1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ELO

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chet again, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister

+1 on the Zoom tour live DVD. It was from 2001 or so and the band Jeff put together then was perfect. It’s a must for any level of ELO fan but unfortunately I think it’s out of print now.

I got to see them live when I was a kid in 78’ at the Pontiac Silverdome and still have the program. Heart opened up for them. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and my wife, who I got into ELO, had a opportunity to go see the latest incarnation in Detroit. See absolutely loved it and said every song sounded as good as the records. Apparently the new arena has some really good sound characteristics too.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  2. tooloud

tooloud Tele-Meister

Saw ELO in Houston 1977 and saw them this year 2019 Awesome.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  3. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

I saw Jeff Lynne's ELO about a month ago. It was an awesome show, better than I expected . Incredible sound. Dhani Harrison opened then cam back out and sang his dads parts on Handle,With Care.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Loved them and still do. Their sound is one of my guide marks for the '70s. Listening to them gives me so many pleasant flashbacks. Jeff Lynne was/is one of the best.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I remember seeing them back in the day. One of the first bands to use lasers as I recall.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

ELO and Kansas were probably my favorite bands back in the late '70s. I still count Eldorado as one of my favorite albums of all time. I just wish they'd play more than Do Ya on the radio; probably the worst song they ever did.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I saw them on the Time tour in '81. Bummed I never saw them on the Out of the Blue tour - I think that's where they had the spaceship stage and lasers.

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Lovin' ELO and also really enjoy Jeff Lynne's production work with Tom Petty, George Harrison, Wilburrys, McCartney, etc.

Chunkocaster and RetroTeleRod like this.
  9. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Afflicted

My partner is a big fan since her teens.
    I can't stand them.
    They're one of the few groups I would leap up and turn off if they come on the stereo.

I know, I know, they've brought a lot of pleasure to a lot of people, etc. Just not my thing at all.
    Everyone in this thread likes them though !

10. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

I'm a big fan. Lately I've been collecting them on CD. ( I know, I'm a dinosaur) Eventually I want to get all the original albums. I have Out of the Blue on vinyl. I used to own Eldorado and A New World Record on 8 track! I have some of the singles from Out of the Blue on 45s, including one that's the colored vinyl edition. Very cool! One of the best groups ever!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Early ELO conjures vivid memories of 1971/1972 I saw them in the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix, had 3rd row seats.

Probably my favorite album On The Third Day

puddin likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't mind Lynne/ELO, & he's obviously talented beyond anything i'm willing to put forth. Not knocking him 1 bit.

...but the work/influence with Petty makes me sad. He just castrated that guy. More power to them both that they became very rich.

13. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Chunkocaster likes this.
  14. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

I like ELO. It's amazing how some things just slide by a person at the time and we only appreciate them later. Even though I was aware of music back in the '70s my focus was on a particular genre and I missed a whole bunch of good music from other genres.

SparkleFart likes this.
  15. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

First heard them driving at night on one of the big AM stations. Never heard anything like it before. You guys know the cello player was killed by a hay bale right?

16. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect Tele-Holic

I was born in 87 so I wasn’t around when they were a big deal, but as my musical tastes have matured I’ve realized how fantastic ELO really was. As far as I’m concerned, everything from Eldorado to Balance of Power is worth listening to.

To me ELO is what would’ve happened to the Beatles if there was a parallel universe where they hadn’t broken up and just kept exploring the Magical Mystery Tour sounds well into the 70’s. Excellent pop music. The production is somehow both dated, cheesy AND cool at the same time, and Jeff Lynne has written too many amazing pop songs to keep track of. Just awesome.

Oh, and Time has got to be one of the best concept albums I’ve ever heard. The remastered CD that adds some great unreleased songs from when it was cut down from a double album only makes it better. That album is way overlooked imho.

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Loved 'em then, love 'em now. I was immensely pleased when my oldest son came to me in his late 20s and said, "do you know this band ELO? They're really cool."

RetroTeleRod likes this.
  18. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

My copy is in storage, but I have one like this...:cool:
    [​IMG]

SnidelyWhiplash and Chunkocaster like this.
  19. straightface

straightface Friend of Leo's

Yup, first band I ever saw use them. One of the cello players was doing this solo thing and this green laser came down from the back of Boston Garden and hit right where the bow was hitting the strings and sent these sparks flying everywhere. My teenage self was very impressed. New World Record tour I think it was. I remember loving the OLE ELO album especially the songs Ma Ma Ma Belle and Kuiama, what a great song.

ArcticWhite likes this.
  20. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I first heard of them in high school when a friend came over with the new album “Face the Music”. Instant fan.

RetroTeleRod and Dan R like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.