1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix Ripped Speaker fuzz

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by BadTranslate, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

No. This is different.

2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

A delay is a delay, a fuzz is a fuzz. That Superego Plus is a guitar synth with a multi effect crammed in it. It's nothing new.

I dunno, I was just hoping there was something new, effects are so boring now.

Well, I'm just like ants at a picnic at this point so I'll find my own way to the door.

3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Uh...they're not the same old effects. They're dsp based which goes far beyond any 60s technology can but I get it. You want to parrot that line you hear all over the forum.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    emisilly likes this.
  4. Junco Partner

Junco Partner Tele-Meister

It’s a shame this thread got so sidetracked; anyhow, I’m pretty stoked for this based on the demo. I haven’t had much luck with EHX fuzzes in the past (never been a Big Muff guy and I moved on the Satisfaction and Octavix pretty quickly) but this one seems right up my alley. I already own the EQD Dirt Transmitter and the MXR Variac, but they both lean toward warmer, softer sounds while this demo gives the impression of more attack, cut, and grit to it. It’s just a YouTube video, yeah, but I’m dying to try it.

emisilly and Whateverdude like this.
  5. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

While you all went pear shaped I went and ordered one because it makes cool sounds and is $99.

edvard, emisilly, craigs63 and 3 others like this.
  6. Allan Allan

I should have gone about it better. Really the idea of a torn speaker fuzz made me think of how mind blowing that must have been in the 60's when a speaker actually tore. Then there was wah wah, phasers, delay, tremolo a few more. Then basically nothing, just new ways to get the same effects.

But of course instead of saying that I thought I'd get real snarky.

7. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Afflicted

What I am hoping to experiment towards with this pedal is their described overloaded studio board sound or whatever EHX called it.

One often present internet answer is that you cant sound like Clapton's Fuzz in Cream because it wasn't a pedal or amp thing but the console being overloaded. My response has always been to ask why there isn't a pedal that mimics that sound? I'm sure that have been others that can cop it but this one is cheap and I have a soft spot for EHX.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    david_dave_davey likes this.
  8. davemontalvo

davemontalvo TDPRI Member

Here ya go!

https://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/mikustomp/

emisilly likes this.
  9. Allan Allan

10. edvard

edvard Tele-Afflicted

I just heard about this yesterday. Some of the sounds are alright, but I'm not one for the gated fuzz sound. If I were a famous pedal company trying to put out something called "Ripped Speaker" (which I most assuredly am not), I would put on a knob that would blend the clean signal in, because then according to my (admittedly lacking) logic, it would be more like what the original ripped speaker was; a ripped speaker on a cranked clean amp. Now, if you can nail the tone on the Kinks' "You Really Got Me" with this pedal, then I'll withhold judgement, but until then it just sounds like many other fuzzes before it.

Not that that's a bad thing... :twisted:

11. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This.

Except I went one better and bought it at my local brick & mortar music store. When my busted wrist heals and I can play again, I think the pedal will some nasty sounds.

DLReed and emisilly like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.