1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Elixir strings. Worth the money?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by ieatlions, Dec 14, 2017.

1. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

Thanks for the input guys.
    I've had these Elixirs on for about 8 weeks and I feel they're due for a change now. All things considered I don't think they're worth the extra in my case.

2. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

Like many others, I use them on my acoustics. To me there is a much bigger difference in how much the tone of acoustic strings changes over time, and regular uncoated acoustic strings can go from bright and crisp to dull and dead pretty quick. Elixers and other coated strings seem to be much more even. They are not quite as bright when new, but they don't go dead for a long time. I prefer the Nanoweb version.

3. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Don't like them. Not bright enough for me.

Maybe when amplified they come to life, but unplugged, they do nothing for me.

brookdalebill likes this.
  4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I hate Elixirs. They sound weird and then the coating wears off and flakes all over the place.

brookdalebill likes this.
  5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

My Taylor T5z came with Elixers and sounds great. I'll most likely stay with them when I re-string. But, I'm staying with D'Addario's on my electrics.

6. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm the exact same way, using D'Addario medium phosphor bronze.

When they go dull, the drop is obvious, and you know it's time to change them.

I have a box because I use them on my two acoustics.

7. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

I went to Elixirs many years ago on my acoustic and would have a hard time going back to others. They last a long time and sound great.

janea69 likes this.
  8. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

When Elixirs first came out I used them on my D-18 for about a year. I thought they really changed the sound and the coating would deteriorate. I went back to the basic Martin nickel string. It was years ago and I'm sure the product is improved, but I really like the sound I get now.

9. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

My son has sweat so corrosive that, on his guitars, uncoated strings last no longer than a couple days. Up to 4 months with Elixir, so I can't say they are not durable.
    But I think its tone is very metallic, in a way I don't really like.

10. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

For me, I like elixirs on my acoustic that sees couch noodling time at best and a set will usually last a year cause I really don't care.

On any guitar you play a lot, it's not worth it to me. FYI I live in a dry climate and don't have sweaty hands. Strings die from mechanical fatigue well before they die from exposure. I've never had any reason to switch away from my ernie ball power slinkys. Buy them in bulk to drive the unit price down and it will still be cheaper than striving to make expensive strings last longer.

11. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I've been wrestling with this over the course of this year because I got a Taylor.

I think I've come to the conclusion they are not worth it to me. They're a bit slippery compared to most other strings I've tried, and I think they do sound a little wooden or something on my Taylor. I really like the slippery feel if I'm doing slides, but I don't like it when I'm playing fast chords as it feels like your fingers bounce/slip off the Elixirs if your finger placement isn't perfect. I actually think the Elixirs don't sound that good after a month or two, but their sound slowly goes off compared to other strings whereas particularly plain old uncoated strings go off all of a sudden all at once for me.

But it's mostly price, they're just really expensive. I don't mind changing strings. The weird thing is with the elixirs I'm more likely to make a mistake with the string change since I'm out of the habit of changing strings! I'm not an idiot but the last time I changed Elixirs I screwed up and overwrapped the E and A strings because I sized the string based on the rule I use on my Tele!

I got a 12-pack of D'Addario EJ16s (12-53) for $29 on Black Friday. That'll get me through all of next year unless I break strings. The only strings I've actually broken are the G string on Elixirs as well! (2X) I've never broken a cheap string.

I have a set of 9-42 Elixir electric guitar strings I got as a gift, I may try them on my Tele soon. But I also got 10 sets of D'Addario 9-42s for about $30 on Black Friday so I'm mostly going to be playing D'Addario next year.

I change uncoated strings once a month... I play maybe 30-40 hours a month but I split that among 2 guitars.

12. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

What's that kid eating?

Badger06 likes this.
  13. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

That sounds exactly right for them to maintain their brightness.

Those EJ16s are in the red package, right? Labeled medium, phosphor bronze?

Can't remember the name, just go by package look, but those are the ones I've always used. My favorite acoustic string by far, granted that I haven't bothered to try out dozens of types.

14. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

EJ16s are a blue package... Phosphor Bronze Light (12-53)

Yah probably my favorite. Sounds like you play mediums.. Taylor doesn't recommend using them on my guitar I think as it's a GC which is their smallest body style. Kind of weird though since a Taylor GC is closest to a Martin 000/OM and Martin makes a whole bunch of body styles smaller than that.

15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe mine are the EJ17.

I play them on both my regular Tak dread AND this thin body Ibanez Talman. Never considered the heavier gauge not being "good" for them, but they're not expensive guitars anyway. If anything happened to the Talman, I would replace it in a heartbeat and still use that same gauge.

The Talman is a joke uplugged though.

16. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Being 20 years old, he's not a kid anymore... the lack of vegetables (that he really hates) may be the problem, together with the fact that he's very relapsed with his instruments...

17. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm no health nut, but I love my vegetables. You should try to get him into the habit of drinking like one bottle of vegetable juice a day, like V8 or whatever marca they have in São Paulo.

Mix it with cachasa if he resists!

18. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

Oh, man, the boy has bad habits, but at least he doesn't drink, nor smoke (better he remains in that way...).
    By the way, cachaça is very hard to drink...

19. adamkavanagh

adamkavanagh Tele-Holic

To those who can't fathom going a year without changing strings:
    I was one of you but it happened to me!

I used to play D'addario acoustic strings, they made my calluses green and weak and I had to change strings every single gig.

I tried D'addario EXP and the like but they all sucked so bad.
    Once I tried Elixir, there was no going back.

I used to love Polyweb but there was a drought in Canada for a few years so I used nanoweb and I was less pleased, then they came out with the phosphor bronze variety.

Nanoweb phosphor bronze is THE string for me.

They sounds amazing and bright when they are new and as they age, they sound more and more like the guitar itself if that makes any sense.

I gig at least 3 nights a week and I haven't replaced my strings in over a year (I think its finally time actually, tonight I'm noticing they actually feel a little dead but hey still sound fantastic acoustically) and if you have seen my other posts I'm an acoustic tone junkie!

TL;DR
    I say YES, nanoweb phosphor bronze are absolutely worth the price.

I have tried the electric strings and well, they are a nice treat once in a while but not worth the money, verses the 7-8 dollar d'addario electric strings in my opinion (Canadian)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I've been using Elixirs for a few years now. I find them easy to play and last a long time.
    You can buy them online or on ebay in sets of 3 which breaks the cost down to around $20 a set. They used to be around $50 a set some years ago here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.