1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Elixir strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Pemguin, Jan 7, 2020.

1. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

I don't like them for some of the reasons detailed above (dull sound, funny feel, etc.). I prefer Cleartones. They stand up to my acidic sweat and they feel and sound like "normal" strings. I haven't bough Elixirs in years, but from what I recall Cleartones are more expensive, but the amount of time they last me easily outstrips that (something like, they cost twice as much but last 3 times at long, that sort of thing).

Cleartones + wiping down the strings after playing = happy 'Slinger.

2. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

Not a fan. If you play a lot and change your strings regularly what is the point. I think they sound a bit dull too.
    I like Cobalts ... but use Web Strings and regular DiAddario strings. If you clean them once in a while they last.
    To each their own.

brookdalebill likes this.
  3. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

I use them on all of my higher end acoustic's (nano 12's) and like them a lot.

I wipe them off after every session and they last 3-6 months.

They're not as bright as most acoustic strings, but that's ok. They have their own sound and feel, which I've adjusted to...

I havent tried them on my electrics.

4. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Friend of Leo's

Get Daddario XT,t hey have minimal coating on all of the strings. Elixir have really fat coating that is uncomfortable and icy.

I highly recommend NYXL by daddario, they are very soft and long lasting

5. thx712517

thx712517 Tele-Meister

I recently tried a bunch of string brands recently and found that for my acoustic I prefer Elixir Nanoweb custom lights, and Nanoweb 9-42s on my electric. They work for me, so that's where I'm at.

6. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Used them for years. Nice and slick under the fingers, which takes time to get used to. To me, the Nanowebs are quite bright and zingy and they stay that way for a long time. I buy them in bulk around the holidays when they are discounted.

Have been playing D’addario XT recently. They are fine too - don’t last nearly as long though.

Try them. You’ll either like them or you won’t. I would not put much stock into internet opinions, including my own.

7. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

Since i found Pyramid strings it's not an issue anymore for me.....

kbold and bluzkat like this.
  8. MattyK-USA

MattyK-USA Tele-Afflicted

Interesting to see the responses, I guess like everything else it's different strokes for different folks.

I personally do not like Elixir. They stain my fingers, the sound/tone is dead to my ears, and I don't like the action. Other than that, they're okay :)

Greggorios likes this.
  9. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

I’ve used Elixir nanoweb 10-46 on my electrics for several years and really like them. Better than the uncoated D’Addarios in my opinion.

10. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

I've tried every coated string out there, and just like folks have said, they feel weird. I don't know why I'm so suprised, it's coated...but still...I keep expecting a miracle string that does not succumb to my super villain acid fingers.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have been fine with Nanoweb 12-53 on my Taylor... those are the stock strings on most Taylors and they seem very well suited to those particular guitars.

I was happy with Optiweb 9-42 on my Tele.

My new G&L Doheny came with uncoated 10-46 (unknown brand) and they were kind of dead. The shop was out of stock of Optiwebs in 10-46 so they gave me some Nanoweb 10-46.

I don't really like the Nanoweb as much. Maybe too bright (but this is a brand new guitar, still dialing it in). But they feel noticeably stiffer than whatever was on the guitar stock, and they are definitely snagging more in the nut when the Trem is used. But the nut slots on this guitar are pretty tight anyway.. I've been gradually opening them up a little/smoothing them and it's getting better. Still I think I'm going to try some different/uncoated strings sooner rather than later on that guitar to see if the Trem works better without the Elixirs being part of the picture.

12. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I have to use them; I kill a set of uncoated strings in ~3 hours, which is 1 or 2 days depending on if it's the weekend. I think they sound pretty darn good but they are pretty stiff. Might give the optiwebs a go.

13. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I like them on acoustics. Have tried them on electrics and don't hate them, but I prefer plain old D'Addario XL's.

14. bieworm

bieworm TDPRI Member

I really never break strings, but when I put on elixirs then I always do break one ore two

For my WM45 I use John Pearse 12's
    For my offsets fender vintage pure nickel 11-49

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Only tried on acoustics. They were ok, then went very dead right away. Didn't like it. But... picky picky, I know some who use them and if you don't know it, they're fine!
    On electrics I like changing my strings often.

16. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

It's a brand. They have multiple products. Not every product in their line is the same.

If you have problems with strings wearing out too soon, they might have a product that will help you.

If you don't have that problem, then don't worry about it.

As I said earlier, I was not an early adopter. The first elixirs that I tried were guilty of all the negative things people are saying.

It took them a while to get it right. And it took me a while to open my mind to a slightly different feel and tone (and price) in exchange for longevity.

If you go through strings quickly, I recommend that you give them a try. GHS and Dadarrio also make coated strings. It's a cool technology.

Not all coated strings are the same.

17. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Holic

I hate coated strings despite trying a good few sets and brands, but annoyingly I can kill a normal set of strings in a day or so of playing.

I have used Stainless Steel strings for about a year now and couldn not be happier (Rotosound British Steel).

18. 57fenderstrat

57fenderstrat Tele-Holic

Never used their electric strings but they are my number one acoustic set, they are expensive but worth the price to me in the long run. I like bright acoustics and they are very bright, maybe even too bright at first. After that they last super long. I can make a set last like three months of playing each day. When I used to buy Martin uncoated strings they sounded great at first but after a day or two they sounded too dull to me.

19. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I LOVE the Nanowebs. They last for ages for me.

Opposite to most, I think they are slightly bright.

-Hawk- likes this.
  20. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I use them on everything Bass ,12 string & 6 string acoustic ,electric guitars they are the perfect recording strings if you hate the sound of squeaky fretting

If people are finding them with a dead sound there is a very good chance they are fake
    possibly the most faked strings out there because of their retail value

JayFreddy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.