1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I don't bend many notes so that's not an issue for me, In fact it may be good for your technique to have a pedal that forces you to have a clean left hand technique.

2. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Exactly! Like I said earlier in the thread, a pedal like this can force you to change your playing style, which can be a good thing. It can break you out of your comfort zone, and force you to expand your abilities.

Roots13 likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

If this pedal forces me to use classical technique on the fretting hand (including keeping my thumb in the the middle of the back of the neck) I'd get it for just that!

4. Otis Funkmeyer

Otis Funkmeyer Tele-Holic

Why do you want to kill rock 'n roll?

5. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

It's not killing rock 'n roll - if anything, making your guitar sound like a B9 is expanding rock 'n roll, not killing it. And like I said, you're still free to bend away if you want, which might sound really cool. Bent notes won't sound like a B9, but it may create some new and unique sounds.

Roots13 likes this.
  6. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Really, really want this pedal!

Roots13 likes this.
  7. Otis Funkmeyer

I was just talking about the anti-bending sentiment. That's what I wanted to say to my jazz improv teacher when he told me not to bend.
    Was just kidding around.

8. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Gotcha.

No bending whatsoever sounds like no fun. Is jazz really that rigid? I mean, come on!

9. BigDaddyLH

That teacher didn't know what he was talking about. Old school jazz guitarists -- Barney Kessel, Charlie Christian or Django -- bent notes all the time. Even Jim Hall, who was a sensitive compositional-style improvisor, liked to bend notes.

10. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I took jazz lessons for several months and the teacher kept on dinging me for bending strings. When I started doing it deliberately, I decided jazz wasn't for me.

11. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

I just heard the demo: HOLY ****!!!!

GAS rising!!!

12. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

I tried out for a jazz class a couple of times back when I was a kid. It was at some school in New Haven. I couldn't read music. They made me feel like a piece of trash. Never felt like even trying to learn jazz after that.

13. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Does anyone know a release date?

14. Otis Funkmeyer

To be fair to my teacher, he really just said "Can you play a whole solo without bending?" And he still gave me A's.

15. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

As previously noted, they should ship late this week or soon after.

I have pre-ordered from Sweetwater. I can think of multiple ways I'll use this pedal. Of course, I'll give it a thorough run as soon as I get it and return it if it's not as depicted in the video, but I can play those styles, so I don't see why it won't work for me.

I love greasy, organ-driven soul jazz and Booker T type stuff, and this should blend with piano and horns just fine.

On a related note, I never got the fuss about Melvin Sparks - I've never heard him play anything that Grant Green or Kenny Burrell would not have played better. Case in point is Charles Earland's classic recording of "More Today Than Yesterday." It's a great performance of a great tune marred by Melvin's "hey, look at me!" overly-flashy, trying-to-hard, not-in-the-pocket, solo.

16. Otis Funkmeyer

I mostly listen to his funky stuff. He first got my attention on Rueben Wilson's "Blue Mode" LP, and won me over with his insanely funky solo on his own track, "Texas Twister" (you want pocket, check it out). The "Alkilah" LP is great too, and his work with Lou Donaldson. I like his phrasing and climaxes, and his sloppiness is part of his appeal for me.

He put on an exciting live show and I was very lucky to meet him before he passed, real nice guy.

I love Grant Green and also Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones in that style. GG's Live At The Lighthouse LP is incredible for the music but his solos pretty much just keep repeating the same licks.

17. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I wonder about string noise artifact. That guy's technique was excellent. It didn't look like he was using flat wounds but who knows.

18. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

I like the fact that you have the guitar over organ feature. Honestly I like it a lot. I look forward to the day I can sit down and play around with one. I've bought too many trick pedals just to find out I only like them for a week or so. I've held off on a Vent for the same reason and I'm almost certain I would use that one.

All this talk about string bending is something that must be answered, for I am a string bending fool. I just can't help myself. Some people dive bomb, I bend there is no cure.

Still I GAS :twisted::eek::D

19. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

One of the best ways to improve your playing is to make yourself do something different and/or avoid a particular crutch. When I had been playing about 4-5 years, I was wearing out this one particular hammer-on/pull-off lick. The keyboard player in our band pointed it out to me and I realized I was totally incapable of playing a solo without it. That lead to some lessons and improved technique. I'm not planning on using this pedal all the time, and, when I do use it, I'll pretty much avoid bending - it won't be a problem. I think sliding slurs will translate just fine, as well as straight legato/staccato playing.

Roots13 likes this.
  20. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I like the demo... I also think I'd like it if I did songs with organ in it. The organ-in-a-box I bought went straight back from whence it came...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.