Electric guitar capo recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jakedog, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the problem-

I can play in any key I need to, I'm not lazy. But- A few of the tunes I do come off a lot better if I can use all of the open string avenues afforded by playing them in certain open chord formations.

My Kyser has the basic Kyser problem, it squeezes too tight, and pushes the guitar out of tune. I can get my Shubb to do the job, but often when I bend with the capo on, the strings kind of get stuck in it, leaving them half bent, and out of tune.

Is there a capo that you guys know of that will work better with my electric? I'm dyin' over here.

I use .11 gauge strings, and I really don't want to go any heavier on my electrics, I'm really comfortable there. I'm just starting think I might be asking for too much to have a use a capo in tune when playing electric and soloing.

Thanks.

2. blacklinefish

blacklinefish Tele-Afflicted

I do not have much experience with a capo, but my feeling is that we should put the capo right behind the fret - just like where you should finger a note.

Now I am wondering if you would have better success having a tight capo in the middle of the fret, or even close to the lower fret. This way it would give the fret above the capo the opportunity to slide the string back to its place. What I am thinking is that your tight Shubb is pinching the string the short distance from the capo to the fret - so increasing this distance might help.

Do be careful, I am sure you are aware of harming the back of your neck with a capo that is too tight.

3. FMA

FMA Poster Extraordinaire

I've used a Shubb for years and never had a problem playing in tune. I think it's a matter of finding the right amount of pressure and placement. I never liked the Kyser or other clothespin-like jobs, too many tuning issues.

4. soultosoul13

soultosoul13 Tele-Meister

i use the dunlop trigger capo. but i use the one made for acoustic guitars on my electrics.
    as a blues player that does ALOT of bending, i have tried them all and this is the only one that plays in tune, and stays "out of the way"
    and i place it right behind the fret....

5. Strat62

Strat62 Friend of Leo's

I use the Jim Dunlop clip-on style. I believe it's for a folk guitar but it works great on my electrics when I want to lay down some open string rhythm chords. Super-easy to put on and never pushes the strings out of tune.

Attached Files:

6. buddywayne

buddywayne Tele-Afflicted

Ditto on the Dunlop.

7. Jakedog

Thanks guys, I'll try a Dunlop. I use a capo on the acoustic all the time without issues, but then again, it's strung heavier, and I don't really bend much, mostly flat pickin' style there. I think part of the issue may be my humongous frets. I love huge frets on my electrics, and very flat fretboards. Of my two main electrics, one has a 14" radius, and the other is compound 16-22". But I think with the lighter (even though mine are .11's) strings, and the added distance between the fretted note and the fretboard due to the very large wire, putting the squeeze on it makes it tough.

I'm going out for strings tomorrow, I'll see if I can get my hands on one of those Dunlop jobs.

Thanks again.

8. magicguitar

magicguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Another +1 on Dunlop

9. magicguitar

Just to get this # out of the way...

10. magicguitar

Feel better now...

11. soultosoul13

soultosoul13 Tele-Meister

i have huge frets on my tele and the dunlop works well.

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

:twisted:___________:twisted:
    The devil's post.
    :twisted:___________:twisted:

13. born2tele

born2tele TDPRI Member

Anyone have a clu of what capo mr Albert Collins used?

14. Jakedog

Albert Collins was the Chuck Norris of the blues. He didn't need a capo, he just stared at the strings, and they stuck where ever he wanted them to.:D

15. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I once posted a picture of me playing my tele on MySpace and I had a capo on - I got some serious flak for it! I even had some people I didn't know contact me to say "you just don't put a capo on a tele". Amazing! I've since got better but I like the spirit & confidence of this original post. I mean if it's good enough for Keef...

16. pengipete

pengipete Friend of Leo's

I've got half a dozen capos of different type. Certain ones fit better with certain guitars and not others - even different Tel's (fatter neck on the Baja, different radii etc).

17. fltpkr

fltpkr RIP

Shubb. You can adjust the pressure.

18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Dang it, Jakedog, now I'm laughing too hard to say that I have never had an issue with Shubb capos, and I bend strings all the time. But I wish I could do that Collins/Norris trick. That would be cool.

19. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pengi is correct... every neck has a different radius and profile and you really can't expect one design to cover all of them ...

20. TxTeleMan

TxTeleMan Tele-Afflicted

The Dunlop toggle capo works well, especially the ones with the adjustable strap. It's what I use.

Here's a trick for the Keyser, which is too tight and causes your ax to go out of tune.

A rubber band. That's right. One of those 1/4" items wrapped around the top part where you squeeze it to open it. A several wraps of the rubber band will counter the extreme clamping action of the Keyser and actually render it usable, so that you still have the ease of use, but without the out-of-tune-ness. It works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.