1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Electric 12 String Options

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by adamp824, Mar 30, 2021.

1. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

I've tried most of the Rickenbacker 12s, they sound nice but the necks are too narrow for me to play. The exception being the 660/12 which is a few mm wider, but used versions are few and far apart in the UK, they also cost somewhere north of £2500.

I have a Burns Double Six, which has a wide neck, easy to play, inexpensive and plentiful on eBay;

upload_2021-4-2_15-5-6.png

I also have an MIJ Jackson Surfcaster, which I think sounds even better than the Ricks, sadly it also has the narrow neck, so once COVID is over it will have to go.

upload_2021-4-2_15-7-27.jpeg

@Jimclarke100 mentioned the Gordon Smith 12 string. There's one on Facebook marketplace at the moment, but at £700 appears to be £250 - £300 overpriced to me.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/447369243239451/

The Italia Rimini at around £650 new gets a lot of love, though I've never seen one myself. Also the Harley Benton from Thomann is a very cheap option at £169 plus taxes and shipping from Germany.

upload_2021-4-2_15-15-10.png upload_2021-4-2_15-13-31.png

2. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Eastwood Classic 12, well within your budget and a nice player

adamp824 likes this.
  3. Fearnot

Fearnot Poster Extraordinaire

Rumors, I suppose... which are a threat to my wallet.

adamp824, AAT65 and SixStringSlinger like this.
  4. Rip

Rip TDPRI Member

I love the Fender 12 String sound, an overlooked great guitar is the Squier Venus XII. It is basically a Fender Electric 12 down to the split pickups by Seymour Duncan and real Leo Fender bridge. They are sort of below the radar so if you can find one it should be in your price range.... the Danos have good sound though i haven't played one...

Attached Files:

5. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

My wallet would welcome that particular threat.

adamp824 likes this.
  6. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

I hope that Squier will make an Electric XII with vintagd specs

adamp824 and SixStringSlinger like this.
  7. Rip

Rip TDPRI Member

Squier Venus XII real Fender bridge, real Fender pickups (by Seymour Duncan) great sound ...somewhat unknown so reasonable if you can find one DSCN0080.JPG

adamp824 and BuckSatan like this.
  8. Shiner51

Shiner51 TDPRI Member

Reverend Airwave hands down! Mine has low action all the way up the neck. Great intonation and electronics. I have several other Reverends and they are near pefect out of the box. As another poster said, a 12 string is a specialty item that gets used sparingly and rightfully so. Its not something you want to play on every song unless you want smaller audiences lol.

adamp824 and rittercu like this.
  9. Sotakoira Musti

Sotakoira Musti Tele-Afflicted

You have a solid point there my friend!

If one want’s to have a Ric with wider nut, it’s 660/12 or 1993 plus.

I have a 360C63/12. My fingers are as thick as a bunch of di*ks. But it is manageable.

That Harley Benton would be my choice if limited cash and the most important of all, limited un-Beatles disease.

adamp824 and AAT65 like this.
  10. kedj11

kedj11 Tele-Meister

Another vote for the Alternate Reality Fender Electric XII. I got mine for $999 from Musician's Friend. I financed it so it costs me $26 a month with no interest so it's almost like getting it for free (provided I don't ever miss a payment). It's a good guitar, I've only had two issues so far: My G strings keep going out of tune (one goes sharp and the other goes flat, which is annoying and possibly a nut issue) and one of the pickups is angled a little off (it doesn't effect the sound though and isn't a big deal, just less than perfect). I am sure a good set up would take care of these issues and after Covid is over and I get a couple of other things fixed (my 72 SF Twin needs a new power chord) off to the shop it will go. That all said, the guitar looks, plays and sounds great. I believe that Musician's Friend still has a couple in stock or you could buy a used one at inflated prices off of Reverb (some joker listed one for 2K and another one for $1500). Like a lot of folks, I lust for a Rickenbacker 660/12 but can't justify the cost (plus I used to own a Rick 450/12 a million years ago and was underwhelmed by the sound of it, though that was before I knew about using a compressor with a 12 string).

adamp824 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  11. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Reverend Airwave all day

I bought a mint used one a couple weeks ago for $1000.

P90’s, semi hollow, Gibson scale, intonation adjustment on all 12 saddles, bass contour, locking tuners.

