Elixer electric guitar strings stiffer that other strings?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Guitartom_ca, Dec 14, 2019.

1. Guitartom_ca

Guitartom_ca Tele-Holic

i usually play D'addario 9-46 strings on my Tele. I decided to try Elixer Nanoweb strings the same Gauge.
    I find that the elixer strings are a lot stiffer to bend than the D'addario strings. anyone else notice this?

2. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to use Elixirs for years, but I don't remember noticing a difference from the Ernie Balls I was using before. I suppose it at least makes sense, given that Elixirs have that coating on them.

For what it's worth, I got tired of the coating flaking off of Elixirs, as well as the less trebly (to not say "warmer" or "more dull") tone I got while using them. I switched to Cleartones, and they've lasted as advertised and sound brighter. I forget how the math works out, but the greater expense is worth it (they cost 1.5x as much but last 3x as much, or something like that).

Toadtele likes this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

We're just talking the wound strings, right?

First three strings should feel no different.

As for the wound strings, they certainly could have different gauge wrap wire and core wire.

I'm using GHS pure nickel burnished over a hex core and they feel huge. Sound huge, too!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I got a free set of Elixir electric 10's with a couple of acoustic sets ages ago I keep forgetting to try. If they are slightly stiffer and darker to play it will be a good thing as I used daddario 11's before the last string change and preferred them to 10's on a new partscaster tele with jumbo frets.

5. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

I haven’t noticed that the elixirs are stiffer. I used a couple sets last summer when I couldn’t get my hands on some cleartones quickly. But I definitely prefer the cleartones

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I would agree with that. I use the 3-pack D'Addarios most of the time the last few years. Now and then I'll pick up a set of Elixers of same gauge and they do feel a tad thicker and less pliable to me, at least when I first put them on.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If they feel stiffer you might want to try their optiweb version which is their newest.

I install nanos on all my builds that go out the door. I will probably switch over to optiweb the next time I buy a bulk of them.

Many just get used to the feel of a particular string brand and type and nothing else feels quite the same, even if they can't put their finger on it.

I think elixir are great but it also depends on playing style. If you change strings weekly, which I have played with guys in bands who are hard on strings and do, they aren't worth it. They idea behind the coating is they will stay sounding as they do longer due to oil and dirt build up from your strings. I have known some who play weekly on a stage that have them last for 3 months before changing. Those are they guys they work best for. I have also known others who use heavy picks or are hard on their attack who wear thru the coating in no time and it starts flaking. Those are players they also aren't for in my experience.

Eric

8. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I have used a few sets of Optiwebs. I do think they’re a bit darker and less zingy than most un-coated strings but no difference in stiffness. It’s the right time of year for a truss rod adjustment maybe try that.

I have had the coating on the Nanowebs on my acoustic flake/shred after months but the Optiwebs haven’t done that.

I think the Optiwebs are the best Elixirs. They really last forever.

eallen and highgreenchilly like this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I've had a couple of sets of Elixirs and I couldn't get along with them for the same reason as the OP. Both times I went back to Rotosound Yellows very quickly so I can't give an opinion on their longevity. No criticism of them: they're just not for me.

10. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Holic

I just recently got 3 sets of the Elixir Polyweb 10-46 strings that were at a special "One-Time" buy on Amazon for $6.99 a set. The package says they are for a warm tone with the Nanoweb being bright and the Optiweb being crisp tone. IIRC the Polyweb strings (now installed on my tele) are a little stiffer than the Optiweb set I tried a couple years back (both being the same gauge set).

Elixier does say the Optiweb strings feel natural.

11. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I only tried them once, but that was my impression.

12. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Afflicted

I'm using them and love them myself. Pollywebs and Nanowebs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.