1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electronic Circuit Simulator Apps

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by JamesAM, Sep 12, 2020.

1. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone here uses a simulator app to sketch out a project before starting a custom build- I was wondering if folks use one to fine tune voltages, bias, and component values prior to soldering, but to also identify potential layout/spatial hangups. I’m familiar with tools like SPICE, but I was wondering if there was something out there that that let you also build from a chassis layout as opposed to just a schematic.

thanks!

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like you'd like DIYLC.

https://bancika.github.io/diy-layout-creator/

[​IMG]

It doesn't have circuit simulation, but is a great tool for going from schematic to layout, and is pretty visually-oriented. Even local amp guru Rob Robinette (@robrob) has used this tool for amp layouts:
    https://robrobinette.com/DIYLC_Files_by_Rob_Robinette.htm

I have used many circuit simulator apps, from the extremely simple: http://www.falstad.com/circuit/
    to tools like LTSpice and Tina-TI but mostly to test smaller "building blocks" that I then stick together in something like DIYLC or Eagle to do a layout.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    awasson and JamesAM like this.
  3. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Ahhh I can’t believe I’ve never seen that on robs site- that’s rad! Yeah, I’ve been checking, and it doesn’t look like anything exists that lets you start from a layout and simulate there if you want to switch up resistor values or see whether you need to put filter caps into a doghouse or something. However, it looks like DIYLC gets you close, if I’m looking at it right- you just need to update the schematic in your simulator as you move things around in DIYLC.

Thanks so much for the tip, I’m going to download the code now!

4. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I was just searching around because I swear I'd seen a feature request for exporting a SPICE netlist from DIYLC, and there it is; last item on the list of features on the webpage.
    I'd prefer to be able to export a DIYLC file from a simulator, but this is close enough. I'm gonna try it just to see what happens...

robrob and JamesAM like this.
  5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

EasyEda is the cool thing right now. It has a simulation mode, if you are technical enough to supply the information it needs.
    I am not. :D

https://easyeda.com/

JamesAM and tweedy_woodpecker like this.
  6. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

I have an older program that I might be able to share.

JamesAM likes this.
  7. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

8. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

There are several programs that do what you're asking (Eagle, Altium, many more...) They're pretty much universally used these days to design electronics so they're quite well developed and complete tools, but the flip side is they're used by people designing *modern* electronics so they're focused on PCB design. With some creativity you can use them to layout and simulate anything, but it's a bit like using a howitzer to swat a fly. They're expensive tools full of features you don't need for this hobby. It's easier (and free) to simulate in ltspice then do the layout with something like diylc. Pencil is pretty easy too.

JamesAM likes this.
  9. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

DIYLC now has "File/Analyze/Generate SPICE Netlist" and "Generate DIYLC Netlist" functions that can be used to export schematic and layouts into SPICE. I haven't used it but it's there.

JamesAM likes this.
  10. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Thanks- yeah, you nailed it. An open source layout-focused tool that’s not so specifically focused on PCB design (with the semiconductors that go along with it) is what I’m after. I’m going to give the new DIYLC functions a try and see how they work.

the impetus behind this was basically seeing if there was a tool out there that would help me reverse engineer a Marshall SV20 to create an eyelet board and shoehorn the whole thing into an 18 watt chassis/cab. I’m not so sure it would work with the el34s.

Thanks again everyone

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.