Exceptional guitar, tough to beat for the price 0DDA469C-59DA-41FC-99BF-B369C027D117.jpeg

adamp824, ooglybong and rittercu like this.
  12. Jimbodiddley

Jimbodiddley TDPRI Member

I have the Dano 59X12. It's an excellent 12-string. Neck is really comfortable, action is great, sounds great. When I was out shopping, I tried a 12-string Strat (interesting but not quite there) and then the choice came down to the Dano or a reissue of the Fender XII with the cool hockey stick headstock.

It was close, but I liked the Dano a little more, the pickup combo is killer (lipstick pups and a P90 - I mean, get outta here!) plus it was almost half the price of the Fender. No-brainer.

The Dano is one of the best electric 12-strings out there, and it's one of the least expensive. Cool AF.

adamp824 and Twang Deluxe like this.
  13. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I went down this rabbit hole and came within a hairsbreadth of getting a Dano (Reverend guitars are basically unavailable in Japan). I was inspired in the first place by the idea of playing Lush, as mentioned earlier in the thread, though a 335 was always way beyond my budget. But good sense (as noted by @iamjethro) prevailed, and I went for Nashville tuning, on the very Tele that appears in my Avatar. It isn't a 12-string, but if you are (like me) just after a 12-string for 'some sounds' then it does a very good job, and mine set me back 450 yen (that's about $4, or, given the UK economy, maybe 50 quid).

Live is a whole different matter, of course. I have an Epiphone 12-string acoustic which I have used live and which, surprisingly, drew some attention. But I use my Nashville Tele for recording, and you can just double it up with a recorded regular guitar if you want to get the full 12 strings!

adamp824 likes this.
  14. ooglybong

ooglybong TDPRI Member

Another lower cost alternative, IF you can manage to find one of these out-of-production models, is the Yamaha Pacifica 303 12 (or later 303 12ii version, same guitar, different cosmetics). 12 intonatable saddles and ample string spacing (IMO) with a 5-way switch for those "Strat quack" tones, too. I own the 303 12ii version and it looks like this...

30312 ii full 2.jpg

15. Twang Deluxe

Twang Deluxe Tele-Holic

Has anyone of you compared the Digitech Mosaic to a real 12 string?

16. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

Man, if I bought the Rickenbacker company (LOL), as CEO I would immediately do a re-imagined series like Chris Martin IV did with Martin guitars. I would start with a 360-12 and 330-12 with a 1.75 inch nut, vintage toasters, single truss rod, and a tailpiece that would hold the string ball in place when you change strings.

Based comments on this thread, if that was available, I suspect that a lot of folks would somehow come up with the bucks to get a Rick. My new company's quarterly earnings would soar and I would retire to my new estate.

Fearnot, ooglybong and AAT65 like this.
  17. GearGeek01

GearGeek01 Tele-Meister

Go to your local music store, or online store, figure out what the lightest gauge electric 12-string set is they sell... and re-strung your acoustic guitar with the electric strings... you get much less tension and an easy to play guitar that way. I will still play and sound great, the only difference is that the electric strings will be a small shade less volume than the acoustic strings. But the trade-off is a guitar you can play.

I teach guitar lessons, and many times a brand new student will come for lessons with only an acoustic guitar with like a set of .013's or something. I'll re-string the acoustic with a set of electric .010's and they are generally very please that they now have a guitar they can practice and play for a longer period of time that doesn't kill their fingers.

I don't see why this wouldn't work for your acoustic 12. Put on a light gauge e;ectroc 12-string set and voila... easy to play (or at least a lot easier).

adamp824 likes this.
  18. iamjethro

iamjethro TDPRI Member

Like I said, Nashville tuning is easier controlled and sounds great recording wise. I do have a Boca if needed live. This guy compares it to the Ric.

adamp824 and Sleepyscholar like this.
  19. jlucarelli

jlucarelli TDPRI Member

Suggestion: I bouht a 10 string from Michael Kelly "Triad 10": . No octave on the low E and A string. I find it great for fingerpicking with a bass line while gotten that 12 string sound on the other 4 strings

adamp824 likes this.
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Poster Extraordinaire

I’d be interested in that Charvel Surfcaster if you’re really thinking of selling it...!

adamp824 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.