1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

So cool.
    "House of the Rising Sun" with an organ solo. I like it.

2. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

well i have the funds to buy one set aside as long as no expensive come up by next week. the only pedal i have that has a lesle simulator is a eric clapton signature pedal i picked up new for 10.00.
    guess it was made in the 90s. we will see how it works next month i guess.
    chris.

3. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

On the Cathedral setting, the built-in tremolo is quite usable for 'leslie' type sounds. Not perfect for organ-only, but sitting back just a bit in the mix, the built-in effects are all you need.

I built the runoffgroove tri-vibe. It's a fantastic vibe pedal, but I need it on the guitar.

CHAD

4. Jebrone Lames

Jebrone Lames Banned

That effect pedal is only sold at indoor malls located near Sears and the pay per use massage chairs.

5. ddewerd

ddewerd Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mine just came in the mail today !!!!

I can't wait to play around with it tonight

Cheers,
    Doug

6. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

Question: When we say this pedal likes to be first or a germanium fuzz likes to be first in the chain are we saying strictly use no other pedal before either of them or are we saying do not use any other pedal first in conjunction with one of these pedals on? I have a WREN and Cuff 60s Your Face Fuzz and I have the B9. If both want to be first, how can I use both in the chain or can I use them as long as both are not on at the same time......u know for optimum tone?

7. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

well i can take a guess. and you would leave the fuz off. i just can not imagine the fuz sounding good through the B9. i could be wrong.
    i guess ill find out next month. i have a fuz in the mail. and next week if all goes well ill order the B9 ( thankfully everyone seems to have them in stock now) cant wait to play around with this pedal for some reason. people are not bored of it yet it would seem.. as no used ones popping up yet..

8. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't found a problem with the B9 needing to be first in the effects chain. On my board it's around the middle of the chain - TU-3 - Tone Press - Les Lius O/D - Vibratrem - B9 - Mini Vent - Boss DD2 - EH Holy Grail Reverb.

I don't have room for my Dunlop Fuzz Face on the board and haven't actually used it with this new pedalboard set up but, if I was going to use it at a gig along with this already large board, I'd have the FF in front of my Dunlop Cry Baby which would then go into the TU3.

When I first got the FF it sounded really odd when I put it after the Cry Baby and I worked out that it had to go before the Cry Baby if I was using both.

Now, after all that, please remind me that I have way too many pedals for my own good!!

9. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

As far as "Whose on first?"
    When in doubt use a loop switcher.

"It plays well with others" but the i/o levels need to be set with care.

10. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

You're gonna have to experiment. Some (not all) fuzzes like to be first in the chain because they sound very different when placed after a pedal with a buffer. The only way to tell is plug the durn thing in. Oh, the horror! It's such a chore unplugging all those 6 inch cables. I have a man for that, but you know, it's so hard finding good help these days.

11. phr014

phr014 TDPRI Member

Hi all,

Here is my first post

Being about to buy the B9, here is a informative video about B9 behaviour regarding decay , sustain, bends, SCvs HB pedals placements. subtitled in English

Cheers

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Great demo. Very helpful. Thank you!

13. Sherpa

Sherpa Tele-Holic

phr014, thanks for a very helpful demo - one of the best I've seen and heard so far from a practical viewpoint...

14. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

great video. seems if you play with the dry signal you can get some crazy ambient synth tones.

chris.

15. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Great vid phr014:cool: This really puts me in two minds! It's going to be a toss up between their Ravish sitar & B9 organ pedal. I just cant make my mind up at present AAAarggghhh.:D

16. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

yeah i think both pedals would be fun. but i think i would get more use out of the B9 up front. just because their is more key base music to get inspired by than sitar. but then their maybe tons of sitar stuff. dunno. plus you can find sitar box pop up for about 150 gently used often. not any B9s as of right now. way to new iguess.
    chris.

17. phr014

phr014 TDPRI Member

18. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

hi phr014. welcome to the forum. dont be shy, great forum with a bunch of great guys who love to help. great community. well im holding off till sunday to order the B9. incase some super duper sale pops up for the holiday. im gonna use the 15% of from MF. i figure since these are selling used for 200.00 when they pop up. its a good deal. i would order now but i know if i did MF will slap some crazy sale thing on me.. story of my life. iv been watching more videos on this pedal. and it sure sounds good just to thicken up the tone of a guitar adding a very interesting texture ( sweetwaters demo shows this quite well). not sure what the click wheel thing means, they talk on the videos like we all know our way around a keyboard. shrugs. anyhow, thanks for posting the video again. it iso ne of the most use full iv seen on the B9. i also have a fuzz pedal in the mail. gonna be a long week next week waiting for these two pedals to show up. LOL cant believe im gonna spend 200.00 on a pedal. this will be the most iv ever spent on a pedal. iv been collecting pedals not knowing what they are for stupid prices. 5.00 here 7.00 here. hell the fuzz pedal i have i a woolly mammoth fuz clone in mail i only paid 7.00 for. the clapton pedal ill use for the lesle effect cost me 5 i think. after clapton dies im sure that pedal will go for more. LOL. however, ill have to look i do not think i have a compressor pedal. ( i can use the tremlo on my fender excelsior for another effect to try ) i just would bid on dirt pedals etc.o well, i had no clue what i was buying at the time. now its time to get educated on pedals.. i hope everyone has a great weekend.
    chris.

19. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Dont have time to read the whole thread but someone please try this with a keyboard on the Vox Conti setting and youtube it. I would be so grateful.

20. leftyjay

leftyjay Tele-Meister

hopefully, I'm not going to rain on the parade. i thought this pedal would be really cool after seeing the demos. I'm a guitar/keyboard player and have gigged for the last 40 years. this pedal sounded too good to be true.

I thought I would like this pedal. I've had one for 3 weeks now. there are just a few things that don't do it for me.

1. an organ is not touch sensitive. on an organ, all notes play on full no matter how hard you play them. on this pedal, even playing just a couple strings together, you can hear one note louder then the next. sure, you can hook up a compressor, but that's just another thing to add on the pedalboard.

2. the lack of a leslie speed button really makes the pedal blah... I have a Neo Mini Vent leslie simulator and it really helped the B9 considerably. but that was at a cost of an extra $300+

3. there are a few decent presets. I liked the Jazz preset best. but, then again, every preset was a different overall volume. you would need a separate volume control to adjust this pedal on the fly. just another thing to add on your pedalboard beside the other volume pedal you use for your guitar.

4. the click is there on some presets even with the click knob turned down. when you turn it up, it is a tad harsh. you have to adjust the tone on the amp for each preset and if you use the click.

i know for some of you, i sound like I'm bashing this pedal. i am not tearing it down. i am merely picking out the weaknesses of the pedal. i can post a video of my setup with it and show it could be useful in a band setting. especially a bass/guitar/drums trio band. by adding a leslie simulator, you have improved this pedal 100x. its too bad ehx didn't think about that. I'm sure they wanted to get this pedal out on the market so we can try it out and find improvements for it so they can make a version ll that is much better. if they do add some improvements, the pedal would even be worth more.

so, bottom line... the pedal is usable. but, to make it better would require a leslie simulator, a sensitivity adjustment knob, a few more usable presets, and a possible drive/grit adjustment knob. in my setup, i have the B9, compressor, neo vent, volume pedal. that's about $700 worth of pedals to make this sound like it should. I'm sure there is an easier way. I'm sure they could make a pedal with all this already in the pedal for $300-350 and it would be worth it.

this is my pedalboard setup
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.