to stop the memories and subsequent effects of bad behavior. Speaking for myself I don't want it to go on through me. I don't want to perpetuate any part of it.

17. boris bubbanov

There's all sorts of atrocities going on out there, that stink so badly that most people won't go within 1,000 miles. If we begin with the assumption that anyone who can tolerate the stink enough to investigate "must be bad" then the horrendous activity will proceed apace. There's lots of examples of this with cults and sex slavery and so on. I take no position here on this guy's guilt or innocence. I just know, the way things are set up now, human suffering and depravity will get steadily worse.

You're not part of the solution.

18. blowtorch

I'm pretty sure that none of us are...and moreso that Pete was actually part of the problem

19. David Barnett

This is a position of willful ignorance. You'd have to be aware of what he had been writing about the subject for several years BEFORE he was falsely apprehended. But if you can't be bothered, I suppose it's easy to judge...

20. blowtorch

I am well aware of "Uncle Ernie/Fiddle About". And it's creepy AF, in hindsight.

I thought so before the news broke, actually.

I mean, who writes like that?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.