1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electric yard tools (string trimmer)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stubee, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I’ve got a number of good Stihl tools that have seen years of hard use with no problems. I’ve also got a little weed whacker, an FS-45 and while it’s OK it’s been the most temperamental of ‘em all. I think it might have just bit the dust and I’m thinking of a new string trimmer for general medium duty: two houses, trimming grass at one and taller weeds at another. I’ve got an FS-110 I use to clear brush and small trees but it’s way too big for trimming around a house. I don’t need another “handle bar” trimmer, just a light one to use around the yard, lake shore, etc.

I was gonna just get another lower model Stihl line trimmer but wonder if anybody has experience with newer cordless electric trimmers that can handle “medium duty”, like run for a steady 45 minutes of cutting. I tried searching here but no luck.

2. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’ve got a Jonsered that does a good job for me. I also have their battery chainsaw so if I want extra juice I use the chainsaw battery in the trimmer. It’s a little heavier but not enough to bother me
    My sweet wife bought them for me at Costco, she loves to buy things to keep me working

3. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I build power lines and we use Makita cordless tools exclusively for things like chain saws, sawzall, grinder, drills, "rattle gun" (put a 1/2 " socket on the end of it to tighten or loosen nuts). I liked them so much, I bought a hedge trimmer, blower, small vacuum cleaner plus my own rattle gun, drill and smaller rattle gun.

The batteries are generally more expensive than the tool but if you get two 4.0 amp batteries, you can run them for a very long time. My hedge trimmer cuts nearly all of my hedge before the battery runs down. Also, don't run your battery completely down. It's a lithium ion battery and that's how you kill them. When it gets low, stop and charge it. Most of them come with a charge indicator on the battery.

After thinking about it, I'd say you could probably do all of your weed eating with just one battery. They charge in about 20 minutes or less.

RodeoTex and Fretting out like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

5. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Worx, but get additional battery pack(s).

6. philpm

philpm Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have the Kobalt 80V trimmer from Lowes, and have found it to have a pretty good run time on a single battery.

7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

not much help here but I have a lower end stihl and I removed some piece a couple years ago from the back (spark arrester maybe?) and got a new carburetor for it (about $50 and pretty easy to replace) and use non-ethanol gas and it needed all this two years into its life but now three more years later and it still works well.

Torren61 likes this.
  8. Treehouse

Treehouse Tele-Meister

My FS-56RC has been killer for $200. Hoping to will it to my kid!

I can’t imagine any electric could outlast it, although the reduced dB’s does have an appeal.

9. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Afflicted

I love Makita cordless drivers as well, couldn't live without them. Every few years, you'll need to replace the batteries tho (I just did) and that will run $100+. You do the math. I got tired of wrestling with cheap line trimmers for a few years before I'd have to replace them. I bit the bullet and bought a Shindaiwa which is what the golf course maintenance guys use down here. It cost twice as much but went 10 years before I had to replace the carb.

Torren61 and Harry Styron like this.
  10. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

We have a B&D Cordless and it is OK, I have a gas Stihl as well. I think the battery model is heavy for the performance but it is not a Makita. I bought a DR wheeled trimmer a few years back and will never go back to handheld.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

FS-90. It does it all. I just cut 250 Xmas trees down in my fire zone and then changed from the chainsaw circular blade to the string head and weedwhacked around the house and shop. Later in the summer I'll swap in the three plastic bladed head for cutting the knapweed. Only one weedeater to maintain and it is completely rebuildable.

Torren61 and Treehouse like this.
  12. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

When my gas trimmer died I went with a dewalt brushless string trimmer. I have 5 dewalt 20v packs from my other tools so it just made sense for me. I wasn’t expecting a lot out of it but it’s surprisingly powerful. I bought a tool combo that came with a blower, it’s great for grass clippings and blowing out the garage but I wouldn’t tackle autumn leaf cleanup with it. Overall, if your yard isn’t massive I don’t see much of a downside to battery operated lawn tools anymore.

electrichead likes this.
  13. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I have always had electric weed wackers, the few lower end battery ones I tried were a bit average.

Eventually the self releasing mechanism on all the battery/electric pee'd me off one to many times. I now own a 2 stroke one that you put a set length piece in and just replace that piece as it gets too short.

Winding reels and hoping the button release would work but it nearly always didn't requiring stopping, turning it over, dismantling the spool and pulling out a length...only for it to happen again the next or the next, next time.

Drove me fricking crazy!!!

Also just bought a 2 stroke blower/mulcher. My mega electric one was just to damn heavy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  14. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've got a Ryobi rechargeable string trimmer. It sux. I had 2 batteries replaced under warranty with 2 new ones, and one of those has died. It's overly heavy. It doesn't balance very well. I really don't like it.

I've got a Makita cordless drill/driver. Excellent tool.

Treehouse likes this.
  15. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

We have been using the Worx 20 volt with two batteries and leaf blower they have been great. I like the wheels on the trimmer and the trimmer head is adjustable and the length is adjustable.My wife likes it as well.

16. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I'm a Milwaukee man myself. But that's because I've already bitten the bullet and have enough invested that I can buy a tool and already have the battery for it at home. For the record though, I'm still using my Stihl gas powered string trimmer. When it dies I'll go with Milwaukee to match everything else.

Torren61 likes this.
  17. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Check out the EGO brand. I recently bought a string trimmer and a leaf blower and like them a bunch. Well built with a good warranty. Plus they’re made in Grand Rapids, MI. Check Home Depot, I don’t think Lowe’s carries them.

swany, OldPup, Torren61 and 2 others like this.
  18. TCA117

TCA117 Tele-Meister

I have both a Stihl (gas) and Ryobi (battery) You do NOT get 45mins from the battery. Maybe 10mins of use.

The Ryobi is perfect for quick light duty - but that's it.

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

one of my old 18v Ryobi batteries had been dead, sitting on a bench for 5-10 yrs maybe... I've got two for the drill, so I just used the other one...

today I watched this video.... got my old battery that wouldn't charge, scraped the rust off the contact plates and put it in my charger... showed yellow/green dead fault...

switched the wall outlet on and off about 20+ times thinking it wasn't going to do anything.... then lo and behold the lights went out meaning it was charging.... left it for an hour or so until the green full charge light came on... tried it in the drill and it WORKED,,,good and strong....:eek:o_O:D

unreal...2 batteries now..:)

20. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another vote for EGO. I have the string trimmer and it is one of the best battery-powered tools that I own. Several neighbors borrow it regularly (including 1 with multiple Stihl gas-powered units in his shed).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.