Elite Telecaster with S-1 switch - out of phase?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by marcelkrajca, Mar 30, 2020.

1. marcelkrajca

marcelkrajca TDPRI Member

Hi folks,

I own an American Elite Telecaster 2016 with S-1 switch and I was wondering what is the easiest way to create Out-Of-Phase?

I've read about 4way wiring switch solution but that means I need to buy the switch and there is a lot of skills and soldering involved.

Is there an easier way to accomplish the desired with just what I have inside the guitar?

I don't mind doing the wiring (if it is easy)

Many thanks,
    Marel

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

If you don’t want the series option then you can rewire the S1 to flip the phase of the neck pickup instead (but you can’t easily have both). Still takes soldering but it should be fairly straightforward. Look up the Baja wiring diagram and see how they’ve done it.

3. marcelkrajca

Many thanks @AAT65 . I actually don't mind not having series. The only S-1 Baja wiring diagram I found has 4 way switch. Not sure I'll be able to translate that onto my 3 way switch on my own :(

4. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

I have a push-pull volume pot instead of an S1 for phase flipping as well as a 4-way for series parallel on one of my Teles. It works but I'm just not a big fan of the OOP sound. It's better in series, not as thin & whiney. But I have better uses for that pot.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Surprised to hear someone is so willing to sacrifice the Series/In Phase sound.

As the owner of seven 50s Bajas and various other guitars with the Bill Lawrence 5 way mod, in playing them into a second decade now, I am now in agreement with so many of my fellow TDPRI'ers, that the Out of Phase is too much of a gimmick. Whether Series/OOP, or Parallel/Half out of Phase.

When we move in the direction of the Baja, remember that these are not RWRP and there is no respite available for 60 cycle racket. And, at least in the Baja, there's so many wires and so many connections that the guitar is plumb noisy just played Neck Pickup Only or Bridge Pickup Only. Definitely not the guitar I reach for when writing and I can't see using it for recording either.

wabashslim likes this.
  6. marcelkrajca

when you say 'gimmick' do you mean that this does not represent a true OOP? Shall I then buy a Brian May guitar instead?

7. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

Do you want to keep the series wiring when the S1 switch is depressed? The Elite's wiring is fairly complex, due to the series option. Here's the diagram, a few pages in: https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender American Elite Telecaster 011421XXXX Service Manual REV A 10-26-15.pdf

One option would be to use a 5 way so you could get an out of phase (just leave off the capacitor) or half-way out of phase form Bill Lawrence's wiring. You'd have to figure out how to do this in place of the current 3-way to keep the Series/Parallel option. Here's BL's diagram: https://www.wildepickups.com/pages/tele-5-way-with-half-out-of-phase

If you don't want to keep the series option, you'd want to figure out how to rewire your S1 by removing the serious and adding the out-of-phase. For out of phase, you have to switch the positive and negative wires on the neck pickup.

Another option would be to keep your 3-way switch and install a mini switch between the volume and tone pots. (I have mine slightly towards the tone pot, rather than midway, so that my hand has better access to the volume knob.)

Having the S1 with the series option complicates your choices and the wiring options.

8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

James Burton made good use of it on those Ricky Nelson records. And Gary Rossington sounds like he's using it on "That Smell" and of course Peter Green. There have been others that I don't recall now, but yeah, I can do without it on my Teles. It works better on Gibsons where you can tweak it better.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.