Electric Strings on Acoustic

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Octorfunk, Sep 13, 2021.

1. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

I'll be one of the 3 wise monkeys, and pretend I didn't read that. :eek::eek::eek:

2. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Holic

Thanks for all the feedback !

It started for me because I'm typically the only guitarist where I play, and hate having to choose between acoustic or electric. I picked up the Fender Smolder acoustic overdrive, so I can switch between a true acoustic tone to a convincing electric tone.

Also I've recently moved away from using picks, so having a lighter string means less wear & tear on the fingers.

3. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

I had one of the acoustics here strung with 10-46 electric strings. I tried getting used to it for years but recently put it back in its case because it’s annoying to have to retune it so frequently. The feel is a little weird too.

4. screefer

screefer Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I recently put Dad EJ15 10-47s phosphor bronze on my Yamaha Apx600 and it completely changed the sound and playability.
    My wore out meat hooks had sent it to the back of the bus and now it's riding shotgun

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have used them. I have a Guild acoustic with a Gibson P100 in the soundhole right now and I use steel 10-46 strings on it. Seems fine to me. I like 11-48 a bit better but the 10-46 are better on my old hands. I wouldn't do it n an acoustic meant to be played unplugged. As you mentioned... jangley a bit. (This guitar had a broken headstock and I got it cheap, so didn't mind modifying it. An old Guild that plays like an electric action wise.)
    [​IMG]

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

A friend of mine had an old beater Japanese martin copy strung up with Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. Talk about some twangy sounds, yikes! It was a fun guitar to play though. Very forgiving on the fingers.

7. suave eddie

suave eddie Friend of Leo's

I recently discovered these strings from John Pearse.

John Pearse Silk and Phosphor Bronze Acoustic Guitar Strings

"The exciting new SILKS sets mark a departure from orthodox acoustic string design. Formulated for the electric guitarist who doubles on acoustic, this set features a never before possible "playing ease" tension married with the warmth and projection for which our acoustic strings are famous. Our triple annealed mild steel is pulled through a draw plate to make an extra skinny core. Onto this is wound a silk multifilament which cushions a phospor bronze winding. This is NOT a silk and steel set. The natural edginess of the phosphor bronze winding is tempered by the silk cushion to produce a tone that studio players everywhere are likening to our 80/20 bronze sets after they have been played in. Steve Sheehan, lead guitarist with the Judds, asked us to make this set. Guitarists all over America are thanking him!"

[​IMG]

8. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I've tried playing with electric 10's but my acoustic just sounds much better on phosphor Bronze 12's and I don't see the need myself. Also most acoustic strings will play fine amlified with a magnetic pick up as the cores are all magnetic.

9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have used electric-guitar strings on my Yamaha acoustic forever. Originally, I did that because I could swipe electric strings from my roadie job. But I came to enjoy the sound, too.

I always like to add at least one acoustic guitar on any recording. I frequently add more, and often my little old Yamaha is high-strung (Nashville 10-12-10-12-20-26)

One studio I worked in was quite popular with acoustic guitar players. And the recordings made there sounded great. But when we went in with a more pop/rock outfit - featuring a singer/songwriter who played acoustic - the sound was just off.

I couldn't do anything about the singer's guitar. He believed in big old bronze strings, and the studio owner did too. But they were always just too woofy and deep for me. I doubled most of his parts on my lightly-strung Yamaha. Those parts sounded thin, when played back alone. But they sat much better in the overall mix.

10. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

I've used those as well and they are were excellent strings.

11. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike TDPRI Member

I use D’addario EXL 110W on both of my 12-fret acoustics and my Taylor T5z. They play great, are easy to bend, and have a wound G. They sound good acoustically for practice, but I always play amped for performances. My acoustics play like my electrics, and I like it that way.

12. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’ve done it when I’ve broken strings and didn’t have anything else

I wouldn’t do it on purpose though

Doesn’t sound all that great to me, especially after they’ve been played in a little

I also play 12’s on electric and acoustic so I’m not worried about making an acoustic slinkier

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.