Electric Django

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Larry F, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:23 AM.

1. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I was 17, I discovered the world of mail order music (1969). I still remember a book of Charlie Christian transcriptions. What an impact that had. I also remember a Django Reinhardt record with the Hot Club group, with Stephane Grappelli on violin. Their version of Somewhere, Over the Rainbow is probably the happiest-sounding version ever. It swung beautifully.

Here is a recording of Django with Duke Ellington. He plays electric, although I have no info on the guitar and amp. At first, the electric sound he was getting sounded more American to me, but with the dips of Django' inflections and filigrees. Maybe because I got used to the sound, he eventually started sounding more and more like the Hot Club playing.

I really enjoy hearing his pitch choices. He's got an extremely hip ear, as this recording brings out.

2. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Brilliant. Had never heard this before.

Have you by chance read The Birth Of Loud yet. It’s about the creation and early days of solid body electric. Fender, Les and Paul Bigsby. Very well written and hard to put down.

There a few parts in it where the author discusses Les Paul and Django’s friendship. For as talented and brilliant as they both were neither could read music!

3. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I love it.

4. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Wonderful! I think that on that famous tour he used an Epiphone Electar combo (Electar guitar + Zephyr Dreadnaught). I have a Zephyr at home and if you play close to the bridge, it’s that sound. So, no reason to think he had anything different when recording this.

Top-notch gear for the time, fully on par with Gibson’s contemporary offerings… but of course the magic was in the fingers and head of Django. It’s wonderful how he builds up the intensity in the solo, and how ideas keep flowing.

DjangoEpiphone.jpg

5. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

I'd like to think Django will be enjoyed by generations to come. He was one of a kind. Thanks for posting, Larry F.

6. swingtime

swingtime Tele-Meister

His electric guitar recordings he made just before his death are fantastic by any measure ...

brookdalebill and RadioFM74 like this.
  7. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I can't think of any guitarist who hasn't referenced him as an influence or at least acknowledged his contribution. Thanks for posting; he is someone worth listening to for sure.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.