Electric Smoker?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by wetland10, Jul 23, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I know a lot of people here BBQ and smoke meat so I figured I'd ask. I was looking at the Masterbuilt electric smokehouse as a beginner smoker. I've always wanted a smoker and thought it might be a nice way to try it out. Anyone have one? Thoughts? Can you leave an electric smoker outside, or does it need to go inside when not in use?

Wayne

2. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Had a nicer electric grill in the 80's, and it stayed parked outside just like a gas grill. The electric smokers may park out in weather just as well...

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I considered getting something like that, but really, charcoal is a hell of a lot simpler. I use (and recommend) one of these Brinkmann Smoke-n-Grills:

[​IMG]

I use a Weber Rapidfire Chimney Starter, which couldn't be easier to use. Two balled-up pieces of newspaper, no lighter fluid, no mess, no hassle.

[​IMG]

...and that smoker is a hundred bucks cheaper than the electric model!

Tim

4. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, a decent small charcoal smoker is great--the key is, like tim mentioned--get a chimney starter, and make sure whatever smoker you buy has a nice solid fit between it's sections--you can lose a lot of heat and smoke thru some little gaps...and don't EVER use lighter fluid on charcoal you're going to smoke with!!!!!!

i got a decent off brand smoker for under $100 bucks...it does have a little heat/smoke losing gap, so i just stuff that with a wet rag and i keep my temperature nice and steady.

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I guess, for me, I'd prefer not to have to keep reloading the charcoal. Figured the electric would be easier in that way.

Wayne

6. Marc Rutters

Marc Rutters Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

If you build guitars the benefit of a charcoal smoker is using the wood cut offs. Alder is excellent for smokin fish.

7. jazztele

well, i get that, but part of the fun of smoking is babysitting the meat with a cooler full of beer and a guitar on your lap. it's an all day thing, and it'll get you out of just about anything...

"honey, i gotta stay with the meat."

8. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

You don't need to keep reloading with charcoal all the time, I have a cheap 100 buck smoker from wallmart (I think).... a charcoal chimney full of charcoal last about 5 hours, you should realize that mine leaks a decent amount as well.

If you want to try an electric smoker on the cheap check out this link....Terra Cotta Smoker. There are a bunch of these on instructables and tons all over the interweb.

I think for the large pots, grill material, hot plate, and use some bricks or the decorative Terra Cotta stand offs to keep the pot off the ground. Everything total should come to 50 or 60 bucks.

9. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I've never needed to reload with charcoal more than once for ANYTHING! Most times, I get good results for things like ribs without reloading at all.

Tim

10. JimmyJam

JimmyJam Tele-Afflicted

Man, this thread is making me HUNGRY!
    :p

11. Slow Reflexes

Slow Reflexes Poster Extraordinaire

Dangit, now I gotta go clean the Weber.

12. Westerly Sunn

Westerly Sunn Poster Extraordinaire

They got a little thang called the minion method. You just load the charcoal pan up with your chosen amount of charcoal and then place a few lit briquettes on top and let 'em light progressively throughout the cook... Gives nice long cooks and contributes to controllable temps...

13. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

Go with the charcoal and definitely get the Weber chimney deal. The Weber thing is amazing. And smoking with coals is the way to go. Very simple. If I can do it, anybody can.

14. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I'm going to look into that. Never heard of it.

15. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I've never seen a pot smoker(?) before. Interesting, do you use one? I'm not sure I would trust it to be accurate or not.

Wayne

16. jazztele

that's how pops taught me...you have the smoker goin, and you have another metal bucket or small grill (like a little smokey) going and you add a few new coals if your temperature fluctuates...this more important on a long smoke, like a pork butt or something, where you're out there for 8-9 hours!

ribs fall into that window where you can set it and forget it, but why would you want to?...couple of shiner smokehaus', an acoustic guitar, the newspaper...all the neighborhood folks stopping by trying to get a free smell...

17. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

FYI--you can build one of those little chimneys with a 3 pound coffee can and a can opener...you can actually install a handle if you're serious about your toys, but I just pull it out with a pair of pliers.

If I had to pick one thing to complain about having a smoker, it's this: Anytime the temperatures get into the upper 70's, it smells like FOOD anywhere within about 20 feet of my smoker...that'll drive ya crazy sometimes!

18. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

Electricity? To smoke meat?

::looks at his woodpile::

::shrugs::

19. WYfish

WYfish Tele-Meister

Don't know much anything about the electric smokers, but I do know I like my weber. Fill it with charcoal and it'll hold a consent temp. all day long.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.