Electric or gas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, May 24, 2020.

Do have an electric or gas stove?

1. Gas

71 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Electric

39 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Wood

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Micro only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What? Me cook?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I picked gas for a completely left-field reason, story:
    ( side note: I don't cook anything, but my wife likes the adjustability of gas burners on the stove)

Years ago when we still had our little house, the ORIGINAL GAS FURNACE died in the Winter ( HVAC guys say it literally 'cooked itself' and disintegrated over so many years), and being the poor SOB, I've always been, I could not afford to replace it.

So for this Winter ( 2013?, Northern Virginia) we 'got by,' by using 3 electric space heaters ( just a 1000 sq. ft. house) AND turning our gas oven ON when my wife and son got home from work around 7, ( I just played music, so home a lot in the daytime) put it at 300° ,open the oven door halfway, and keep it ON till 10:30. Turn it OFF, leave door open. This would warm up our Living room which was right off the kitchen, just fine.

Not proud of this, but we made it through the Winter and were able to replace furnace before the following Winter.

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    tery and dented like this.
  2. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Holic

There is no mains gas in our village and I wont have gas bottles in the house, so we got an induction hob....and I would never go back to a gas stove again, never liked electric for cooking but this induction hob is just superb

tery and dented like this.
  3. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Holic

Oh I thought it was electric chair or gas chamber.

dented and Gardo like this.
  4. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

I don't own a cast-iron skillet, for that very reason. :(

However... enameled cast iron works and doesn't scratch, so now you've got me wondering if something could be placed under the skillet while cooking, to protect the glass. Hmm... I'll check the fire extinguisher, and maybe start experimenting.

dented likes this.
  5. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Holic

She went to a fancy store at the mall and got a $100 frying pan that works just like cast iron.

dented likes this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

I'd vote for get it set up for gas. I've used both over the years.

Durability of gas stoves (and gas driers) is much longer than electrics.

... the Induction stoves, what kind of noise do they induce in the guitar and amp even if several rooms away? The size of the electric coil required to heat up a pan of water while you're standing there stirring it is a bit worrisome too. A huge alternating expanding and collapsing magnetic field ...

If you haven't yet, look into getting a couple of cast iron pans and a griddle along with metal spatulas like they use in restaurants. Changes your chef experience.

dented likes this.
  7. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I can see that many of you with electric are satisfied. I just can't do it. It drives my realtor crazy when she finds a nice house for me and it doesn't have gas. I'm surprised that in some areas the houses even have NG wells of their own. Mostly up in Kentucky and Tennessee. I'll check the laws and see if they are changing in the communities I look for a home.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have gas and like cooking with it. I hate the big iron tops they put on them now to look faux "commercial" though. Hard to clean, debris accumulates under those grates. Ugh. I'm considering getting a very basic gas stove with those little separate burner grates. I saw a fairly fancy one in a condo that we stayed in. Probably because they are much easier to clean!

BUT, I would be tempted to try electric again. The gas oven isn't great really. I hate electric due to the slow response time of the heat. But I wonder if there aren't modern high end ones that do heat control better? Not a big fan of those glass tops although they do clean fairly easy.
    I could try induction I suppose but would need to replace all the pans I like.

But OP... jerk the Electric and install a Propane tank, stove and plumbing. Not that hard. A propane tank for cooking only will last forever.

dented likes this.
  9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yep, I'm going to find a way. It will bug me forever if I don't have it. And I have one of those gas stoves with the big side by side grates. I don't mind cleaning under it. I do it every time I cook, habit. It's also like lifting weights!

10. Speedfish

Speedfish Tele-Meister

Induction.

Absolutely hated the old style electric range.

dented likes this.
  11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

I grew up with electric stoves. I've had the glass cooktop type too. But once I got a gas stove I'll never go back.

That's why the saying is "now you're cooking with gas." No one ever says "now you're cooking with an electricity" and there is a reason for that.

If I had to live in a house that didn't have a gas stove, I'd get one of those huge tanks installed and have the gas truck fill it up whenever necessary. Cooking is very important to me, and there is no way I'm ever going back to electricity.

dented likes this.
  12. saltyseadog

saltyseadog Tele-Meister

We have an induction hob and an electric oven because my wife never used gas before but I did and prefer the heat control you have with gas. Induction is quicker than either but is a pain if like me you like keeping the frying pan moving.

dented likes this.
  13. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

We had this house built almost 2 years ago and when we were told that this community isn't plumbed for gas we had a propane tank buried on the lot. So, now we have a gas range, gas fireplace and gas BBQ out back. We do have an electric combination microwave/wall oven and the microwave can double as a second oven. The house has 3-zone electric HVAC.

The propane tank cost about $1500 to install, we rent it for $70 or so per year and it costs about $350 to fill it. So far we filled it when we moved in and since then we topped it up once, so it's been inexpensive to run.

dented likes this.
  14. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The availability of natural gas is limited by the location of pipelines and the financial return for acquisition of rights-of-way and construction. Northern Georgia is rugged and not probably not near any major gas pipelines. The potential number of customers per mile for a gas distribution system in that area is probably small, though the population is growing there. Only propane is locally available, which can be very expensive, since it must be trucked to a bulk plant then trucked again to each consumer.

In the Ozarks, where I live, there is a major high-pressure natural gas pipeline that runs along I-44 across southern Missouri. Many communities near this line had natural gas service. About 10 years ago, a company obtained funding to extend a distribution system southward to several communities in the more rugged parts of the Ozarks, such as Branson, and I was delighted to get rid of my propane tank and get natural gas. The company used modern boring equipment and flexible lines so that streets and lawns didn’t have to be dug up by trenching machines to install the system. The company also, without charge, changed the orifices of my appliances to use natural gas.

And like Reece has pointed out, gas must compete with cheaper TVA electricity.

dented likes this.
  15. BramptonRob1958

BramptonRob1958 Tele-Meister

Gas Cooktop, electric oven.

dented likes this.
  16. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Electric is the norm here, since we have a lot of hydro-electric dams in the mountains.
    I've cooked with gas in the past and I enjoyed it!

At home it's a wood stove in the winter, and a glasstop electric stove in the summer.

dented likes this.
  17. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

We have an old house that was originally on oil heat. Its been converted to gas, but the appliances are still all electric. The electric stove is ok and you get used to it, but if I had to choose I would go gas. I guess it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

dented likes this.
  18. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

We have gas. it's handy when you lose power in a storm to be able to cook all your food before it goes bad in the no longer working refrigerator.

dented likes this.
  19. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You can make your own electricity. Mostly not the case with natural gas.

20. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Gas cooktop was a must for me, I've lived with electric and always hated it. We are on gas already with a tankless HW heater and integrated HW baseboard heating system. High tech, efficient, good for cooking, and the cheapest.

dented likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.