1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix Pitch Fork & the Digitech Drop.....they work

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by studio1087, Oct 9, 2020.

1. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Our band plays several songs that were originally recorded tuned down a half step. I bought the Pitch Fork and our other guitar player and our bass player bought the drop.

I bought the Pitch Fork because I like the separate dry/effect knob and pitch interval knob. There’s a simple switch for pitch up or down or both. There is a button that activates a mode where you get the effect pitch only when holding the pedal switch down. You could probably write a phrase where you step on the pedal at the end and go down two octaves and shake the walls.

The direct song that we tried was Blood and Roses by the Smithereens and it sounded great. The pedals track well and the latency is nearly undetectable.

upload_2020-10-9_20-18-43.jpeg [​IMG]
    When you see a lower case letter on the pitch it means minor.....like minor second (a half step). Upper case M means major......like major second (a full step). The 1-2-3 are octaves. I love this thing. No more bringing an extra guitar that tunes down.

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I've never bit the bullet on the pitch fork. Maybe I'll find a deal I can't refuse.

I am an EHX fan, and it is more practical than other things I've bought. Someday.....

3. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

So with the 1,2,3 knob settings and the up-Dual-down switch on Dual, you could get, say, your straight note and an also octave (or two or three) above and below it, all at once?

4. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

I found the drop worked well for 1 or 2 steps, after that it started sounding pretty wierd.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

I love the Pitchfork for fifths and lower octave. Tracks so well that octave unison riffs with the bass sounds awesome and so full and powerful! The fifths are cool if you write the chords with no 6ths or 7ths! Some chords are absolute train wrecks.
    Sometimes I put it on with a swell echo during sax or piano solos. It’s like strings. Very full sounding.
    Here’s an example of the fifths thing through the Pitchfork.

love the pitchfork!!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    ping-ping-clicka and elihu like this.
  6. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

Do you ever use an exp pedal with it?

4pickupguy likes this.
  7. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Yes you can blend the tones with knob on the left.

Old Plank and 4pickupguy like this.
  8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Not really, because it turns into a Whammy when you do that. I just don’t know how to use thato_O The latch function is cool because you can set it to Maj/min 3rd and it’s instant harmonised lines! Takes a couple of runs through to memorize when to hit the switch...
    Simple octaves are so powerful. Lower octaves are so great when they track so perfectly.They make rock riff with the bass sound killer. Higher octaves are like chimes and bells.. add modulated delay and it’s orchestral. Pitch devices are very good secret weapons.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    studio1087 likes this.
  9. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

This is embarrassing to admit, but I completely forgot that I owned a PitchFork. Many thanks to the OP for reminding me. I finally located it hidden away at the back of one of my shelves.

I like playing open chords so I've got into the habit of using a capo a lot. As well, for songs where I would need to drop down a semitone, a lot of times I just couldn't be bothered retuning my guitar and I would move on to something else.

I plugged in my PitchFork this morning and now I remember what a great pedal it is. Flick a switch, turn the dial and boom! - your guitar is in a different pitch. For situations where I'm for example putting a capo on the first fret the PitchFork works much better because the guitar sounds exactly in tune whereas I would find that a capo would put the guitar slightly out of tune. I have a tendency to be, uh, very enthusiastic when I play and can have a heavy picking hand but with the PitchFork I can really go for it and still have it sound good.

I've never tried it with an expression pedal but I will. I'm also going to experiment more with some of the other pitch selections but this pedal is definitely not going back on the shelf.

jddub440, 4pickupguy and studio1087 like this.
  10. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Would one of these work with a strummed acoustic guitar? I do some gigs with an acoustic trio and there are two songs out of almost 40 that the singers can handle much better when tuned a 1/2 step down. We end up making set lists around those two songs (Song 1 > several songs w/capo 2 - 5 > Song 2) and then I retune before and after. It works, but it would be nicer to just put those two songs in where they best fit the set. These are both hard strummed folk rock things.

Thanks!

11. ZenGuitarist

The issue I see with an acoustic is that you're going to get standard pitch projecting from the guitar no matter what setting the PitchFork is on. I could experiment with one of my acoustics that has a pickup, but I think it would turn out to be a weird experience.

jddub440 likes this.
  12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Oooh. Good point. I didn't think about that. Probably 19 out of 20 gigs people are close enough to hear the acoustic directly, not just through the PA (there's one corporate gig we are hoping to repeat this December where that wouldn't be an issue). And depending on what monitoring we're using it could also mess with the singers' pitch. I usually set up to the left specifically so my guitar is pointed towards them if needed.

13. jddub440

jddub440 Tele-Holic

I also think of my pitchfork as a digital capo and drop tune device. I used to play a couple different tunings but really prefered just keeping my guitar in standard tuning. Then EHX announced the PitchFork and I bought it and relearned all those songs back in standard tuning which also helped me learn the fretboard a little better too!

I'm really excited that the PitchFork+ has finally been released, the day that my original Pitchfork dies the + version is gonna be on my board by the end of that week!!!

ZenGuitarist likes this.
  14. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

That's what I probably would use it for.
    I have been using a Ricochet, in latch mode for short interval changes, but I fear the switch will go out eventually. Never wanted the full Whammy. And I like the choices on the Pitchfork. I need to finish other projects I have started before buying more toys though!

I have an Ibanez HD1500 that I bought new - so I am familiar with the fun things to do with pitch shifters. But I lean toward weird noises over 12 string, dropped tuning, or more standard uses.

15. ZenGuitarist

I didn't know there was a PitchFork+ but it's on my radar now. I don't need one but just like you, if my PitchFork dies it will be replaced by a PitchFork+.

16. highwayjones

highwayjones TDPRI Member

I have the Drop and the only thing I don't like about it is that it seems to soften the attack and high end bite when under a bit of gain. This is apparent even at a 1/2 step lower. Maybe the Pitchfork does this too...I don't know? It's likely less perceivable in a band mix.

17. ZenGuitarist

I just did a quick A/B test and yeah, when the PitchFork is engaged there's a little bit missing from the high end and the attack is a bit softer too.

I guess it comes down to making a tradeoff. In a live situation I would use the PitchFork because the audience probably won't notice the difference but for recording I would likely use a capo. When practicing I might go back and forth depending on whether tone or convenience is more important to me at the time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.