Eliminating Ground Hum

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by scottser, Sep 11, 2019.

1. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I've noticed recently that my special 6 hums and buzzes a lot. I have moved into a new room in the house and I've changed a fair amount of stuff around.
    i have my amps and pedals on one plug board into one wall outlet. i have my small vocal pa and roland electric kit on another board into another outlet. i notice that if i touch the metal chassis of the special 6 the amp quietens down but comes back when i remove my hand. am i right in thinking this is a ground loop?
    i have my eye on one of these, which may help:

https://www.behringer.com/Categorie...ssors/DI-Boxes/HD400/p/P0387#googtrans(en|en)

if anyone has any tips or has solved issues like this i'd be grateful if you could chime in. a noise, annoys..

2. Volktar

Volktar TDPRI Member

Hum always? Even with guitar turned down?
    Hum can be a difficut beast to tackle, especially when wee're talking single coils. A lot of it is just the environment. Wiring in specific venues (in this case your house). I know my bedroom makes my amp hum more than other places. That said, if your hum is legitimately more than normal, it is more than likely a ground issue. That is the source of most hum beyond the standard 60c.

Do you have another guitar to plug in so you can rule out grounding on the guitar itself? My Tele had some grounding issues. Gutted it, replaced all wiring, and replaced the ****ty guitar string grounding the bigsby with a strand of silver wire. Made a WORLD of difference for me.

scottser likes this.
  3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

try everything on one power strip if you can. if not, try more than one chained. also, if it is the amp, you may try a humx by ebtech.

play music!

scottser likes this.
  4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1. Have you tested the power outlets to make sure they are properly grounded and have the right polarity? A 3 prong outlet might not be grounded, and it's not uncommon to find outlets with hot and neutral reversed. If any of those problems exist you need an electrician (or someone properly qualified) to fix it.

Outlet testers are about $6-7 at hardware stores, Home Depot etc.

2. Are there any light dimmers, fluorescent bulbs (including the little twisty "power saver" bulbs) or motorized equipment (fans, air conditioners or refrigerators)in the room *or* on the same circuit breaker?

If so, dimmers need to be replaced with standard switchers; fluorescent bulbs with incandescent or LED's; and motorized equipment plugged into outlets on different circuit breakers.

3. Are you using any 3 prong adapters? If so, test them to make sure they're wired correctly.

4. Is all your gear grounded correctly and do you have everything plugged in with the correct polarity? You can find plenty of resources by using Google - but don't waste your time until you've handled 1-3 above. Direct boxes with ground loop eliminators, hum reducers and so on are useless if you have any of the listed problems.

And ground lifts are not usually safe solutions A "lift" switch can make *you* the ground, and should only be used in specific situations wherew you know PRECISELY what the problem is and that a ground lift is appropriate.

dan40 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.