Elvis Costello: This Years Model.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 8, 2019.

1. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

In this thread, DM is portrayed as kind of the smartest guy in the room... and then as someone so innocent that he had no idea that calling black people lazy n-word was objectionable. I'd note that in his quote about it he said that his intention was to say the most inflammatory worst thing in order to offend. These are incongruities. Another poster said that all punk bands were putting us (the paying public) on and then later, the same poster said that DM was never putting us on. One poster says that DM knew he was 'just an entertainer' and that any listener who expected more (I'm assuming more to be authenticity or something) was foolish.... the songs were clever for clever listeners, the implication being that if someone were to not like a DM song they would, by implication, be 'not so clever'.

Is he the smartest, most innocent guy who knows everything except how to apologize for bad behavior and racist comments, which he admits to making. That doesn't make him a racist, BUT, the delay in response given many years and many more opportunities... Jon Hundt was there on that tour and knows his truth... but, DM not only admits his motivation, action and words he let them stand for a long time... How is that to be construed as out of context.

maybe we chalk it up to 'punk ethos' or something... what I am pointing to is that we are arbitrarily letting it go or explaining it all away when it suits us.

When Michael Jackson music comes on the radio, I notice it and I struggle with it. When Ike Turner was outed as an abuser, it changed how I listened to him. It isn't necessarily fair, but, I wouldn't try to explain away the behavior.

Years ago, BB King was in an elevator with my then wife and he said some profoundly inappropriate things to her and was completely NOT a gentleman and was lewd and not a good person. He was probably drunk... so, let it go? Fire up Live at the Regal and remove it from our thoughts? Compartmentalization is a great thing, I wish I could do a better job at it.

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Holic

when we knew and they didn't,
    he spoke to us about it
    and we were so very clever
    raking in his clever stories,
    he's a clever lad
    with clever fans
    lost in the snow storm of clever powders.

sarcasm and cutting remarks,
    imperious while doing the snark
    so self absorbed eyes on fire
    no sleep for a week,
    reach out and the numb
    bites the hand
    where did it all go wrong
    we were so shining and precious
    now it's just a clever shame

drlucky likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Convenient for you the way you restructured that. My point was that you don't seem very perceptive of the value of the music. You seem bent on making some personal statement about the entertainer instead.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  4. ping-ping-clicka

I like E.C., o.k. he came along during the cocaine blizzard and though we liked his music, we pimped him out so that we could think of ourselves as cool , his songs, bands and live performances for me have always been top notch, it's embarrassing to look back and realize
    how stupid I became when using drugs and drinking thats a personal statement, not about him but about me and my clever friends.

getbent and drlucky like this.
  5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

The fact he bored Stills out of a bar speaks volumes!

6. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I can compartmentalize more effectively with stuff that happened 40 years ago than I can more current events. Some of the unforgivable places racism is raising its ugly head today makes it relatively easy for me to let this guy slide on a 40 year old offense, given he hasn’t done anything ugly since then (that I’m aware of). OTOH, Stray Cat Blues and Under MyThumb are two of my favorite Stones tunes to play, but I can’t bring myself to sing either of em anymore, for obvious reasons. I guess my compartmentalization is somewhat compartmentalized...

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

We saw him last year with the Impostors, and it was one of the better shows I've seen in the past ten years.

And I just noticed he's doing two nights at the same venue (Capitol Theater in Port Chester NY) at the end of the month. If my schedule permits, we'll go see him again.

Besides the great songs, Steve Nieve's solo spot alone is worth the price of admission.

- D

8. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I've probably listened to This Year's Model as much as any other album. I may have listened to Kind of Blue or Roxy & Elsewhere more. It's easily in the top 5.

9. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

never been that into Elvis - and I'm sure I missed a lot.

His wife I am a total fan of tho - he done good on that count.

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Steve's showcase was a surprise to me, too. EC went out of his way to put the band and backup singers out there as artists during the show.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like Elvis. Read his book this summer. Interesting, flawed guy. He does briefly address his racist remarks. I think his subsequent career and work with artists like Allen Toussaint should put those remarks, which are, let’s make no mistake inexcusable, in some context.

Cheers,
    Geoff

drlucky, StrangerNY and lammie200 like this.
  12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Love Miracle Man live. Great bass work.

brookdalebill likes this.
  13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know Elvis Costello was a model.o_O
    So Elvis IS ALIVE. Doubly confusedo_Oo_O

14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

elihu, Tonetele and brookdalebill like this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

"I think the track, "This Year's Girl" pretty well explains what he was getting at with the album title."
    well put.

16. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Meister

PUMP IT UP, ELVIS RULES

17. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

See- JIMMY JAZZMAN also says Elvis is alive!;)

18. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

Yes. The drumming in the live version of "Last of the Lipstick Vogue" is unbelievable!

19. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

Much of Elvis Costello's music is of quality, but his work with The Attractions is unmatched. One of the tightest, rudest rhythm sections ever.

Here they are on Danish television in 1979 just tearing it up.

drlucky likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Good, clever pop that should have been on the radio to show people how it’s done. I’ve always liked Veronica.

trev333 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.