El Cheapo NGD

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
My unfortunate predilection for cheap guitars has struck again. This was hanging in one of my usual stops. Tagged at $50 but got it for $40 out the door. It has a neck break at the heel that I have never seen before. It is actually very comfortable so hopefully I can salvage it. If not I have a pile of necks that should yield at least one candidate, Anyway one more for the closet of shame :D

IMG_6065.jpg
IMG_6066.jpg
IMG_6067.jpg

The previous owner was also quite resourceful :eek:

IMG_6068.jpg

mexicanyella

Friend of Leo's
No shame in that game! Fix it! Play the ass off of it!

Single-HB rock axes can be pretty lively and versatile with careful string selection and attention paid to pickup height and tilt adjustment, and maybe control pot values. They make you work a little more and pay attention, but I believe that pays off in the long run and becomes second nature anyway.

Deeve

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Jeebus - base of neck damage would have probably had me running out of the store, w/o checking to see if the door was open or not.
:eek::eek::eek:
Replacing it w/ new Jackson/Kramer neck seems to take the bargain factor out of this purchase - or am I missing something?

All of that said, a screaming deal on a single pup rocker sounds cool.

Peace - Deeve

Electric Warrior

Tele-Holic
Nice score. Headstock is really similar to a Tokai 38 Special. I like that it has a maple board, seems uncommon for this style of guitar. If it feels good, it seems a shame to replace the neck so kudos for trying to nurse it back to health.

I salute the previous owner's resourcefulness with the strings! Never saw that before...

wacolo

Tele-Afflicted
Dowel Rods into that neck area...
Should be easy to do.
Clean it and fret level it.
That could be a Rocker.

Maybe drop a Super Hot PickUp into it if the neck turns out good.

Jeebus - base of neck damage would have probably had me running out of the store, w/o checking to see if the door was open or not.
:eek::eek::eek:
Replacing it w/ new Jackson/Kramer neck seems to take the bargain factor out of this purchase - or am I missing something?

All of that said, a screaming deal on a single pup rocker sounds cool.

Peace - Deeve

@FenderGyrl sorted that neck problem and kept it bargain friendly.

I want to see (hear) this thing return to life!

Oh. It is bad.......

They hardly used any glue the first time around. I stuck a paper clip in there and that chunk popped right off. The other piece is still hanging on, but barely. It all went back together quite flush. I used a syringe and injected the bass side with as much titebond as I could and smeared the other side with a bunch as well. It is currently has 6 clamps on there and is settled in for a long weekend. We shall see what happens. If I can get it flat and stable enough I will give it a shot. If it cannot be salvaged it may be my first attempt at a full refret.

IMG_6070.jpg

1guy

Tele-Meister
@wacolo , I'm also a cheap guitar junkie, and $40 is my sweet spot.

Paid $40 for an Sx LP Special, and Epi SG, and $30 for a Yamaha acoustic...all 3 were/are in pretty good shape.

Same with amps, and pedals...3 Fender amps and I paid $100 for all 3.

With the holidays upon us, people are usually looking to get some extra cash and willing to sell old guitar stuff. So, I expect to find a new deal or two soon.