EL84 recommendations?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tezuka27, Jun 24, 2018.

1. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I get JJs from Eurotubes and never had a problem. Very sturdy and reliable tubes from my experience.

2. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

With an adjustable bias pot, you also need test points to measure the current flowing through the tube at quiescence. This it typically done with having a 1 ohm , 1% tolerance tolerance resistor between ground and the cathode of each power tube to allow you tocalculate the current flowing. Or, if you have measured and know the resistance of each side of your output transformer primary windtng you can use that to calculate quiescent current, but that is risky as you are now probing in high voltage territory.

3. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

A misconception to be sure.

ALL amps have bias voltage, even "self biasing" cathode bias amps.

"Self biasing" is a lousy term. They are "self adjusting" *if* all parts and voltages in the amp are within spec. But if something is out of whack - like, say, a drifted cathode resistor, or a wrong one installed from the start guess what?

The bias needs to be adjusted.

Any time major work - cap job, transformer replacement or cathode cap and resistor changed - the bias needs to be checked and possibly adjusted. No tube amp is "truly "set it and forget it".

awasson likes this.
  4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Right ... well, with a multimeter and a bias-probe (from Weber or Eurotubes) you can sit in your hotel room and safely bias your amp if it has a bias adjustment pot. Easy peasy.

5. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Afflicted

I've tried several variants of the 6P14P. The EV sounded the best of them all, so I snagged several sets. The K sounded pretty good as well, but just not quite as full or dynamic a tone as the EV. The ER version sounded bland. The problem with the regular 6P14P appears to be that it is only rated for 250 volts (so are the other variants per the spec sheets) and apparently are not built to be as robust as the other variants. The suffix does make a difference.

6. North East Al

North East Al Tele-Meister

I've used JJs and find them a bit meh! Just put matched set of Electro Harmonix in my Laney VC15 after a Ruby blew. Great sounding valves and the amp is much smoother.

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Didn't know you had the Weber tool. Yes, it is a great asset.

8. Les Paul lover

Les Paul lover Tele-Holic

They really are fantastic. I need 6 EL84 in my 2 amps. I replaced 4 in one amp, and by the result and comparison to newish JJ EL84 bought another 8 6P14P EV straight away.

Got 6 fitted in my amps, 6 spares, and I can't see myself buying regular EL84 again.

9. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I’ve been looking on EBay and it seems to be flooded with lots of sellers of those tubes but I’m not sure which ones to choose. Are they NOS or are the “lightly used”. That has me a little suspicious of their condition. Do you have a reputable seller to recommend?

I’ve got JJ’s in my amp and they’re good but I’m itching to try these 6P14P-EV’s now.

Les Paul lover likes this.
  10. Les Paul lover

I've bought mine all new, from this seller.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/292477705258

I have no association with him beside buying 12 if his 6P14P EV valves and being extremely pleased with them all.
    I recommended them to somebody else on the Orange forum, who has bought some of his and been really pleased too.

You've got to be ready to wait a few days though (1 to 3 weeks) and be prepared to possibly pay custom charges (I didn't on either of my 2 packages, both delivered in around 10 to 14 days).

Whilst I've only got 6 out of 12 fitted in my amps, i tried them all. None are microphonic, all sound fantastic.

awasson likes this.
  11. awasson

Great thanks. I appreciate the recommendation especially since you liked them so much, you went back for more. That speaks volumes. Now I’m really interested if I’ll note a difference between them and my JJ’s.

12. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Do tell how you like these, I am interested as well, have 2 amps that use EL84's....

13. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Here, that is not really accurate, they are all rated at 250v, difference being the upper operating limit;

http://www.tubes.ru/techinfo/HiFiAudio/6p14pev.html

Different tubes sound better in different circuits, glad you found the EVs and they work well for you. I have only tried the regular iteration but they were biased cold, I will throw them back in and not be lazy! As far as preference, I have these and K's and ones with gold grids, not sure if they all have gold grids though. The Dr.Z rep was the one who said They prefer the std. version, just passing along the info. What I can say is it seems to me the tube in general is more robust, the glass itself seem thick(er). Maybe just my perception though.

14. awasson

I just put in my order so I should get them in a few weeks. I’ll definitely circle back one I’ve got them and let everyone know how they turn out. Can’t wait!

richey88 likes this.
  15. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I think you can't go wrong with the regular Sovtek EL84s. Sound good. Tough as nails. Inexpensive.

16. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They all have a maximum of 300V. The nominal voltage is just a thing they put in charts, in some Western charts they put several voltages like 150, 250, 275 etc. to list the different operating conditions.

17. awasson

Still waiting... Hasn't been a month yet but I'm sure interested in seeing how they turn out. Once the dust settles and as long as I don't get shafted on customs/import charges, they'll be close to what I paid for my JJ's. Looking forward to seeing what they're like.

18. SngleCoil

SngleCoil Tele-Holic

My Matchless C-30 build puts a little over 350 volts on the plates in half-power mode (2 of the 4 el84s turned off). JJ and regular Sovtek EL84s didn't hold up well under the high plate voltage. I bought a quad of Sovtek el84m's and a 6P14P-EV's. Maybe the Sovteks are just relabeled 6P14P-EV's. Regardless, they both have performed very well tolerating the higher plate voltages.

awasson likes this.
  19. Les Paul lover

The sovteks are different.

Different getter and other small details.
    I weighed them, jj = 13g, Sovtek = 18g, 6P14P EV = 20g each.

SngleCoil likes this.
  20. Les Paul lover

Long wait...... mine took about 2 weeks if memory serves me right, but the trip from eastern Europe to the UK is shorter.

I was lucky to not get hit by import taxes - it would have been eligible for some.

I Still would have bought them if I had to pay import taxes. Well worth it.

johnnylaw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.