Electro-Voice Force 12 speakers - value?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by overlook1977, May 5, 2021.

1. overlook1977

overlook1977 Tele-Meister

I was taking a walk in my neighborhood and noticed a 2x12 combo cabinet sitting on the side of the road with dark brown tolex and no chassis. Needless to say i grabbed it and took it back with me. I have no idea what kind of amp this was but it has two 8 ohm Electro-Voice Force 12 speakers in it. I ran a little 15 watt pro junior through the speakers and they work fine.

1). Does anyone have any idea what the value of these speakers are? I’ve seen a pretty big range online, from $69 to $200+.

2) Any guesses to what kind of amp this was and the possible age?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

uriah1, Bendyha and Jowes_84 like this.
  2. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I don't know what they're worth , but I think you scored ! Back in the '90s I put Force speakers in an empty 2x15 Fender Bassman cab I acquired . Sounded great then , and does now .

3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Force 12 appears to be like the Force 10 version of the EV10L - a small magnet version of the EV12L with a lower peak power for that reason. The finned back plate was for cooling. Not worth as much as a EV12L but should be maybe 60-70%.

They were a retail version of the OEM speakers sold to the likes of Fender and appearing in EV PA cabs.

4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

Man, how did the Pro Jr. sound through them? Maybe you ought to keep them! Either that chassis hole could be blocked off with something decorative (machine turned aluminum? Diamond plate?) or weird (single-tube blacklight?), or you could build one or two cabs to house them.

5. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That cabinet looks a whole lot like the early-70s Heathkit 2x12.

If you didn't know, Heathkit sold kits for electronics enthusiasts that ran the gamut from multimeters, stereo amplifiers, microphones, walkie-talkies, radios, TVs, to PA and guitar amplifiers. The Heathkit 2x12 was a transistor amp somewhere in the range of 60 watts, IIRC.

6. rdjones

rdjones Tele-Meister

The Force 12 was more similar to the EVM-12S with a smaller magnet.
    It used the same shallow cone and basket as the 12S with a 2.5" round wire voice coil (ie, not flat wound or "edge" wound like EVMs or SROs).

I gave $75 for the most recent one I bought on eBay a few years ago.
    I suppose the current market might be upwards of $100-125.

The Force is one of my favourite speakers right after an alnico SRO. :cool:

Jowes_84 likes this.
  7. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

I have a Force 10 in my '78 SFPR, and it sounds great. Weighs a ton, tho.

Jowes_84 likes this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The 10" speaker version without the Finned garnish is the optional speaker in the 83 Champ and Champ II. Bendyha discovered when he got the Superchamp he couldn't fit a full-size EV10L in with the chassis and reverb tank as the magnet interfered.

During as n argument on a pro audio page where some people claimed the EV10M didn't exist - someone posted an old EV parts list with a listing for these as an EV10M and IIRC they are rated 160 watts RMS instead of 200 due to the smaller ceramic biscuit magnet which dissipated less heat.

Jowes_84 likes this.
  9. lathoto

lathoto Tele-Meister

They are very good speakers. Super clean with a great low end. I would consider making an extension cabinet for them.

Jowes_84 likes this.
  10. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

Excellent find!
    Force 10s and 12s are great speakers
    Hard to describe but they don’t sound as transparent as the evms - some great character clean and a warm „bark“ when driven, not shrill, my kind of speaker. Congrats.
    Make sure they are in good condition (turn up the amp and bass and listen for artefacts) If not good - have them repaired.

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Those are on my short list. I'd figure $200 for the pair for a quick retail. And I think that's undervalued personally by 2/3, new equivalents would run $150+.

12. jackleg

jackleg Tele-Meister

i believe the amp is an 'acoustic 164'.

13. standup

standup TDPRI Member

I sold one on Craigslist a few years ago, it did not sell quickly. I may have gotten $30-40 for it. Good speaker, but I had replaced it with a Weber I liked better.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. overlook1977

Man you might be spot on with that. The cab looks exactly the same, and if that amp was from around 1980 that is in line with the age of the guy who previously owned it.

Now that I am looking, I wonder if its a G60-212 (Model 111) though. I think it is definitely an Acoustic amp, tolex, grill cloth, handle, everything matches what I am seeing online.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  15. overlook1977

Not sure if you call can tell if those speakers are wired parallel or series by the pics? I am not real sure what the total impedance is, the Pro Junior is 8 ohms I think. I have a Custom Deluxe Reverb and a Twin Reverb Reissue, but I was hesitant to put the more expensive amps through it.

To answer your question, I really need to go back and try again and push the speakers. I just had it on low volume and noodled around just enough to confirm they worked. I thought they sounded pretty good, but maybe the Twin or the Deluxe should be tried.

16. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What a score!
    I sold 3 Force 10's last year. I got $450 shipped for them. They are a bit rare though. The 12's should be worth $100 or more each though.
    Send me one!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2021
    Wally likes this.
  17. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

They are wired parallel as shown in your rear pic of the roadside cab. The 2-conductor speaker wire connects to the terminals of one speaker, and there’s a short two-conductor jumper connecting red to red and black to black on the second speaker (parallel). If one speaker goes down, either one, the other will still work.

In parallel, 2 x 8 ohm = 4 ohm total load.

If the incoming two-conductor wire connected to red on one speaker and black on the other, with a jumper between the two unused terminals, both speakers’ voice coils would be part of a single loop (series).

In series, 2 x 8 ohm = 16 ohm total load.

Wally likes this.
  18. overlook1977

Awesome, then I should be able to hook up my twin or deluxe then as I think both amps want to see 4 ohms. I should get some better sounds vs what I tried with the Pro Jr.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.