1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electrosocket question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by JohnS, Aug 1, 2012.

1. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

What do you use to "lock" the jack to the Electrosocket? I'm guessing a star washer and a nut on the back side? What works best? Thanks.

2. LocustPlague

LocustPlague Tele-Holic

I think just screwing it in place is fine. Unless you hold it by the jack plug and spin, it won't come unscrewed.

If I HAD to put something on it, I might water down white glue and put a drop on the threads. It will come off later but it will take a little bit of persuasion.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

It screws on, and you use a nut or two and a washer to make sure the jack is in line (flush) with the socket. Then the electro socket is mounted with two screws to the guitar body. It's not going anywhere.

4. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Got it. And the washer is a star or gripping washer, right?

5. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

No, it doesn't have to be a star or gripping washer. Just put the standard washer and nut on the input jack and then screw the electrosocket onto the jack.

Putting the washer and nut on the threads helps to act as a spacer and keep the input end of the jack flush with the bottom of the electrosocket so your guitar cord slips right in (see photo below).

Just snug the assembly up with a pair of needle-nose pliers (on the jack) and you will be fine.

Attached Files:

6. Guitarz

Guitarz TDPRI Member

Loctite.

7. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Thanks all.

8. tfsails

tfsails Friend of Leo's

I kept the backing plate in the jack hole when I installed my electrosocket. I inserted the jack behind the backing plate with the threads extending enough through the hole in the plate to engage the electrosocket. Tightening down the electrosocket made the whole deal tight enough that it'll never work loose. It's been about 18 months now since I've done this and I haven't had one problem with the jack.

9. J.E.M.

J.E.M. Tele-Meister

If you leave a little more of the jack sticking out you might find you can also use a cord with a right angled end - seems when you're that deep in the socket a straight cord is your only option.

10. psyched

psyched Tele-Holic

I don't know that you need anything, really... as Locust said, it's threaded so it's not going anywhere. You'll mess up the solder joints in the wiring trying to turn the jack around before it would ever fall out of the guitar. (And what the heck would you be doing spinning the jack???)

11. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Worked perfectly. Thanks! I added a small drop of white glue to the threads for luck. :D

12. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

The star washer (& nut behind) not only grips but ensures electrical contact.

The jack needs to be well screwed into the Electrosocket, beyond flush, or you will not be able to use all right-angle jack plugs. Test fit to your right-angle plugs before fitting.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  13. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

A star washer was too thick. I only use straight plugs. I'm good to go.

14. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Star washer too thick?

There's plenty of room for a couple of nuts and washers behind the socket. You're not trying to put a nut on the outside are you? - the socket is threaded, it is a nut.

15. donh

donh Tele-Afflicted

Just screw the #11 into the electrosocket. The more the threads stick out, the more a right-angle plug will likely seat properly. It has to go around a *lot* of times to truely come loose - I've never had one loosen at all.

16. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Not on my setup. One thin nut, one thin flat washer and the top of the jack was flush with the bottom of the Electrosocket. This is a "real" Electrosocket and a Switchcraft jack. And I'm the only nut on the outside. ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.