Electro-Harmonix XO Hum Debugger

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Doug 54, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

I'm curious about this from owners, or those who may have tried it.

The YT vids are impressive.

Pros/ Cons??

thanx!!

2. TheSmokingMan

TheSmokingMan Banned

I'm told it doesn't play well with reverb and delay pedals when it follows them in the chain

3. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Darrel Higham (rockabilly guitar player extraordinaire w/ Imelda May) uses one and raves about it. There is a slight phase issue at the max setting, but its better than the noise that he would have to put up at a live gig. I'm thinking about grabbing one as well - its a just in case pedal for me. Ha.

4. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

If your looking to get one make sure you get the power supply it comes with. It's very particular about power since it needs 7.5VAC at 200mA. No, you can't use a OneSpot or any power supply other than the one it comes with.

I would probably have it early in the chain, like after the tuner. You have to remember it is not a gate, what it does is uses phase cancellation to remove the 60 cycle hum so it needs be upstream like right after the tuner.

5. teleprompted

teleprompted Tele-Meister

I have one and it's great. Does exactly what it's supposed to do. I have never needed to use the strong setting. It works great on normal. Definitely put it first in the chain and not after reverbs or delays. Like this you will have a quiet signal that will then be processed by dirt boxes, modulation or what have you. Last thing you want to do is amplify an already noisy signal with a dirt pedal only to then try and clean it up with the humdebugger. Place it first on the normal setting and it will do its job. There is, however, a very slight change of tone. Its not necessarily good or bad but its different. You'll notice it more on the strong setting versus normal. Given you'll be using this at gig volumes it shouldn't be an issue. Try one out at a local shop if possible. Hope this helps

6. Doug 54

I play w/o pedals, just a bit of 'verb.

Thanx so far!!!

7. artdecade

Get one and be our crash test dummy!

8. Doug 54

hehehe!

Lord, if u only knew the number of 'crash test dummy' products I have bought!!

9. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

In perusing the thread here I see that the Hum Debugger does not behave like a gate, but does alter tone (due to phase cancellations, I take it).

Why would one choose this unit over ISP Decimator or BOSS NS-2?

10. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

Noise gates only remove the hum when you aren't playing. The debugger removes the hum at all times, but unfortunately can alter the tone (although this may only happen with certain amps?).

11. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I've had one for about two years and I love it. It's a life-saver in places (read as: just about everywhere) where there's TVs or neon lighting or old wiring. It makes my Tele nearly dead quiet. But...

Depending on where it is in the chain, there can be a slight digital artifact that I can only describe as a "micro delay". Almost like the comb filter inside the Debugger sometimes combines the uneffected signal and the debugged signal, but by just a few microseconds misses lining them up perfectly. Maybe an artifact of the analog to digital to analog processing inside the pedal?

I've also tried to find a good home for it in my direct-to-PA/PC rig which uses either a Line 6 POD or a Tech 21 SansAmp Tri-AC. This is where the "micro delay" effect becomes quite pronounced and makes the Debugger unusable in these situations. Which is a shame, because anything with single coils hums like a you-know-what when you get near a TV or PC monitor. Or, in my case, you get anywhere near some of the bad, noisy wiring in my apartment building.

12. artdecade

So where are you using it to avoid this phase issue?

13. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

This thread is giving me a bad GAS.. I sometimes experience that nasty hum in my house.

14. TimWaldvogel

TimWaldvogel TDPRI Member

Its the worst hum debugger out there. Only good for breaking ground loops
    I use the boss using the 4 cable method

"It's not about me, but rather everybody but me"

15. eugenedunn

eugenedunn Friend of Leo's

EHX Hum Debugger Works!

I must disagree. It works beautifully for me, with none of the metallic artifacts people talk about. I put it at the very first input in my signal path, right after the guitar. See my signature for the signal path. Works with all my guitars that have single coil pickup options..... Strat pickups, Tele pickups, P90's, even a Lollar Charlie Christian fat single coil.

It's the ONLY thing I've found that cures the annoying 60-cycle hum in single coil guitar pickups. It even quells that buzzy hum when dimmers are on in my old house with crappy AC. I use it in conjunction with an ISP Decimator at the end of my signal path for really effective noise suppression.
    [​IMG]

16. TimWaldvogel

TimWaldvogel TDPRI Member

Well in my opinion, it was the only thing I've used that didn't full get rid of Hum. It made it quieter, but didn't eliminate it.

I prefer use the NS2 the proper way, as it was designed to be used. I send my guitar after my buffer to the input, send/return to/from all my gain staging pedals, and it never cuts my signal like a gate, even with the volume knob on my guitar rolled back to the '2' of '10' range.

It makes gain channels of my amp quiet too, because there is no noise for the dirty channel to amplify.

Personally the ebtech hum eliminator for ground loops, cut more noise from my overall signal than the hum eliminator.

To each his own I must say. But it simply jus is not worth the money to me. Because several pedals ( like the mxr noise clamp) can be acquired in a similar price range new/used, and accomplish much more on their own, than a humdebugger.

"It's not about me, but rather everybody but me"

17. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

I usually put it after dirt pedals, but lately I've been putting it right at the end of my chain.

In my effects path it seemed like the joyful noises from dirt pedals accentuated the "phasing" if the Debugger was placed before them.

18. artdecade

I saw that the directions mentioned placing it first for best results, but it appears like may users (like Higham above) use it right before the amp. I guess one needs to experiment with it because results seem to vary.

19. BillNeaves

BillNeaves Tele-Meister

Hum debugger works great for me too. I put it right after the guitar, before my effects. No complaints at all.

20. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

When you isolate it from all other effects, do you get the delay-phase sound? If not, what amp are you using?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.