Elite Tele Pickup suggestions.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by dssgump, Jul 19, 2019.

1. dssgump

dssgump TDPRI Member

So I have any Elite Tele and I love everything about it. The neck is perfect for me. Love the belly cut and s-1 switch. I’m a little underwhelmed by the pickups. I want this Tele to be lively and spank. I have another low end American Tele. The USA pro Telecaster HS and it just has no name fenders and to be honest they have more of that Tele spank and are louder.

So I want suggestions for a pickups swap. The guy at guitar center suggested the twisted Tele set. Any thoughts?

I also thought about converting the bridge to a 3 brass barrel bridge but that seems like overkill and wouldn’t change much.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

No real pickup suggestions - other than my favorite set that Fender has used on a "modern-style" Tele was the Twisted Tele neck/Broadcaster bridge they used on American Standards from March 2012-through being discontinued at the end of 2016. But I don't believe you can buy that version of the Broadcaster bridge unless it's been parted out from an American Standard or a Baja 50s.

As far as the bridge - don't forget if you do go for a 3-saddle bridge you'll need one designed to replace the American Standard/American Deluxe/American Elite bridge so the plate will line up with the holes in the body.

3. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

+1 on the Broadcaster/Twisted combo.

I have this set and for me it makes for a good all around tele.

I did replace the neck on my '13 AmSTD with a vintage/ modern style from a Triple Tele and now it is my number 1.

4. dssgump

dssgump TDPRI Member

Any opinions on the twisted Tele pair? The broadcaster pickup seems hard to fine. It’s the twisted Tele set based on that baja combo?

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kinmans!
    They’re dead quiet, and sound great.
    I have them in my Strat, and J type basses.
    I have a set on order for my gold top, too.

BB likes this.
  6. Stratandtele

Stratandtele Tele-Meister

Cavalier Pickups makes some damn fine tele pickups. He has a bunch of different winds for different sounds. You should be able to find something you like. Also, Rob is a TDPRI member! I also very much enjoy the twisted tele/broadcaster set in my newer white guard strat (one of them parallel universe dealies). I do believe Fender still offers them in some guitars.

BB likes this.
  7. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I swapped mine out for a set of Fender Custom Shop Twisted Tele pickups. Also removed the S1 switch. Now it's just a killer sounding Tele.

8. srvbluezz

srvbluezz Tele-Holic

When my bridge mfd died I got a sd antiquity flatpole...amazing pu

9. Tullecaster

Tullecaster TDPRI Member

I do not have experience with the twisted tele sets but know a couple of folks who really like them. Jason Lollar's stuff is really great in my opinion. I have tried both the Vintage T and J Streets in the bridge and to me they sound great.

BB likes this.
  10. dssgump

dssgump TDPRI Member

I should have mentioned I want hum cancel in the middle position. Does the twisted tele pickup set do this?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.