Electronics experts: need help with a pin connector ID

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
I need a hand tracking down the crimp pins in a quick-disconnect in a wiring harness. Can someone help me identify the crimp connector type shown in the photo? It's been removed from a two-wire clip as shown in the second photo. They aren't "dupont" connectors, which rely on a tab in the plastic housing to prevent backing out when inserted and are longer than these, they have a small tab on the crimp pin itself that pops up into a slot on the clip when inserted. None of my friendly neighborhood electronics stores with a DIY section have these, just the dupont connectors, and places online such as Mouser have thousands of different connectors so I'm looking for a needle in a haystack when it comes to narrowing down what I need. Any help is appreciated.
IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG

tubegeek

Friend of Leo's
Those look like Molex to me - try an auto parts store, better prices than electronics stores, and much more commonly found.

Davecam48

Poster Extraordinaire
If the male plugs are flat and wide they could be an adaption of a "spade lug" but not one I've seen here in OZ in about 55yrs in the electronics game. The spring clip/locking device is a good idea. Perhaps it's a an auto/motor bike adaption of the universal spade lug and socket? Some photos of them side on, with a shot looking down into the socket would be helpful.

DC

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Question- Is the header on the right photo for the male/pins or female/socket side?

There are so many connector styles in this size range it's quite maddening. You might consider purchasing a connector kit from DigiKey or Mouser or Pololu (robotics supply company) rather than match these exactly.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I did a quick scout on ebay for you and yes they look like Molex split pin connectors I went through 20 pages of molex parts ( there were a lot more) the big question is what do need the match for those pins ? or the mate connectors ? or extra pins ? check them out but it will be a little research on your part .

guitarman4805

NEW MEMBER!
Molex is a goog guess from experience, but in my experience this looks like and AMP connector; type used in early computer atx type interconnects. I googled amp connector pins and there is the connector shell and pins. Hope this helps

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
One other question: It helps to know the pitch of the two pins in the photo at right, e.g. 1.25mm, 2mm, etc. If you have some calipers or a scale could you measure that? (pitch = center to center distance) Most connector families use the pitch as a key identifier.

EDIT: This is darn close, by the way... actually seems exact, but I can't figure out exactly the pitch or find other small distributors or even similar photos. It's likely a JST style two pin connector, but there are a lot of variants out there.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QWT-1-0mm-2mm-male-female_62318758394.html

Here's the one I'm talking about, pasted below, from that page. Anyway, if you can measure the pitch it will help narrow it down. It's like a JST PH or XH style cable connector.

upload_2020-11-16_0-13-48.png

Last edited:

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
Question- Is the header on the right photo for the male/pins or female/socket side?

There are so many connector styles in this size range it's quite maddening. You might consider purchasing a connector kit from DigiKey or Mouser or Pololu (robotics supply company) rather than match these exactly.
That's the male end.
I did a quick scout on ebay for you and yes they look like Molex split pin connectors I went through 20 pages of molex parts ( there were a lot more) the big question is what do need the match for those pins ? or the mate connectors ? or extra pins ? check them out but it will be a little research on your part .
Those look like Molex to me - try an auto parts store, better prices than electronics stores, and much more commonly found.
I looked at Molex and those are too large, they're the type that connects power supplies in a computer to the disk drives and fans, etc. from what I've seen.

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
One other question: It helps to know the pitch of the two pins in the photo at right, e.g. 1.25mm, 2mm, etc. If you have some calipers or a scale could you measure that? (pitch = center to center distance) Most connector families use the pitch as a key identifier.

EDIT: This is darn close, by the way... actually seems exact, but I can't figure out exactly the pitch or find other small distributors or even similar photos. It's likely a JST style two pin connector, but there are a lot of variants out there.
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QWT-1-0mm-2mm-male-female_62318758394.html

Here's the one I'm talking about, pasted below, from that page. Anyway, if you can measure the pitch it will help narrow it down. It's like a JST PH or XH style cable connector.

View attachment 786016
That looks exactly right. JST is the type?
The socket is deep enough that I couldn't get the caliper in to measure the pin separation directly, but measuring between the right side of the channels where the pop-up tab engages puts them at 2.09mm. I'd say pitch is 2mm on that basis.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
That's the male end.

I looked at Molex and those are too large, they're the type that connects power supplies in a computer to the disk drives and fans, etc. from what I've seen.
what are you needing to do with them"? as pickup disconnects? becuse i have about 10 2 pin male and female connectors that I bought for that purose but never did use them.

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
what are you needing to do with them"? as pickup disconnects? becuse i have about 10 2 pin male and female connectors that I bought for that purose but never did use them.
Yes. I'm rewiring a three-pickup Gretsch 5622T. There's not much room to work with in there and having those clips to completely remove the pickups before trying to fish out the harness helped a lot.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
JST is a generic category. Lots of manufacturers make a variety of them. JST PH is a 2mm type. It may be easier to purchase a kit and do your own rather than trying to match these exactly.

SRHmusic

Tele-Afflicted
Great info, thanks for your help on this everyone. I just placed an order for this kit, which is way more than I need but will get here this week.
Cool. Do you have a crimper? Makes life easier. The big wire stripper tools have some crimping areas on the jaws. The biggest expense is the crimper, actually.

Edit: Also, be sure you're getting the free-hanging male and female connector housings unless you want one side in a PCB. The 2.54mm is a good size, by the way, for 0.1 inch center holes found in breadboards and prototyping PCBs.

Mr. Lumbergh

Poster Extraordinaire
Cool. Do you have a crimper? Makes life easier. The big wire stripper tools have some crimping areas on the jaws. The biggest expense is the crimper, actually.

Edit: Also, be sure you're getting the free-hanging male and female connector housings unless you want one side in a PCB. The 2.54mm is a good size, by the way, for 0.1 inch center holes found in breadboards and prototyping PCBs.
Yeah, I do. I have a crimper and set of dupont-style connections for pedal builds, prototype boards, etc.