Electro Socket for G&L ASAT Tribute Classic?

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
Anyone ever done this? I don't mind the football jack, but it's coming loose, and the actual 1/4 phone jack is acting wonky. I like the Electro Socket, so why not?

I assume I'll need to hog out the opening a bit, but am not sure. Hence the question - So has anyone here performed this minor bit of surgery to their ASAT Classic Tribute model?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Anyone ever done this? I don't mind the football jack, but it's coming loose, and the actual 1/4 phone jack is acting wonky. I like the Electro Socket, so why not?

I assume I'll need to hog out the opening a bit, but am not sure. Hence the question - So has anyone here performed this minor bit of surgery to their ASAT Classic Tribute model?
No, I have not. Simpler to fix what you have and add a PureTone jack. Could end up chipping the bejeezus out of your finish trying to enlarge the port. Get larger screws or fill & drill what you have. Some people will go to a 4-hole rectangular plate, but that involves drilling new holes.

Last edited:

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
No, I have not. Simpler to fix what you have and add a PureTone jack. Could end up chipping the bejeezus out of your finish trying to enlarge the port. Get larger screws or fill & drill what you have. Some people will go to a 4-hole rectangular plate, but that involves drilling new holes.
I'm going to do both. I'll add the PureTone jack, and the electrosocket. I'll just take my chances. Not too worried about chipping the finish, sooner or later the guitar will get bumped, dropped, or something. My baja is a good example - it was sitting in a safe location on the couch when our dogs heard something and a group of them exploded off the couch, sending the Baja flying face first off the couch on to the hardwood floor. knocked a hunk of finish off the upper bout, and bent the control plate. I did a close repair where the finish was knocked off, although you can still see the difference in color. The control plate still needs to be replaced. Oh well, the saddles and bridge are already showing wear and tarnish from the hours logged on it in stinky, smoky pubs and clubs, dumps and dives.

Thanks for the tip on the Puretone, but isn't that just a stereo jack?

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks for the tip on the Puretone, but isn't that just a stereo jack?
No. They come in both flavors.

2022-07-07_19h26_55.jpg

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I'll try it. Could be a gimmick, but it's worth a shot. (Wanted to say, "it might be an illusion but might as well try", but figured few would get the reference)
They aren't a gimmick. They work very well - very solid connection. There is no improvement in tone, just a quiet connection that doesn't crackle.

Rhomco

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Unless you are playing a stadium gig with one guitar they are a gimmick. Thousands of guitars have them, millions dont need them.
IMHO,
Rob

Endless Mike

Friend of Leo's
They aren't a gimmick. They work very well - very solid connection. There is no improvement in tone, just a quiet connection that doesn't crackle.
I wouldn't expect an improvement in tone. What is really needed is a jack that doesn't unscrew itself from the jack assembly. I suppose that's what steel wool or fine grit sand paper is for.

Cam

Friend of Leo's
Just stumbled on to this exchange:
The g&l reamer use is good to know

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
Unless you are playing a stadium gig with one guitar they are a gimmick. Thousands of guitars have them, millions dont need them.
IMHO,
Rob
The same could be said for ElectroSockets, CTS controls, Switchcraft components, etc.. My suggestion was to do nothing other than upgrade to a PureTone jack because the OP was having trouble with his current jack. If I am going to replace a failing component, it makes sense to me to upgrade it to a better component. But that's me.

FWIW, I have never known anyone to remove a PT jack because it was worse than the original. Some people don't like the force needed to plug in the jack and the "two-step snap'. Anyone is free to purchase what they want, but because it is a different design doesn't mean it is a gimmick. If you need a new jack, consider one.

Last edited: