1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electric 12 string

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by lstdukestking, Nov 2, 2020.

1. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

Anybody here use an electric 12 string during the worship service. Would love to do a Warmoth 12 string tele build, but need to convince the wife. She's not really a fan of my acoustic 12 string so this is probably going to be a hard sell.

Bonus points for audio clips.

GoldieLocks and ravindave_3600 like this.
  2. Mahogany

Mahogany Tele-Meister

Marty Wilson Piper & Roger McGuinn are good references.

3. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

I used to own a Carvin acoustic 12 string ( electric model) with a sound hole.
    Sold it to fund a Taylor T5.
    Miss that Carvin and I'm still looking for it, to show up on Reverb someday.

4. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

I do...or at least I did pre-Covid. I use this 12 string Tele I built with Rumpel ‘57 pickups. 17150DC7-C7BC-4FE9-82E5-1857179F319A.jpeg

5. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

Here is that bonus audio. I recorded the rhythm and solo with the 12er the day the build was finished.

6. lstdukestking

Jakeboy,

Any particular songs you used it for or did you just take it on random Sundays and use it for whatever songs you played?

Jakeboy likes this.
  7. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

8. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

Played a 12 String Sigma for years until it got the best of my hands. My guitar was more physically demanding than a regular acoustic.

9. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i would really like a danelectro 6/12 for P/W. not too heavy and i think dano's sound great.

10. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

I think a Ric could sound great in worship.

hotraman likes this.
  11. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Tele-Afflicted

@lstdukestking , (btw, I love your handle)
    Until COVID derailed life as we know it, I used the 12 on weeks where we had a predominance of slower arpeggiated songs that morning. Or songs where my lead p,aging didn’t seem appropriate. I find an electric 12 just fits with praise and worship. It’s just so jangly and pretty.

lstdukestking and ravindave_3600 like this.
  12. lstdukestking

@Jakeboy appreciate the comment about my handle. Most people don't get it. Most think the l is a 1. I guess I can see that.

I'm hoping to get the electric 12 in the not too distant future. I got to play the acoustic 12 on Silent Night for Christmas. Went to watch the youtube video and all you can hear is the pastor because his wireless mic was on. I was disappointed I didn't get to hear it. Feel free to direct me to any recordings you have of the electric 12 being used in worship. I'd love to hear samples and get ideas.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I have an old Ibanez RT452 12 string that I put Lace Alumnitones in. For the right songs, it kills. But it is easy to make a 12 string (electric or acoustic) cloying. So, for me, not an every day thing.

hotraman likes this.
  14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I used a Danelectro 12 a few times in worship. It sounds great. It's different than a Ric 12 in that the drone strings are on top rather than on bottom. The 12 string is pretty cool to use by itself (especially dripping with modulation effects of one kind or another).

I also used it for a while as a Nashville slung guitar (basically remove all the big strings and just leave the drone strings on it) but that sort of arrangement really needs a compressor effect on it since the "G" string sounds crazy loud by itself. But this is a second or third guitar kind of thing that adds some atmosphere or girth to a rhythm section and not an instrument that sounds very good in a sparse arrangement.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    ravindave_3600 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.