Electric or gas?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dented, May 24, 2020.

Do have an electric or gas stove?

1. Gas

71 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. Electric

39 vote(s)
    35.1%
  3. Wood

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Micro only

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. What? Me cook?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am currently looking for a new home in the northern part of Georgia. Somewhere between Toccoa and Calhoun. I want some fresh air, fresh water and humidity...lol. But I have been looking from Kentucky down through Nashville into Georgia. I cannot believe on how many homes only have electric in the house and no natural gas. I am not looking way out in the boonies. I need to be in town to a point. But the greater percentage of homes have electric kitchens. WTH? Even homes inside of city limits have not been plumbed with natural gas. I just don't understand. Doesn't the power go out from storms? Isn't natural gas cheaper than electric? I know for a fact as a life long cook it is better to cook with a gas stove. Someone tell me why all of these homes have electric only and no gas. Oh... and if some of them do have gas they stub the fireplace but not the kitchen! WTH? again Thanks for your responses.

2. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have you ever heard of the TVA? Although I prefer gas heat the TVA has damned everything that just trickles water to make electricity so many neighborhoods just have electric. You have to look fairly hard for natural gas or propane.

tdoty and dented like this.
  3. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Electric. it came with the house. It was cheaper than propane, which was the heat source, but we just got NG. time for a new range!

dented likes this.
  4. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

We’re in rural MO and have propane heat and water heaters, but an electric stove with a glass cooktop. I like the easy wipe down and the extra workspace when the burners aren’t on, but I miss the immediate heat and easy “throttle-ability” of gas burners like we had growing up.

The glass cooktop imparts a delay while it heats up or when you need to crank the temp up or down, and that’s a real disadvantage sometimes.

At least service from our rural electric co-op is reliable; our power was out for maybe four hours a few weeks ago and that’s about the only real power outage we’ve had in years.

glenlivet and dented like this.
  5. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Gas, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

dented likes this.
  6. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

agreed - I have no idea why so many homes are heated w/ gas, yet they have electric appliances? :confused:

Gas is far better for a stovetop, no question!

When we moved into a home and had to remodel the kitchen prior to moving in I remember saying "yeah, whatever you want is cool -- I only want ONE thing - a gas line brought over for the stovetop!"

dented likes this.
  7. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Our house has gas heat and hot water heaters but only wired for electric cooktop and ovens, we thought about running gas to at least have a gas cooktop but it's expensive, so electric it is.

stormsedge and dented like this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Is there a choice for real cooking? IMG_2823.JPG IMG_2880.JPG

9. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

If you've followed the news, over the past year cities in the US are starting to ban new construction hook-ups for natural gas due to greenhouse warming.

It's distressing because - at least in all my experience - cooking is so, so much better controlled with gas. Enjoy it while you can!

nojazzhere, rand z, tdoty and 2 others like this.
  10. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Stovetop => Gas. All the way. No contest.

Oven => Electric. If you bake anything, ever, get electric. The on/off of gas just doesn't do as good a job as the even heat of electric.

Lucky you, they make them this way. Get a gas stovetop with an electric oven and cook away to your heart's content.

- Bob

11. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I live in the woods and don't have gas. Forget electric ranges and go for an induction cook top. My Kitchen Aid 5 burner is better than any gas range I have ever had. Heats up quickly and does not heat the area. No blow by that you get from gas so there is really no need for a hood above. Convection oven/microwave round out the kitchen.

12. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

My house has a electric stove top and a separate E oven.... I've gotten use to it and works ok for the cooking I do...

my bro is a plumber/gas fitter I could convert to gastop stove if I felt the need... but haven't yet.. it's an extra account to hassle with or bottles to change at inopportune times...

I do have a gas bbq outside if the power goes out... or go and gather some sticks for a fire... ;)

dented likes this.
  13. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel ya - we plumbed for gas @ time of remodel in '94 and went for natural gas on water heater, dryer stub (we still air dry) stove-top and grill-on-the-deck.
    Stove-top: no contest w/ electric.
    Oven - yeah, electric.

Now how about your amps? LNG or AC? :rolleyes:

tarheelbob and TeleTucson like this.
  14. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

Those 1960's NG-powered Twin Reverbs were the bees knees. Too bad they discontinued them.

Deeve likes this.
  15. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Yes, California is starting to cut short the construction projects with NG. Going to electricity which it does not have and buys from other states. NG will be around until oil and coal are eliminated
    Them three little chicks are yellin' to get offa' there. Come on you meanie!

Obsessed and TeleTucson like this.
  16. GGardner

GGardner Friend of Leo's

Our gas stove has an option called "power boil" (or something like that) where it just unleashes the dragon. Very cool.

dented and TeleTucson like this.
  17. tdoty

tdoty Tele-Meister

Haven't had a gas stove since I left Central Illinois. Alabama, Albuquerque, Southern Middle Tennessee all seem to be mostly electric.

I also agree about being "sorta in-town".......at least close enough to get cable internet!

dented likes this.
  18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Wanted gas and we are plumbed for it but the wife was against it for good reasons: 2 young kids and (the big one) one elderly household member that probably should not be around open flames.

Octomann, nojazzhere and dented like this.
  19. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh no, they like it up there on the top of the warming oven. BTW, who was the idiot that eliminated the warming oven anyway? Greatest invention since sliced bread ... err ... oh wait, the warming oven was invented before sliced bread. :cool:

dented likes this.
  20. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Look into induction stovetops. They're electric, but awesome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.