EL84 BF Princeton?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by schmee, Sep 17, 2019.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Geez. Not sure I should admit this. I was ready to crank up this beast today. I turned it on and it started to make some noise ... Then I got to thinking ......I THINK I NEVER CLIPPED ALL THE WIRE ENDS UNDER THE TURRET BOARD after soldering ... (ends from resistors and caps) !
    I fold them over to hold the components in place before soldering. I dont remember clipping them off.. OMG, this is going to be a PITA.
    This thing is shoehorned in there in the first place. I was trying locations for the board to make wiring reasonable as possible. I think I got going on it and never looked back...
    ARGGHHH :mad:

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

No............why?

3. schmee

Never mind, Brain Fart...I did do all that. Geez I was panic'd for a minute there.!

4. schmee

I am kinda stumped right now though. (BTW, at this point it's just 6V6 version)
    Trying to fire this thing up but the bias climbs quickly up to 100ma so I turn it off.
    -Double, triple checked the wiring.
    -Adjusted the bias pot (was added in lieu of stock layout)
    -Removed the whole bias pot and made it stock Princeton. Same problem.
    -Voltages in the whole amp are a bit high, maybe 20%, but that's not too abnormal IME.
    -Known good power tubes.
    -Plug in SS rectifier.

It's so damn simple hard to figure. What to zero in on that would cause out of control ramp up bias?
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.