EKO Owners Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by tuuur, May 7, 2011.

1. spdruce

spdruce TDPRI Member

Hi, and stunned to find a whole bunch of posts on a telecaster forum dedicated to the humble EKO brand, as related elsewhere on the main forum I sold all my gear; vox ac30, japanese les paul copy with DiMarzios, sometime in the mid 70's as I got seriously fed up with playing grotty gigs round Glasgow and 'in-band bitchin' and gave it all up for a for a few years until a girlfriend bought me an EKO rio grande as a 21st birthday present. My EKO followed me through many years of moving around until I finally settled in Yorkshire and started writing songs. I am now lucky enough to play a Martin OV18M and a telecaster, however many of the songs I play in my set were originally written on my trusty old & much loved EKO. It now lives mostly in my bedroom but still gets played often. God knows how I ever played it for any length of time, the action is a killer, but I still prefer the rich tone to many of the modern scratchy sounding £500 plus acoustics.
    eko.JPG

WingedWords likes this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I started in 1969 with a nylon strung classical, but steel string was what I really wanted and after 4 months I got this. 77062-1473171342018.jpg

My Eko Ranger was my only guitar for some 12 or 13 years until I got my first Telecaster and it stayed my only acoustic until the early 2000's. It did everything for me, and came everywhere with me, to college, round Europe.

It's battered and cracked now, still completely functional, but enjoying an honourable retirement.

3. greebo830

greebo830 Tele-Meister

I've had a few EKO's over the years - the only one I still have is this 1965 Ranger XII electra. Custom painted by Tyla from english rock band "The Dogs D'amour".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

Really happy to see all these Eko Rangers. I learned on my brother's, back in the 70s, and after giving up playing for 25 years, when I took guitar up again I convinced myself that the Eko Ranger had been hard to play. Then on a trip back to Britain it turned out my bro still had the guitar, and he let me play it again. Absolutely beautiful sound, and easy to play.

So in terms of my memory of the guitar, the fault was clearly with the player, not the instrument...

It does seem to be mainly a European guitar, of course. Never seen a single Eko here in Japan.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.