Eight screw vs. Five screw

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by d barham, Feb 22, 2020.

1. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

I've been reading with interest the thread about '59 teles and esquires. I've noticed that some have five screw pickguards and some have eight screw pickguards. My '60 has an eight hole guard. When did the transition occur? Was it spread over a few months or even years?

2. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Pretty sure the switch happened during the change from a maple neck to a slab rosewood in 1959. All of the 59 slab Teles I've seen had the 8 hole, like your 1960. It's actually a @.080" thick guard rather than the previous .060".

All of the earlier 59 Teles with the maple neck that I've seen had the 5 hole.

However, this is just what's typically found. There could be the odd 59 with one or the other, I suppose.

I've read that some of the early 59 Customs had a 5 hole (3 ply?) guard...

d barham and tintag27 like this.
  3. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

In the Duchossoir book he says by summer '59 all pickguards were changed to 8 screw, single an 3 ply.

d barham likes this.
  4. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

Also the Telecaster Custom was the only model with the 3-ply pickguard and it was made of flammable nitrate that was a greenish color. Very few of the first Custom models had 5 screws before switching to 8. The regular models had single ply white pickguards.

d barham likes this.
  5. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

Some confusion here.

Three ply pickguards (nitrate) were used on standard Telecasters and Esquires for guitars which received 3 tone sunburst and any custom colour finishes. As you rightly say, they were also used for double bound Custom models.

Single ply white was only used on the standard blonde finish for both Teles and Esquires. Not sure about the exact transition date between 5 hole and 8 hole but at some time later the pickguard material also changed and became thicker and had some edges which were bevelled. I've seen a few of these thicker 8 hole PGs including my own '63 but I've never seen the thicker PGs with 5 holes.

Chip likes this.
  6. Chip

Chip Tele-Afflicted

you are correct sir! I forgot to mention the custom color and sunburst models.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    63telemaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.