1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

El Nino doing anything to your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Zender

Zender Tele-Meister

Modern science is heavily politicized. Weather is now ideology.

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think what that "other guy" doesn't believe in is folks missing the humor of a joke....:lol:

3. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Nope. Nothing at all. we should be getting cold and snow, but it's eerily warm and calm

4. fendertx

fendertx Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Yes, we can refer to this as the "infamous El Niño Boondogle of 2015"

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Pretty doggone nice here in Pennsyltuckey. I think the temperature hit 70 F.

As far as the science part goes, I think it would have been scary sailing with Columbus, knowing that you might go over the Great Waterfall at the end of the earth.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Are you near Copper Harbor to say that he he?

I'd like to attend an event in Marquette later in the winter so I hope things are changed by that time. Same for taking my daughter to Mt. Bohemia.

7. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

IIRC, El Nino isn't supposed to really hit Los Angeles until January.

I've lived through a bunch of them. I find them to be very exciting, as long as I don't crash my car.

I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for the '82'-'83 El Nino -- which might've been classified as one after the fact. The backyard of my mother's house in Lafayette slid down the hillside, leaving the bottom of the pool exposed like the belly of a whale and no ground under one corner of the house.

8. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

No, Im in Marquette. Theres maybe an inch or two up at Copper Harbor, or mayne not since we received 2 inches of rain today.

Broke my leg once at Bohemia, had so much fun, kept snowboarding until my leg swelled up and my buddies had to carry me to the truck. Probably shouldnt have done that. Ruined my skiing career.

If your talking about the sled dog races, well hopefully it will snow by then. Marquette Mountain is open, but it is 90% grass.

I could end this now if I sold my new snowblower I just bought, lol.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I put the Marquette fat bike summit on my calendar. I've always been a skier but got a fat bike and know trail builders in your area.

Marquette last season - I work on a trail project with the guy in orange:

Trek | 2016 Farley on Vimeo

Here's the El Nino or lack of map. Someone in our ski club is a prof in the meteorology dept and made this map. It shows the snow cover all over but is localized with Nordic ski spots.

http://realearth.ssec.wisc.edu/?pro...1049&timeproduct=SNOWDEPTH24&timespan=-86400s

10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Same here, except it's really nice. :D Went to get firewood over the weekend, and I wonder if we'll even need it. It's predicted to stay above freezing pretty much all January... :eek:

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

The weather has made me question my masculinity of late. I have for the last couple of days actually been wearing, I can't say it, uh, oh the humanity of it all............LONG PANTS!

The long awaited rain hasn't really developed as it was supposed to here in Kern County. The promise of rain, and the little bit of snow we can see from our doorstep in the mountains to the east of us, has deterred at least temporarily our loading up and driving cross country and landing unannounced in William Tele's front yard to avoid the drought. The prospect of hearing him play his recently acquired bag pipes is both a lure, and a (deterrent?). Hmmmm.

12. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Columbus knew the Earth was spherical. In Western history, it has been well known since Pythagoras 6th century B.C.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...-a-flat-earth/2011/10/10/gIQAXszQaL_blog.html

13. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

According to the meteorologists, the continental U.S. and Canada will not feel any effects of the child until after the first of the year. What is currently causing the wide spread warm and/or wet weather is the (so far) failure of the circumpolar circulation to descend from the north as it normally does. The last two years it has dropped farther than normal (the so called polar vortex) this year it simply hasn't dropped yet. However, they are predicting that it will show it's first change in the next week or so. The temperatures here this week are starting to drop back into the normal range (about 10 to 20 degrees less than they have been). Enjoy the extended Autumn while you can, it will be gone soon enough.

14. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

BBQ-ing more often this time of year. Not using firewood like I thought I would. I haven't turned on the furnace.

I believe in peanut butter. It's been much more reliable than the weather.

15. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Oops.

A couple of very culpable people have pushed this into the netherworld.

Shame on you.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No snow in my backyard, which is unusual. I don't know if this can be attributed to El Nino, though.

Up at the ski hill these is a decent snow base for this time of year -- 168cm. (This is like that Jimmy Buffet song about changes in altitude...)

When El Nino comes in, we are supposed to have something with the jet stream that will leave us with less snow. So I was skiing this past weekend -- enjoy it while you can!

17. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Same as you, OP.

Far warmer December than normal, along with some rain. Too bad I don't golf anymore. I'd be a happy camper.

18. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

It's rainy and cool here in the South. Killing my bones. I've been in bed most of the day to the achiness and plus just feeling icky. :( Sure hope I ain't coming down with the stuff that's going around these parts. My Stepdad (who has COPD) unfortunately did catch it and it put him down on the couch for about a week.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Worst pat phrase; worst performance by this actor, ever.

Just sick of this, with all due respect. Guy put you in your place, fair and square.

;)

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, the change came overnight and going from 72 and kinda sultry, to suddenly about as damp as you can get, is guaranteed to remind every guy in WNC who has a plate or a couple screws in place of bone, or bone or joint paint. Every older guy I've talked to this morning was moving slow. But everybody I've talked to already had the "crud" and is over it so maybe it will miss you, and by tomorrow it will be Glorious.

Edit: The sun just came blasting out, 1:30 PM, wonderful! Open up those windows and enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.