1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

El Cap

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitapik, Jan 22, 2014.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've had the Strymon El Capistan on my board for 2 years. I've been wanting more presets (I use the Favorite switch for the one pre), so I went and played through some units a couple of days ago.

They're all great floor delay pedals. But I'm keeping El Cap on my board because:

1) I love (love) the tone you get from it. Very unique.

2) I don't need all the extras that the multi preset models seem to offer in addition.

3) The original guitar's signal stays on top of the repeats better on El Cap than others, to my ear.

It's also got some cool features that other units don't. But the bottom line is that I just love the sound on El Cap. So I'm just going to live with the two presets, for now.

The other units I tried out are faves of a lot of other people. And they really are excellent units with great sounds. I was way more than just "impressed". So the old "ymmv" and "imho" definitely rings true, here.

2. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

I could have written this post.

Right now, my El Cap is sitting it out. I have a new Eventide H9 that does darn near everything great. The H9's tape echo algorithm is soooooo close....and I'm continuing to refine it so it's like the El Cap.

But.....(there's always a "but")....there's something magical about how the El Cap works. It fits just under your guitar tone without interfering. I may just break down and use the El Cap and H9. Oh well....there goes the concept of the super-simple board.

3. revelator

revelator Tele-Holic

Love my El Cap!! It's no longer the "flavor of the month" for a lot of people but it's on my board & not going anywhere!!

Sent from my iPhone using TDPRI

4. gitapik

Yep. What he said.

I checked out the Eventide H9. Wonderful pedal. I heard that Eventide is dropping it's rack stuff and concentrating solely on floor pedals. Drag for rack heads but very good news for stompers.

Providence (Japan) makes a great delay as does Diamond, Empress, Wampler, Pigtronix, etc. I'm definitely not knocking any of them. This is the golden age of effects pedals. I'm amazed.

The reason why I come back to El Cap is because it does that one thing so well. My board's pretty simple but the combination of the pedals and the guitar/amp makes for some wonderful sounds. El Cap nails the many sound of an excellent (to beat to s#*t) tape delay. Not putting anyone down for their needs, but after making the rounds, I realized that's what I want from a delay pedal.

5. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I have the opposite problem. I can not get my el cap to stay on the board. Despite the fact that I love the sound.

I love the sound of the el cap because i love the sound of tape delay and it is the best tape delay emulator i have played. I also like that it has crazy low out put impedance and have used it in a pinch to direct inject (yes it is that low if you have the buffer engaged! it is lower than most DIs and most mics).

But i mostly use mine to record. For live I use the DL-8 or if i am going small the EQD Dispatch master.

I love knobs. I am a crazy twiddler but just don't feel confident using the el cap live unless it is for one setting (set and forget).

The DL-8 has that sweet sweet lowfi setting and surprisingly wooshy faux analog setting, quick get to slap back setting, reverse, regular delay and even a quick and dirty looper. So while the El cap does that one very special thing. i just find the ease of use and versatility of the Hardwire DL-8 really hard to beat.

6. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's

One of the things that really sells me on the H9 over the El Cap is the giant knob on the face. It's a master control that can change every parameter at once. I use that "Nose" expression pedal to control the H9 rather than the big knob as I like being able to roll my foot along the edge of the Nose (the big knob does the same thing)

Anyway....the point is that once you set up the expression pedal (or big knob) you can dial what you define as "More" or "Less" effect whether that's intensity, mix, speed, hi-cut, etc...and any combination at the same time. So....the delay could be set for more repeats and mix increase. I have all of my patches set so that the expression pedal starts at little to no effect and goes up to a tasty setting but no more. With the algorithms that are 2 or 3 effects at a time you could even start with just reverb and add in modulation and delay as the expression pedal setting increases.

The best part is...it's just one knob when using it live.

7. gitapik

Hmmm…looks like I have some new delays to check out.

The practicality aspect is key here, imo. I stopped gigging about 2 years ago because of a wrist injury. The rehab's been slow, but I'm now able to play lots of electric, as long as my thumb doesn't spend too much time under the neck. So electric it is and I'm having lots of fun. Found some awesome pedals, one of which is El Cap, which I've grown really attached to.

But I just started jamming out and am in a band, now, so, I'm thinking that presets would be nice for performances. That's why I started looking at other pedals.

I've found some ways to deal with this though, using the Favorite switch. I set subtle single repeat on the Favorite. From there it's easy to get the bouncing repeat and slapback effects with a turn of the Mix or Time knobs, respectively.. And the more I use the main unit, the easier it becomes to set stuff. I pretty much leave the secondary functions alone.

If I do go for another pedal, it's going to be for the presets. Practicality. I don't think the Hardwire has that (?). I'll give the H9 a look if I can find one. I've checked out a lot of videos. Sounds great. I'm also interested in looking at the Pigtronix stuff.

8. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

Hardwire doesn't have presents. I replaced my Yamaha with this and that did have patches you could save and I miss that aspect but I find the hardwire is really clearly laid out and so far have gotten away with just twiddling on the fly between songs. YMMV

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.