1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electrosocket install

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Mr. Scary, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Anyone put an electrosocket in their CVC? I ordered one. When I got it, it looks like the actual jack should screw into the new electrosocket plate. This would eliminate the need for the washers and hex nut on the original, right? So I thought, but, the jack's threads are smaller than the electrosocket.
    What am I missing here? do I need to order a new jack as well? Also does the stock plate that's in the hole come out when you install the new electrosocket?

:confused::?::confused:

Any help on install tips would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

You need a standard-sized jack. The jack screws right into the electrosocket, eliminating the need for any other hardware.

You want the jack made by Switchcraft.

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Thanks for the response Higgs.
    Standard-sized jack,,,,,,that's what i thought was in the guitar to start with lollol!!!!

So, is the switchcraft 'standard' jack thicker around the threads than a stock jack?
    I would think a 1/4" jack, is a 1/4" jack,,,right?

Here's what I'm seeing at Switchcraft:

I'm guessing product '11' on this page.

http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=68

4. Higgs F. Boson

Higgs F. Boson Tele-Holic

Yes, that looks right. Stock jack is metric, doesn't fit electrosocket.

5. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Thanks again Higgs!!! Ordering it today!

G

6. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

You will still need a nut on the jack behind the electrosocket to keep the jack from twisting.

Warmoth, for example, sells their electrosocket/jack combo with nut and washer.

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I never put a nut behind an electrosocket, just a lock washer.
    Even then, the jack does not have the same twist issues as with the traditional plate where the nut will fall off.
    If a nut is included, it may simply be because it came with the jack, and when you buy a socket jack combo you get what you paid for.

If you use a right angle plug on your guitar cable you can even eliminate the washer, depending on the actual RA plug, and the actual electrosocket itself, since many are knockoffs with different depth.

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Well this is what I ordered first.

Amazon.com: Electrosocket Jack Plate for Telecasters® - Anodized Chrome Finish: Musical [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41K8Ix459PL

Now I have this on the way as well as the L11 in case i might need length.

Amazon.com: Switchcraft 11 Mono Female 1/4-Inch Jack with Nut and Washer, Nickel Finish: Musical [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41rWd3tvsIL

Should be able to make it work. They both come with a nut, but i think the lock washer, although probably not needed, isn't a bad idea. We'll see when the other part comes.

Thanks again all for the replies. Installation pics will follow.

9. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Probably should've order from Warmoth, but, this way is less than 1/2 the cost.
    Hindsight is 20/20 LOLLOL!!!

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The last ones I ordered were from an ebay seller I don't remember, it was a couple of years ago, the first one was good and came with a switchcraft jack for around $7, so I ordered another 10.

I have also ordered one that was unusable, and only once bought one with the actual original "Electrosocket" brand on the packaging.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.