1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. El Cavano

El Cavano Tele-Meister

Excellent point. I'm thinking of it as a real niche pedal. It would definitely be a fun first couple of weeks. After that, seems like I would use it very sparingly.

2. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

My thoughts, too! :D

3. filmix2

filmix2 Tele-Holic

And then you can sell it to me...
    Sort of the TDPRI pedal genie.

4. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Great user reviews!

I'm waiting for mine to arrive from PGS and am looking forward to getting to grips with it. I play in a more jazzy blues band which has 2 guitars, bass and drums and the last gig we did I used my new Mini Vent to give the rotary Leslie tones on several songs and everyone said it sounded really organ-like and gave the songs a different texture so I'm looking forward to adding this pedal to the Mini Vent and maybe getting an even more Hammond-like tone.

From the vids on YouTube I'm thinking the first 4 settings will be where I tend to use this one as well. And I would tend to agree that it'll be 3 or 4 string arpeggios with maybe a droning root note that would sound good with this.

I'm also hoping that I might be able to use it to good effect when I'm doing some recording for my next album as it might save having to bring in a keyboard player if I can make organ noises sound convincing!

5. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

The guy playing piano with us Monday night headlines at Small's NYC Jazz Club, so I was cautious in applying the B9, but he dug it. I'm pretty sure the keyboard player in the soul band will be only too happy to rock out on piano with organ back up here and there.

Furthermore, there are certainly a slew of groups out there with bass, drums, and two guitars for instrumention, and this will be absolutely perfect to add some variety in that setting.

Frankly, I see myself using this more, not less, as time goes on and I learn more about the best way to use it.

6. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

Got mine today. Its pretty cool. :cool: I found that it responds pretty much like a lot of the previous posts said it would. That being said, I was able to adjust my playing style fairly easy to get some nice sounds. Picking technique seems to be the key to making it work IMO.

The first settings give you that percolating/clicky Green Eyed Lady sound. To make the click sound consistently you need to adjust your picking style, especially on the low E string. I liken it to using the pads on a Drum Machine. Pressure and consistancy are needed.

The second settings are the full blown B3 settings. These are a blast to play with. ;) I found myself in Jon Lord mode playing Lazy. Its just too much fun. But I know I have to go back and work on getting the most out of this pedal . LOL

All in all, I am really digging this pedal. I cant wait to get home and play it thru some different amps. I only had time to try it thru my Vox Lil Night Train with an MIM strat. I am wondering what a P90 will sound like thru this pedal.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Some good reports so far. Maybe even better than I expected. I suspect for some this pedal won't work unless they adapt their technique but it's one of those effects that can be very useful in some bands especially those lacking keys.

Those who've taken the time to point out in what way it's technique sensitive are appreciated. I don't believe I'll have much trouble adapting my style to it but I can see where some might. Thinking like an organist has got to help to. Most of the time less is more.

8. Sideways Jaye

Yes, that's it! I put my xotic SP in front of it last night and it took care of most of the "thinning out" I referenced earlier. In addition, it smoothed the attack. Following with a volume pedal is also a winner.

9. Sideways Jaye

Exactly right. Some players will see this as the pedals limitation, but it's inspiring me to pick up the guitar more and to try a whole new range of playing technique.

10. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Well, our lead singer/keyboardist just sent out an email saying he wants to get out from behind the keyboard and be more of a front man. He also said I'd need to step up my guitar playing to fill the sonic space where his keyboards used to be (we're a two guitar band). Sooo.. I think I have a pretty good reason to buy one of these pedals now :-D

I just wish I could afford one. For now, I'm gonna have to play around with some of the modulation pedals I have. Maybe this will get me thinking more like a keyboardist though. Less is more, you say?

11. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah... well you send him an email that your manager (I, Artdecade) wants him back behind that keyboard. His job is to play nothing but synth pads while the two guitar players shred away. Pfffft.. wants to be a frontman... NOT ON MY WATCH!

PS - You are now a rock instrumental band. :lol:

Roots13 likes this.
  12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

For the time being Behringer sells an inexpensive rotary pedal that will get you a Leslie sound. I'm using one now and it's surprisingly good despite it's limitations. I intend to replace it with this B9 though.

13. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

I use a small stone and a cheap danelectro chorus with a tele or strat with overwound pickups, with a slight distortion up front and the tone knob dialed down. Try something like this.

14. Starshine

Starshine Tele-Afflicted

Can the HOG or POG do everything this pedal does? I know you wouldn't get the presets, but it seems like I've heard a lot of these tones out of those pedals.

15. androo

androo Tele-Holic

I very much want one! I don't care if it gets old after a week or two...that's two weeks of AWESOME!

;)

I love the idea of getting a good loop of this going in my Boomerang, then soloing over in straight ahead guitar.

16. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

A hog or a pog is IMHO more tweakable into even tones that don't necessarily sound like an organ at all, which is a good option to have. Anyways, I just want a vox guitar organ....

17. Sideways Jaye

To each their own, but, for me the attraction of the B9 is that you sound exactly like a big honkin' organ and not like a faux leslie approximation. Either embrace that you are playing organ when you play through this or do something else.

18. androo

androo Tele-Holic

Hey Jaye...any way you might be able to throw up some clips? I am so not a pedal guy, but this one has really caught my ear....could be the one that will help me get my Jimmy Smith/Kenny Burrell on!!!!

19. androo

androo Tele-Holic

By the way...anyone who is interested, there is a 5% discount coupon going on at Alto Music, who carries this B9.

It doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere till 7/17, but I just ordered one anyway cuz that coupon is good thru Monday, and 5% off is OK by me!

I bit!
    :D

20. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

looks like fun. ill wait for a used one to pop up. i do not really bend notes much. so i do not have to worrie about adapting playing style.. well i should be honest, im a noob. noodling fits my playing better for now. but each minute behind the guitar im getting better, yay :) i imagine id play the wedding tune on it, or Halloween theme song. thats fun to play on the guitar as it is. seems like a cool pedal even if its niche. kind of expensive tho it seems. but, being disable everything is expensive. hah. ill check used in a couple of months after the excitement of something different has worn off on the guys who have to try every pedal. :)
    chris.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.