Elvis Costello: This Years Model.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by ping-ping-clicka, Oct 8, 2019.

1. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

BTW, if you saw any punk band in the '70s and didn't realize they were putting you on you were being generous IMHO.

2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I caught him and The Attractions at the Paradise Club in Boston in 77. IIRC, it was right after the SNL debacle. He absolutely tore the place up! I thought his ankles were broken because it looked like he kept rolling them over and standing on the with his feet bent sideways. It was like he was a life size Gumby. Pump It Up remains in my top ten of all time live songs I remember best. I lost it. This was back when “losing it” didn’t necessarily land me in the ER.

stevemc likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

hell no they weren't touring with him. They were on tour and he was on tour and they happened to be in the same bar on a night off and Declan was saying a bunch of racist stuff, calling Ray Charles the 'n' word and saying he was worthless and Bonnie Bramlett beat his ass and he was run out of the bar after his beating.

McManus has been confronted on this behavior many times and has barely admitted it, but never apologized for his statements nor retracted them. He is a pathetic piece of racist crap but he gets a pass because he is a darling of the 'clever' people.

have at, but make sure to own it.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/elvis-costello-racist-remarks/

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Texicaster likes this.
  4. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

I always dug the drummer.

5. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I KNOW D&B weren't touring with Elvis! I thought there was some connection to Stephen Stills and his band in that incident, so I was asking if D&B were touring with HIM, Stills...

OK, that article clears it up - it was Stills' band, Bonnie was a backup singer with Stills at the time - that's what I hadn't been clear about.

I couldn't and wouldn't try to defend his actions at the time, but this sounds like he did apologize, if very very late:

.... in 2013, Costello continued to shed light on the incident in an interview with Roots drummer ?Love. “It’s upsetting because I can’t explain how I even got to think you could be funny about something like that,” Costello said. “I’m sorry. You know? It’s about time I said it out loud.”

-Ray

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

As soon as Costello hooked up with The Attractions, they should have re-recorded all the songs on "My Aim Is True", released that, and destroyed the tapes done with Clover.

7. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

no I would have been there. I might have to go to the attic and find the tour itinerary to find the club name. We would have been about a week or two into the tour: Portland, Seattle, Berkeley, LA - then off into points unknown, and I guess that Tucson might have been the very next show. I think I remember something about a bigger venue falling through, and taking a lesser venue as an alternative. If you're working the gear, you don't always keep up with all those management decisions.

I saw the live show more than 50 times over 3 months. Nobody and no group ever put it all up front and out there like EC in those days. Madness - yes! Insanity, yes. Pure rock-n-roll heart-and-soul - absolutely.

Telecasterless and raysachs like this.
  8. getbent

well, yeah, because most of Clover became Huey Lewis and the News or members of the Doobie Bros... decidedly 'not cool' enough for Elvis'... even though that is who you are listening to if you listen to those records.... the cult of personality thrives!

brookdalebill likes this.
  9. getbent

I think George Wallace apologized faster than ol' 'Elvis'...

Texicaster likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hilarious!
    Though I love the Attractions too, I could not disagree more!
    Clover did a brilliant job backing EC, especially the wonderful guitarist, John McFee.
    I would find the carnival/Farfisa/Vox Continental organ sounds of the Attractions particularly annoying on MAIT.

elihu and Strato50 like this.
  11. brookdalebill

Huey wasn’t on MAIT, and no one else in Clover was in HLATN.
    Regarding EC, to me, he is the main (no pun intended) attraction.
    He writes and sings brilliantly, his backup crews are always somewhat incidental, IMO.

12. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Plus, his personality ain't what sings. I have seen him sing A cappella in large auditoriums without amplification. There isn't any putting on going on.

13. getbent

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clover_(band)

14. getbent

"BTW, if you saw any punk band in the '70s and didn't realize they were putting you on you were being generous IMHO."

ummmm, so which is it?

15. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

if you weren't there, you don't know.

if you never met him, you don't know.

If you don't know, and you weren't there, and you didn't see it yourself- why do you think you know all about it?

I was there, on the tour; I not only met him, but spent much time around him and his group; he is not what you are trying to make him out to be. The incident had much to do with alcohol, and EC wasn't the only one drinking. One party felt that it was an advantageous career move to publicize the event.

If you think EC is a racist, based upon the press reports of this incident - you are completely and totally mistaken. I was there. I know. I will "own" that.

16. brookdalebill

I stand corrected, your honor.
    I forgot about Sean Hopper being in the both Clover and HLATN.
    I love(d) Clover.
    My high school (1972) schmuckley garage band was named Clover.
    Thanks for the schoolin’!

17. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

The "MAIT" songs that appear on the "Live at the El Mocambo", "Live at Hollywood High" and "Stiffs Live" albums totally smoke the Clover versions.

18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

It's the one that you believe in.

19. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

I think it was easier for Wallace - he became far more racist for political purposes than he had been earlier in his career - he knew exactly what he was doing so it was easy for him to apologize the minute the calculation changed - he'd probably been planning it right along. Elvis was a stupid impetuous kid who probably had no idea what he was saying was wrong. Was probably quite ashamed when he figured it out and, yeah, took way too long to publicly apologize for it. I doubt it was a calculation on his part. You may disagree. I disagree with you on his music - I think he's a great songwriter, one of the better of his generation... Ear of the beholder and all that...

-Ray

20. brookdalebill

OK.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.