1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electrics - what would you do?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Laren, Aug 13, 2020.

1. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Hi guys,

I've got a set of Vanson '59 Alnico V Chrome PAF style Humbuckers that I'm putting in here ...

IMG_20200811_171926.jpg

The Cabronita just has a volume and 3-way switch. Would you add a tone control? And you could of course have coil splits. This isn't about any style of music etc just a 'what would you do' out of interest and why. I haven't made my mind up yet.

crazydave911 and Zepfan like this.
  2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm into simple controls. I'd wire it up just like a standard Tele, with a three-way switch, a single volume, and a single tone.

I was on a kick for a few years to make all of my guitars as versatile as possible--humbucker split coils, phase, series/parallel, midrange cut, bass cut, etc...it's a long list. Turns out having a really versatile guitar obviates the need for multiple guitars, which goes against my nature :twisted:

Realistically, a Les Paul with splittable humbuckers will never sound like a Strat or a Tele. And since I already have Strats and Teles, why try to make a Les Paul into something it's not? If I need a specific single coil tone, I grab a Strat or Tele.

I also have a few PRS's that have coil splits (pull out the tone knob) but I never use that at all.

It all depends on the kind of player you are and the type of music you play. There's no right or wrong here; do what you like. And it's perfectly okay to experiment and see if a certain option is something you may find useful.

nicknklv, BB, crazydave911 and 2 others like this.
  3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

This is a nice project to come, @Laren ! I dig that "old wood" finish... :cool::cool::cool:

I was very tempted by the Vanson PAF AlNiCo V pickups, but finally went for a pair of ToneRiders AlNiCo 2 PAF - OK, I still have the Vanson in mind, though... ;)

If it was me, I would add the tone-control, and yes, a splitting switch. Here's what I did on my modded Epi LPSII LH, where the ToneRider PAF are installed :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln.

crazydave911 and fenderchamp like this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Would there be room for stacked pots?

Stacked volumes and a single tone control, or even stacked for both a la Danelectro.

I might be tempted to switch the bridge pickup as parallel/series/split. I'd go for a Gibson style 3-way switch, but that's just me.

Another side of me claims a standard Tele control layout would work too, and be less of a faff.

crazydave911 likes this.
  5. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

"Turns out having a really versatile guitar obviates the need for multiple guitars".

No more guitars? Oh dear. That might answer my question right there. :)

If I could actually play I'd have gone for the Toneriders Alnico II's. I do like their sound (from what I've heard on YT.

crazydave911 and WalthamMoosical like this.
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

Just remember, the more complex you make the circuit, the more the "openness" the airiness, and the articulation can be adversely impacted... not to the extent the guitar is useless, but to some degree.

Such qualities are conveyed in the highest levels of the frequency spectrum, that's the very region that is adversely effected by complex wiring.

Less is more...

r

BB and Piggy Stu like this.
  7. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I went with vol, tone and a 5 way rotary switch. The pickgaurd is a standard one that I cut down
    See avatar
    The 5 way allows for coil tapping or series /parallel and is still clean looking

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. More circuitry = more capacitance.

9. ctmullins

ctmullins Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

500 kOhm volume and pickup selector switch. I find traditional tone controls nearly useless. I modulate tone by pickup selection and technique, and perhaps string choice.

crazydave911 likes this.
  10. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Go simple:

One humbucker with both bobbins controlled by a 4-way switch for neck/parallel/bridge/series humbucker.
    Kirchen reversed control mod too.
    [​IMG]

mexicanyella likes this.
  11. Laren

Laren Tele-Meister

Lots of options. I'm going for the 500 kOhm audio taper CTS volume pot and 3 way Toggle pickup selector switch to start with.

Right now to go drill holes.

12. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like the simplest circuit possible. Switch and Vol control will work just fine.

13. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nice Esquire!

crazydave911 likes this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I've done a coil split on a HB before and it works fine. The HB reads out to 11k, so split it has a 5.5 ish k single which is very capable of delivering Strat tones.

A HB that has uneven coils like a P Rail works great on the P90 side while the Rail alone is pretty weak. So it really depends on how much those split coils are putting out.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My avatar guitar has a tone circuit that I find very usable. The tone cap is on a 3-way on/off/on switch. I have a .022 cap on one side and a .033 on the other. Middle off bypasses the tone pot for volume only. A very versatile setup that's cheap to do. I don't use the .033 setting much, but it's there if I need it. The other 2 settings get used all the time.

crazydave911 likes this.
  16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I have a Les Paul with coil splitting and it doesn't do a thing for me so I never use it. I built a La Cab for a buddy who wanted it fairly true to the originals and it has one S1 knob and a 3 way pickup switch with 2 Filtertrons that I wound. Sounds great but wiring an S1 is a bit of a pain.

If it was my choice I'd keep it simple and go with volume, tone and a 3 way. It'll sound great no matter what.

BB, Zepfan and crazydave911 like this.
  17. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I think 2 Humbucker pickups usually benefit quite a bit from the independent vol/tone. If I had that guitar and the room I'd wire it like an SG.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I would definitely not do a coil split as I have never heard one that was remotely useful. Single tone control at most.

tubelectron likes this.
  19. Bella

Bella Tele-Meister

Instinctively I want to say v+t for each pickup but in thinking about it, I'm leaning toward v+t bridge & v for neck. I use tone a lot on bridge but almost never on neck. Plus rolling off vol will roll off top end anyway and as neck pickups are usually pretty dark...

I'd def want vol in both pickups. I'm always riding those and I like being able to change the balance of both pickups in the middle position.

EDIT: For aesthetic simplicity I'd maybe consider stacked tone for the above.

20. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I like the idea of three-way Gibson toggle and single volume pot...but with it a push-pull pot controlling coil taps. I like the option of both pickups together but tapped for rhythm parts, or same selection boosted to the moon for juicy-sounding, kinda out of control soloing tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.