1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe in comparison to a real Hammond, it may not be perfect but, for most of us who are guitar players rather than keyboard players - and not all that many keyboard players have a real Hammond either in my experience - it's a pretty close approximation of the Hammond sound.

Yes, from my experience with the pedal since I got it, I don't care for the click knob being set anywhere other than 'off', the modulation effect seems to have only a small amount of Leslie 'rotary-ness' to it but I've got a Mini Vent for that - and yes that does make a huge difference to the overall sound.

It does tend to sound better with a compressor after the B9 and I've swapped the position of my Barber Tone Press on my board to accommodate that.

Let's be honest, the B9 is very well priced for such a pedal - it's just under half the price I paid for the Mini Vent - so EH have done a pretty good job to get as much as they have into a relatively small box at a competitive price.

I'm sure it could be improved but that would come at a cost and would more than likely increase the size of the pedal as well.

Roots13 likes this.
  2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

There are pedals in the $400-$450 range that do much of what you're suggesting but for the average non-gigging musician that price point may also be a deal breaker. The B9 already has a street price of $229 so can EHX build a V2.0 of the B9 that includes a Leslie Sim as good as a Neo Vent and add more tweaks and hit that $300-$350 price point?

I don't think EHX was shooting for the pro market place with this pedal. I think their target market is mostly part timers, weekend jammers and the play at home only guys. This gives them a new flavor of effect to add and it's tweakability for live performing wasn't at the top of the list when they designed it. If that was it's primary purpose most all of it would need to be foot controlled not just the off/on switch.

I don't think you're raining on anyone's parade. Honest review like yours are always helpful and may keep someone from being disappointed. IMHO to play it competently the B9 requires a much different technique than some players are capable of using plus an understanding of how keyboard parts are arranged and played. This isn't one of those pedals you step on and it virtually plays itself so it isn't for everyone.

I'm fairly certain that for some it won't be something they'd use long term and after the initial thrill of it all has faded a bit like many other effects pedals a fair number of used ones will be for sale on Ebay and elsewhere.

Roots13 likes this.
  3. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

yeah, i find the best use for this pedal is to fill in the hole by layering the guitar and organ together. by using a leslie simulator, and simply kicking the fast/slow button in certain spots of the song, gives you that organ feel and fills the song out quite well. by using a separate volume pedal, you can bring the b9 in and out, which also gives you a more authentic organ placement in the song.

most guitar players bend strings and use their fingers for tremolo/vibrato. this pedal follows your playing closely and accurately, which sometimes is a bad thing. you have to play straight , clean, and precisely to give you that organ style.

voicing notes like your playing a keyboard is another thing. luckily by me being a keyboardist also, i can transfer the technique over to the guitar, but its not easy. its easier for me to just play my keyboard and my b3 organ module.

i just thought this pedal would fit in when i want to jam with my friends in a 3-4 piece band setup. i didn't know i had to bring all these extra pedals to get the most out of this pedal. after hearing how a b3 fits in a mix, its hard to play just the b9 and be happy with it by itself.

I've seen only a few videos using the pedal in a band mix. it seems to be suited more for the player that jams or records at home.

there are no demo's of the pedal with a leslie sim pedal. only one i seen was a guy playing a pedal steel guitar and a leslie pedal, but he left the pedal on fast leslie thru the whole demo. if he would've kicked the speed button a few times, it would've really made the demo sound better.

sorry, but i'm going to unload my b9 before there are so many for sale, that you will only get $100 for it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. soulman969

Yep and here I am waiting for the day when there will be enough of them for sale that $100 will take it. That may be a long wait though. My guess is within the year they'll settle in the $150 range barely used.

I have a good friend and soul brother with one and I intend to borrow his for a few days just to get the hang of it stand alone and how it works through my rotary pedal and with a light compression. I'd be seriously looking at it's viability to gig with.

5. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

since there are no demo's of the B9 with a Leslie, I'm in the process of making a half-ass demo using the B9 and a Neo Mini Vent Leslie pedal together on a few song clips. the sound quality wont be the best since I live in a tiled house and cant plug direct into the mixer, but you'll get the idea. I'll post as soon as its uploaded

Roots13 likes this.
  6. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

here is the demo of a leslie simulator connected to the B9

Roots13 likes this.
  7. guitarmann13

guitarmann13 TDPRI Member

Roots13 likes this.
  8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

quick question. on a keyboard the white keys are C major scale correct? black keys are accidentals? sharps, etc?

chris.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Leftyjay, that was really good and proves what I've been saying about the combination of B9 and Mini Vent for weeks! It really is pretty authentic sounding - to my ears anyway.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

What the?!

Roots13 likes this.
  11. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]

Accidental? Hell no, I played those notes on purpose.

12. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

the only thing is the extra cost of the leslie and volume pedals. that is an extra $200-500. not very many people are going to buy a leslie pedal unless they play keyboards seriously. if EHX could add a leslie into the pedal and keep the cost down, you would see this pedal on stage in every 3-4 piece guitar band.

but right now, the B9 is not stage friendly.

13. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

I guess playing a Vox Continental was an accident since the keys are reversed

[​IMG]

Roots13 likes this.
  14. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe there was a sale on black plastic! Hahahaha.

15. Brian J.

Brian J. Tele-Afflicted

now i can live out my strange fanasy of being both jon lord, and ritchie blackmoore at the same time

16. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

thanks for the laugh guys. i so was not expecting them pictures. note to self, large keys, small keys.. instead of colors.

chris.

p.s
    i have this weird desire to learn the wedding song. :d

17. soulman969

That was a great demo especially nailing Light My Fire. Amazing accuracy on the tracking and you obviously understand the correct technique for it. Helps to play keys to I imagine.

I would tend to agree with you but even having just one or two settings a guy can use for certain tunes just to lay those organ chords in interlaced with the guitar would add some flavor in a guitar band.

Despite it's awkwardness I know I could get some mileage out of for certain stuff I do.

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i have a digitech eric clapton pedal with a leslie option. however, if you go look at the pedal board thread. you would be suprised how many people have a leslie pedal already. but yeah you are right it would better to have it in the pedal. i hope this cheap pedal i bought with eric claptons name on it works, it has a leslie function i think i pad 5.00 for it so what the hell if it does not. also, i see they have a leslie kit for around 220. it uses a 10" speaker iv been considering one way before this pedal came out. i think i will go that rout instead of buying a lesli pedal. its small, perfect for my home use. iv been looking at keyboard tutorials. its gonna be fun to learn to use this pedal. now i just have to wait for the damn thing to get here. i hope by friday. :)
    chris.
    chris.

Roots13 likes this.
  19. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

you listen to sweetwaters demo, with out a leslie pedal. it adds a great thickness to the guitar. i think it would sound great in a band. but i guess, you are thinking the same way too. :)

chris.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Durn. I have none of these pedals: B9 + Volume + Leslie. Too expensive for my blood to get all three. Still, people say me and Joey DeFrancesco were separated at birth!

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.