1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard a few of the online demos now, and think this thing is both wonderful and horrific. It seems to track really well, even the pedal steel and string bends didn't seem to trip it up. But the pre-set sounds are atrocious, I think Casio had better organ sounds in the late 1980s.

The MkII version needs drawbars.

2. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

Ok now the gig report...

Yep, this pedal is a winner!!! I snuck it in past my drummer and bassist last night, and called off Back At The Chicken Shack for the opening tune... 1,2,3 ORGAN!!! Totally caught the guys off guard AND the audience, and every one dug it immensely! Tracked the same as it did at home, though the high notes tracked better on the gig. Probably used it more than I should have on the first set, but boy was it fun! One thing stood out though-when I switched to guitar afterwards, it was amazing how sparse the sound got-gotta work that part out...

Second set, and a buddy of ours sat in with us... He stuck to guitar while I played "organ"... Since my style of rhythm tends to use a lot of sliding partial chords and swapping inversions, I was able to get somewhat close to what a decent organ player would play, and it worked beautifully... Also played a number of solos where I phrased like an organist, and again, it came off really well!

My bassist came up to me afterwards and told me just how much he dug the B9, and this is from a guy who hates pedals!

Finally, how does it sound on the gig? No, it's not the real deal, obviously... But it's far closer than it has a right to be! I said it before and I'll say it again... This is the best pedal to come out in YEARS!!!

Franc Robert

Roots13 likes this.
  3. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Great report! Thanks for posting.

How it sounds in the basement or bedroom isn't nearly as important as how it works in the RW.

Can't wait till I get one.

4. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Got mine week before last. Tried it out at rehearsal and used sparingly, it really adds something. (Of course, at rehearsal, I wanted to slather it all over everything, just experimenting.) My experience is a lot like others. Adjust your technique. Play partial chords; triads seem to work well. Keep it simple. The sound is better than I expected.
    Used at a fireworks gig over the weekend and it sounded fantastic through my SF Deluxe Reverb. A bass player friend was at the gig and during our break, he asked me, Who's playing the B3?
    Very cool pedal for adding some different textures and parts.

5. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

Great, now I have anpother pedal to buy!

Oh well, lifes short. It looks like a very fun pedal. Might pick one up today.

6. Ash Telecaster

I take that back, nobody has them in stock.

7. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Has anyone run it through a real Leslie yet?

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

To me this is the key to using it successfully. Guitarists aren't used to playing simple triads but when you think about what a keyboard player is doing on organ rides with is right hand it's almost all based on three note chords and/or arpeggios or rolls based on those triads. Less is more.

9. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Have you played around with TC's toneprints and editor? It sounds like this would be a good application for it.

10. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

I was afraid I had to go get one. Glad to know I can't. I do want one though.

11. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

No I haven't, BDLH... never had one of their pedals. In any case, a good editor can really make this (deluxe) pedal shine!

Franc Robert

12. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

My keyboardless band has been wanting to cover Walk of Life for a while. That might be my excuse for buying this thing.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I'm going to wait until the first wave of purchases generate the first wave of used pedals for sale. Even if it's an awesome pedal, it won't be everyone's cup of tea.

14. Ash Telecaster

I was really stubborn about not getting a Roland rig but that was easy as they require the hex pickup and more wiring and another thing to haul around.

I instead bought a Korg tr61 thinking I would get some keyboard chops down. I can follow a chord progression and play it in perfect time but it doesn't come off right as I'm not good enough to embellish or play various voicings/positions which any half way decent keyboardist would. therefore it just doesn't sound right most the time.

This thing is just another pedal on the board and would allow me to add some embellishment on recordings to humanize the keyboard. I'm thinking it would be a good thing to have. Plus being able to add some keys to certain songs in live performance.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  15. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have a real Leslie but I have got the next best thing - Neo Instruments Mini Vent.

My B9 just arrived in the mail this morning and I can't wait to get it home and connect it all up and see what it sounds like in the flesh.

I'm hoping that, as the power adaptor that came with it has the US lugs I can use a standard Boss adaptor with this pedal or else I'll have to get a travel adaptor for this one.

It's only just after 9 in the morning at the moment and I'm itching to get to 4.30 when I can get off home............

16. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

LOL Well you just know that's gonna happen. The Soul Food was on back order most of the spring and now you see a few used ones for sale popping up. This one seems like a great tool to have but I'd like it more for $150 or less than I do at $220.

17. Del Pickup

Finally got home last night and fired this up. Fortunately it works fine with a standard Boss wall wart.

It sounds as good in real life as it does in the vids. And with the Mini Vent in the chain after the B9 you really can get that Hammond 'snarl and growl' that I love.

It does seem to work better with tones generated on the A, D & G strings for some reason and although others have said that it tracks all the notes well, I found that it wasn't quite so good if you go above the 12th fret on the B & E strings. But hey, I only had about an hour to play with this so I definitely need to spend more time with it to work out how to use it to best advantage.

I would say that the modulation control on this is nowhere near as good as using my Mini Vent and I don't like the click control being set too high as hearing that 'noise' just bugs me. I also am not too keen so far on the 'bell organ' tone which I couldn't get to sound like an electric piano in any way. It sounded more like a kid's zylophone to my ears! But I'll persevere with that as well..........

Overall, I think this could be a very useful gadget to have when I'm recording at home. Not sure I'd want to gig with it just yet - but that's just me not having spent enough time with it so far.

18. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

"Finally got home last night and fired this up. Fortunately it works fine with a standard Boss wall wart."

I'm using a One Spot to power mine.

"It does seem to work better with tones generated on the A, D & G strings for some reason and although others have said that it tracks all the notes well, I found that it wasn't quite so good if you go above the 12th fret on the B & E strings."

Agreed. I have found that using a compressor in front of the B9 really improves its performance in the higher registers.

"I don't like the click control being set too high as hearing that 'noise' just bugs me."

Agreed. A little click goes a long way.

"Not sure I'd want to gig with it just yet."

I believe you'll find a compressor and a volume pedal will make it much more gig friendly.

19. Del Pickup

Once I've got time I'll be putting this on my main pedal board - I'm guessing that it should probably go with the other modulation effects I have - delay and tremolo. I've got a Barber Tone Press on there so I'll try using that as you suggest. I really don't want to add another pedal to the board - I've got more pedals than I will ever use or need - so I'll try to live without the volume pedal for now - although I can see how that might be used and useful.

20. DocJay

DocJay Tele-Meister

Thanks for the info on that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.