1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electrosonic jack mount(cup)

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Twangmaster7, Oct 16, 2020.

1. Twangmaster7

Twangmaster7 TDPRI Member

Hello boys, what's your experience with replacing your original style Tele jack plate with the electrosonic jack plate Stewmac sells? It's backordered through Stewmac. I thought about getting the Allparts one from Amazon which looks identical. I see there is problems with the threads sometimes Screenshot_20201016-213303_Chrome.jpg so I was gonna get the new jack along with it.

Thank you and God Bless!
    Rob Ransom

haggardfan1 likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

No need IMO. The problem that people seem to have is jacks loosening and twisting...in which case all you need to do is tighten them...a lot, if necessary.

Firstly, I've never had a single problem with a vintage style Telecaster jack, and I don't know why so many people [seemingly almost entirely on the Internet] seem to. I was the sound guy at a club for over two years, and must have seen literally a hundred Teles played. Not one jack issue, and I never noticed an Electrosocket (and yes, I noticed all the little stuff like that on people's guitars). Plenty of jack issues on Strats and Les Pauls, though!

Secondly, if I did decide that I truly needed the jack cup to be screwed in, all I'd need to do to serve the same function as the Electrosocket would be to remove the stock pronged insert, tighten the hell out of the jack nut (maybe glue the threads while I was at it), drill and countersink two (or three) holes in the stock jack cup, and add two cheap hardware store screws that I probably already have floating around here. Effective, quick, and basically free, being doable with stuff most people have laying around the house (a drill or drill press with some bits, a few screws, and some glue).

Thirdly, I don't like the way they look.

If you like the look of the Electrosocket, and you don't mind spending the little extra money on a fresh assembly or build, sure. I can see it. But as far as replacing the stock cup on an already existent guitar, I just don't get it.

I turned mine into an external speaker jack on the back of my Gibson Skylark. Looks cool there, and the screws are actually needed in that case.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  3. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Electrosocket is always the right answer and if you put it in right, you can use just about any 90 degree plug if you ever need to.

4. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

The retainer piece on a factory Tele jack is one of the flimsiest pieces of metal I've ever dealt with. Poorly designed and poorly, if never, updated in a half century?

Put an Electrosocket in your guitar and never worry again.

5. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Put in an electrsocket and throw that original piece of junk in the trash

6. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

If you have to monkey with the original don't even try. Just replace it with the Eelectrosocket. I'ts not that hard, and I think Leo would tell you same.

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.
  7. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Problem with threads ?
    Only issue I know is the usual one , buy an original Electrosocket , and the threads for the jack will be Imperial
    Get one from anyone else , and it will have metric threads

8. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

There are metric and imperial jack sockets. That would cause thread trouble if you mixed them up.

9. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but if it is broken, as mine was on my new Tele which made me mightily fed up I might add, installing an electrosocket will ensure it will not break again.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  10. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Can you get the socket and jack as a full kit?

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

ElectrosOCKET is the only way to go for a tele.
    The original design jack is an accident waiting to happen and Fender's persistence in using it totally buffling.

haggardfan1 and brookdalebill like this.
  12. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Wow.

13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Allparts had them before Stewmac.
    Cheaper ebay deals might be crap and as noted some cheapos are metric thread.
    A good seller will state those details.
    $10.50 is the usual high Amazon pricing.
    Looks OK though.

14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Fender may have had a minor change of heart.
    The Ultra and Britt Daniel Thinline are fitted with Electrosockets.

Tele_Britt-Daniel_Electrosocket.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  15. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Nickel plated brass Allparts AP-5270-001 $7.99
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U3FN5U4/?tag=tdpri-20

The aluminium and black ones on Amazon, Allparts AP-5270-011 and AP-5270-003 seem to be more expensive.

Also available in gold and chrome, AP-5270-002 and AP-5270-010

16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have Electrosockets on all three of my Teles.
    They are a brilliant, cheap and absolutely perfect solution to a 70 year old problem.
    Once installed the jack will not move/loosen.
    Like my favorite wife used to say, “What’s not to like?”

haggardfan1 likes this.
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

I too have electro socket jacks in all my teles as well. I have had a couple retainer failures with the stock jack cups.
    No worries with an electrosocket cup and a Switchcraft jack.

haggardfan1 likes this.
  18. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Musicians Friend has Allparts electrosockets for $5 and Switchcraft jacks for $3. With the current promotion, they're selling both at 25% off -- six bucks (plus sales tax, if applicable) for both pieces.

telemnemonics likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Electrosockets are a good upgrade to your guitar. $4-$5 mod and simple to install.

Note that you set the depth stop on the jack when installing in the cup -- you want the lip of the jack just below the bottom of the cup. That way when you stab the cord plug at the guitar you only need to be in the general area and it will go right in. Regular Tele cups you have to flip the guitar up and look to make sure it's lined up.

The fast fix, noted previously, looks like this:
    Angle the screws to the sides of the holes you drilled in the corners of the cup so they go out into the wood like the Electrosocket. Do it carefully and the cup screws will lock the jack nut from loosening. This one isn't going anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    tubegeek and haggardfan1 like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Ahhh that's a good number!
    I generally stock up on them when I get low or (gasp) run out.
    Panic ensues when I can't find another one in my parts menagerie because I forgot to restock.
    Bread & butter for me, they work, and aside from now and then the jack getting loose in the body of the thing, they just never do the sudden blown speaker explosions that the old time cup does if you don't keep it tuned up.

I've done the drill & screw the stamped steel cups but the jack can still turn loose even with the nut secured by the screws, and the screwdriver is impeded by the jack lip so the screws get messed up.
    Good solution in an emergency though, like when I run out of electrosockets.

I've had one bad experience buying an "electrosocket" after the first few I used and ran out of, before I discovered that the original maker who came up with the name did no protect the name.

Now I'm not sure that the original maker even still exists, but it seems like Allparts might have been the first distributor as I bought one in maybe 2001 or so in an Allparts blister pack.

Now any old factory can make them and call them electrosocket, so you do need to confirm that they are not import junk.
    I've also found that they will loosen up, so I make sure they get only a star style locknut and tighten them well.
    A little hard to tighten because there is no provision for grabbing the jack with a wrench, and pliers can crush the springy contacts and mess up the proper grab on the plug.

tamer_of_banthas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.