1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electro-Harmonix B9 Organ Machine! So cool...

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RiverDog, Jun 18, 2014.

1. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I can't wait to not be broke!

Roots13 likes this.
  2. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

Roots13 likes this.
  3. the embezzler

the embezzler Tele-Holic

I just got one and I'm having a lot of fun with it!

Here's me goofing off a bit with it....

4. idjster

idjster VERY grateful member Silver Supporter

My B9 came in today. I had to order it through my local guitar store. I'm absolutely in love with it! It really does what the demo shows - even for someone with, shall we say, "thinner" guitar skills than people who usually do the demos. It really is amazing! It'll remain a 'fun' pedal as I don't gig much anymore, but it really puts a new slant on some of the music I do. I'm having way, way too much fun with it! (Like everyone else who has one who has posted about it...) Most fun $240 I've spent in a long time. I don't regret it one bit.

Roots13 likes this.
  5. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

I received mine a couple of days ago. DRY output to pedal board/tube amp, and ORGAN output to compressor/reverb/delay/EQ Mixer channel is fantastic! For me this is the best way to use in a live setting.

> Different presets have varying volume input-output characteristics
    > Jazz, Octaves and Cathedral seem to have the best live-use sounds
    > The DRY output is guitar only, and zero of the pedal knobs affect this output
    > The ORGAN output can have guitar and/or organ (confused me at first)
    > Compressor after the pedal is almost necessary (thank you built-in digital console)
    > Compressor before the pedal is helpful if you use your guitar volume knob
    > As mentioned, the middle strings and the middle frets sound best, but everywhere works

I bought on ebay from a licensed dealer, and I seriously considered returning this pedal UNTIL I understood the two outputs. It seemed to me that once I plugged in a DRY output that the guitar only would go to that, controlled by the DRY knob - but nope. The DRY knob only controls guitar signal to the ORGAN output. So, the DRY output is unchanged with pedal on or off or knobs in any setting (like an always-on buffer, probably).

Fantastic pedal. There are probably a lot of honeymoon-will-be-over-soon sounds that I'll never hear again, but it's hard to describe a stereo setup with guitar overdrive and organ vibe. Wow, just wow.

CHAD

6. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Well I have mine on order, despite the sneaking feeling I may come to hate it after the honeymoon is over. Maybe not. :-]. But I play in a trio and also a 2-guitar band and in both I am always looking for different sounds. This is sure different.

7. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

Get a Leslie simulator pedal to put after the B9. It's amazing. You will not regret it.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

iv been reading a lot of feed back and it seems this pedal is not very touch sensitive. fro what im getting you have to really hammer the strings, and this is EHX comment on it, saying its the amps fault. anyone experience such.. or are these reviews being harsh, and just not using the tool as its intended.

chris.
    even with the negative feed back iv read id still like to play with one. however, maybe i should wait for version 2.

9. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know about that. I wind up using a lighter touch and it seems to work just fine. It's playing with a heavy attack, in my opinion, that doesn't work so well with this device. Hammering the strings can make a real mess of things. You want to play lighter and simpler and it works great. It seems to respond to dynamics very well, so well that you have to pay particular attention to it or things can get out of hand. At least that's been my experience.

10. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

I've pretty much abandoned my pick for finger picking, a style I presume works well with the B9 pedal.

A chorus or Lesllie too ... yes!

11. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

i have a light touch too, so was curious. thanks. like all new things. i think we just need to learn how to use the tools. but i did find it odd that the manufactures response to the critizem was blaming the amp, instead of working on the problems people are complain about. but in the day and age of internet, for all i know people griping about the problems do not even own one, or tried it in GC for a few minutes with gear not matched up to there playing style to start with.

chris.

Roots13 likes this.
  12. sir humphrey

sir humphrey Friend of Leo's

That is so cool - I need one now!

Wonder how it would sound if you ran the organ out through a harmoniser? Hmm.. Possibilities!

13. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I hope EH is working on a Rhodes pedal and/or piano pedal so I can finally retire my GR-33. I would think a 'Brass ensemble' pedal would be possible. Give me a sax pedal. It doesn't seem the whole MIDI thing is necessary any more when the tracking and voices are this good.
    Back to my original request, a Rhodes in stereo would be the coolest.

14. Del Pickup

I've found that a lighter touch works better - and preferably without a pick. It does seem to be a bit wayward if your touch isn't consistent and the lighter played notes don't sound as they're overwhelmed by the previously heavy handed notes - if you see what I mean.

Using my Mini Vent rotary simulator after this pedal gives a very effective Hammond-Leslie result.

With the dry output set around 3 o'clock and the organ output set about 8-9 o'clock allows me to play full rhythm guitar chords and have the organ tones sitting nicely underneath that adding to the overall 'rhythm' sound.

15. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Tele-Meister

I just bought the "for Organ" version of the Mini Vent because of the B9 and the sound is incredible. Not a bad sound on a straight guitar input either. :D

16. Del Pickup

Yup. The Mini Vent is definitely a great rotary pedal. Even before I got the B9 people commented on how 'organ-like' my guitar could sound - particularly on the fast setting.

Add that to the B9 tone and it really is almost like the real thing.

17. seedlings

seedlings TDPRI Member

First official rehearsal with the B9 last night. Blew the soundman's mind. He just stared with a puppy dog surprise look most of the night. "It really sounds like someone is playing an organ."

CHAD

18. p8t8r

p8t8r Tele-Meister

You guys make me buy one :p

19. Del Pickup

I've been a believer in this pedal since I heard the first video demo and bought one as soon as they became available through PGS. Since then I've been using it at home and trying to work on my technique to allow me to play guitar in a style more like how a keyboard player would do.

I finally felt confident enough to use the pedal to record an 'organ' part on a demo I've been working on last week and I have to say that this, together with the Mini Vent records so well that I swear that you'd be hard pressed to tell that there isn't a real Hammond on the demo.

I found that my technique still needs some work as there were some notes that recorded louder than others - I think it's down to getting as even a picking technique going as possible - but that was fairly easily overcome by applying some compression to the recorded track which also had the effect of thickening up the tone.

I'll post a link to the track once I'm happy with the overall sound and you guys can have a listen and see what you think.

In the meantime, I'm going to change the order of the pedals on my board to have the compressor immediately after the B9 and Mini Vent in order to try to smooth out the volume of the notes for when I'm using it on gigs.

20. bigbean

bigbean Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I got one and I'm loving it through the Neo Ventilator. If I'm playing the part correctly it is an organ.

It's a different instrument than a guitar or an organ.
    When it sounds most organish is when I'm playing things differently than I would play the guitar part. It's great to drop an open string as a pedal note and play above it.

So far it seems to track better with the bridge pickup.

I surprisingly like the continental sound. It's lighter and can find some space in a band mix easy.

I'm also hoping for a Rhodes, Whurly pedal. Get busy EHX!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.