Electricity question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boubou, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

We have older Christmas lights and newer. The newer have the “polarized” plug, the older not.
    I can’t connect the newer into the older. I am very tempted to take a file and make the polarized plug into a non-polarized one.
    Can someone explain to me why Christmas lights actually need a polarized plug?

String Tree likes this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

So you don't get shocked when you touch the mic. (I dunno)

3. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

So that the neutral will remain the neutral and the hot will remain the hot in the circuit.

4. AndyPanda

AndyPanda Tele-Meister

Since there is no metal chassis anywhere so nothing metal for anyone to come into contact with if either wire shorted to the non existent chassis .. I don't see any problem with it.

5. RoarDog

RoarDog Tele-Meister

I thought polarized anything was to reduce noise in a circuit like that 60 cycle hum we all know. I don't why it would be relevant in a lighting situation. I hope those cords aren't designed by the same guys who designed the safety nozzles for gas cans.

stxrus likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would give it a try, I would monitor it though and check the house insurance.

7. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

It's so that the neutral is the threaded part where the bulb screws on and the hot is the little metal tab at the bottom of the socket. This way you won't get zapped if you touch the threaded part and ground. If the polarity is revered the threaded part would be hot all the time and you could get zapped.

[​IMG]

TheGoodTexan and RoarDog like this.
  8. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

Polarization is for safety and is there for a raft of reasons. One that comes to mind is lamp sockets being wired so that the bulb becomes partially unscrewed and you happen to make contact with it, you're touching the neutral rather than the hot. Another is making sure a device with a fuse in it doesn't remain energized (even if non-functioning) after the fuse blows.

Christmas lights are probably a crapshoot, but UL won't list any device that should have one. Of course, the string of cheap lights from the drugstore could well have phony UL stickers on it.

9. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

as above, with the added ,
    if the new string with the polorization is an LEd strand the circuit that controls the LEDs needs to have a proper polarity to operate properly even if the source is an A/C current , and current always flows from hot to nuetral, it keeps things current to safety standard.

also if there is a switch in line it always breaks connection on the hot stopping the current flow before it hits the device , if the switch was on the reversed line, current would still flow through the device and live current would be active after the device even with the switch was turned off . so for your safety ......

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I say just go for it.
    Sticking a fork in an outlet is fun too.

11. vid1900

vid1900 Tele-Meister

Do not defeat the safety plug.

12. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

UL Listings.
    All New Duplex Receptacles are Polarized thus, the Plug on the cord has to be as well.

First and Foremost, I always recommend that everything be polarized, less chance of a Gotcha!

If you do file, just make sure you always unplug everything before you change any bulbs.

13. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

14. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

Of course we are assuming that your house is wired correctly to begin with :) It could be time to toss the old lights anyway.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I believe, and I could be wrong, but assuming your new lights are LEDs: LEDs are basically tiny simple microchips and require termination to function. So, the grounding is being used for termination. Hopefully, someone can chime in to confirm.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

You should only reverse the polarity if the situation is dire...

17. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Holic

Plugging an unpolarized *anything* into a power outlet is what I like to call "Shaking Hands with Jeebuz."

It is not worth the risk. And the risk goes exponentially higher if you have children and pets in the area.

boris bubbanov likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.