1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electronics store?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Marc Morfei, Dec 14, 2020.

1. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Discharge a capacitor" got a soldering iron, got two jumpers?

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Everything we've been ordering on Amazon has gotten here quickly. Recently, I've gotten a couple of pedals the next day and a big, not-on-Prime, furniture item we ordered arrived in about 5 days. Maybe it's because we live rather close to 2 Amazon distribution warehouses.

3. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

4. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

sure

5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I used to stock up on my electronic bits at Fry’s when I was stateside.. esp. good for leaded solder.

Are they still going?

6. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

See post #12...

7. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

If all else fails, move to Houston
    and talk with my brother in law.
    When I lived in Houston he showed me
    places to get salvage electronics and every
    kind of electronics parts you can imagine.
    I can't remember names, but a couple of the places were vast, with row after row of electronics.
    The bad part was that Houston also is vast and my favorite store was over an hour away in bumper-traffic, each way. Fortunately this store also is a big mail-order source and I could get stuff delivered across town by UPS for less than it cost to drive to the store.

Mark

8. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

let the iron (it's a big resistor, right?) be the load... one jumper +, one jumper -... two prong plug (1 spade +, 1 spade -).

9. boop

boop Tele-Holic

Don't want to pay $8 shipping? To get exactly what you need delivered to your door? How much is your time worth? Can you just justify it by buying more stuff you'll probably need later? If you just need a few resistors or capacitors or the like, get a resistor kit off of someplace like ebay, prices are reasonable and shipping is often "free".

SRHmusic likes this.
  10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

Yeah, you can get a big assortment box of resistors on the cheap with free shipping.

But the better answer here is that there are alternative methods as mentioned.

I am not a skilled/experienced amp tech, but a basic understanding of theory leads me to think if a simple resistor will safely discharge a cap, there are other ways that would work.

Example: In my toolbox I keep an automotive head light bulb equipped with leads and clips that I use for a load (resistor) for basic circuit tests.
    If a 5c resistor will safely discharge a cap, so would a light bulb. Just verify its discharged with a VOM right?

(Actually, you could monitor the voltage with a VOM and "watch" the discharge if you were so inclined)

Just a thought.

11. olewaylonfan74

olewaylonfan74 TDPRI Member

How about Tiger Direct?

12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

One thing to do is to find a set of like-minded friends. That way, you can buy in bulk, cheaply, then distribute. One time, I needed some 330 ohm resistors. Got them from a friend. Later, she needed some 555s. I hand a pile.

Stores for parts no longer exist around here. Last time I bought anything locally, I needed a voltage regulator and one of the last Radio Shacks had it. I know it was in the last 9 years, because I had both children with me.

The only place I go now in person is Axeman Surplus in the Twin Cities. When I get up there.

13. Gaz_

Gaz_ Tele-Meister

This is my bane. Before I start a project, I order everything weeks in advance, I hate the idea of waiting for the bits when I've started. So, I've built my latest pedal, and when I got to the last pot, I discovered it was broken (the shaft had come out) I contacted the supplier last monday, and I'm still waiting for the replacement!

And now, I've just checked, and I've said the wrong one was broken, I ordered a 10k and a 1m, the 1m's broken and I've asked for a replacement 10k! Now I've had to order another 1m. So that's lord knows how many more days before I can find out if the pedal works!

In the UK, we used to have Maplins, but that's gone. Online is the only option now.

14. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah I have a MarVac about 5 minutes away, I go there quite a bit. Very well-stocked on electronics. I don't know if it's a nationwide chain or not.

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I thought Fry's was gone? Some are anyway.

16. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

https://www.yellowpages.com/wilmington-de/electronic-parts

17. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

For pedal and amp components, try Smallbear Electronics online. I have purchased lots of electronics parts from them for pedal projects and have been very happy with their service and selection of hard to find parts.

18. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Amazon Prime.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.