Elixir strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Pemguin, Jan 7, 2020.

1. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Afflicted

I love the phosphor bronze nano webs on my acoustics. I tried their regular poly-web strings on one of my electric guitars and did not like them.

2. Pemguin

Pemguin TDPRI Member

Thanks for so many replies, been away for a couple of days and just reading though, much like I had imagined some love em some don't.

Think I'll grab a set of 10's and see how I get on, I also suffer from acidy hands and seem to turn mine to gunk even with maintenance.

Which are the least coated or brightest of one's used?

3. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I love them and they are all I want. They last a long time. And pollywebs feel different. But the Nanowebs feel like normal strings. I love the Pollywebs they are on my new Samick Silvertone Jupiter.

4. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I would go with Nanoweb if I were you. The most similar to normal strings but VERY resistant to sweat, acid etc. The catch will be whether the longer life is enought to justify the price.

I'd be surprised if it isn't.

5. Pemguin

Pemguin TDPRI Member

Hey thanks for the reply, I thought the nanoweb were thicker in terms of coating than the optiweb or is it the nano that is closest to normal strings? Have I got them mixed up...

6. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

elixirs are for cheap guitars to make them sound more than they are worth to generate sales.. if you got a good or great sounding guitar already elixirs hurt your sound. elixirs for acoustics if you are fingerpicker will leave you with blisters bec you got to beat em harder to get the volume from the string, the coating is a damper.

all that and I just used em once

7. Pemguin

Pemguin TDPRI Member

Bought some nanoweb 10-46 going to put them on this week and see. Only way to know it seems, guitars off for a setup this week so going to get it set up with them on!

8. bcorig

bcorig Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
    All the rage about 20 years ago. I noticed no real difference. I will say this, though, I recently found a set I probably bought in 1998 and put them on my Heritage. They sound really good for 20 years old strings.

9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I responded a couple weeks ago.

I would say my feelings about Elixirs are/were complicated. I mentioned I was pretty used to the 9-42 Optiwebs on my Tele. No tuning problems, last forever, feel seemed pretty good. Mostly OK with them on my Taylor too, which is 12-53 Nanoweb.

I took the Nanoweb 10-46s off my G&L Doheny yesterday. I have been practicing stuff with tons of bends and they have steadily been driving me more and more nuts. I don't know if the Nanoweb/Polyweb are actually stiffer like some people claim out on the web. But if they're not stiffer, it may be that the slippery coating makes it harder to bend, so you grip the strings harder, which effectively makes it *feel* like the strings are stiffer. I had been getting some serious fatigue from all the bending in my left hand fingers.

In any case I put some D'addario NYXL 10-46s on that guitar last night. Immediately obvious they don't stick in the nuts as much (coating?) which is more important with a tremolo. Bends are immediately easier, it does feel like it's not as stiff or something. Only thing that requires an adjustment is IMO if you switch off Elixirs after a long time doing slides feels harder at first. It's like the coating/treatment on the Elixirs somehow makes it easier to slide.

I kind of wonder if this slippery feeling being annoying on bends has somewhat to do with the gauge of strings. The 9s are so easy to bend maybe the slipperiness doesn't show up as much. (But I think Optiwebs are less slippery as well.)

I also weirdly feel like Elixirs cause me to lose/have less calluses on my fingertips.

10. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I dislike the electric guitar version.

I like the phosphor bronze acoustic offering very much.
    Have used them for years.

11. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve tried them, and tried to like them 2-3 different times and they just don’t work for me.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I got along with those "Silver Stars" OK, but the Elixirs didn't make sense for me.

I don't eat red meat and I hardly drink alcohol any more, and my sweat is just so minimal. I can put a big fat thumbprint on a new Lincoln Penny and I don't get a corroded image of my thumbprint like I might have as a youngster. I'm just not harsh on conventional strings like a typical D'Addario EXL and so there's no point in the Elixirs. Improved or otherwise. I can't remember how I ended up with these packs of Silver Stars but I figured "why let them just waste away?". They're easier to play than Elixirs but again, for me there's no point spending extra, so those will be gone soon enough.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried them a few times and the cost/benefit of extended life just doesn't work out for me. Used to buy 10 packs of GHS Boomers for like $4 a pack. Now I get the D'Addario 3 for $14.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.