EHX Mod 11 Rotary on par with EHX Lester K/G?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by ltnpd, Oct 2, 2019.

1. ltnpd

ltnpd TDPRI Member

Hey all,

I've been looking for a Lesley pedal. I had narrowed it down to the EHX Lester K since I have a good compressor and I liked the idea of being able to go from fast to slow speeds and vice versa. It's a bit big though. Also the idea of having a dedicated space for just a Lesley (something I won't be using often) is kind of daunting on my pedal board. I recently discovered the Mod 11. The idea of having one would interesting because I'd essentially add multiple pedals for just one pedal-space. I don't have a flanger, univibe, vibrato, etc... (not that I use those now but good to have the option to have them) and the idea of having pretty wacky effects and extreme settings is quite interesting. I also understand that the Mod 11 is a bit more complicated to use because of the secondary functions but I don't really foresee myself changing the speed setting when I use it. Changing the overdrive setting may get annoying but I can live with that. I also know that I would need an external tap tempo switch also. And yes it's not a pretty looking pedal.

My question is how does the Mod 11's rotary sound compare to the Lester's? I really love the sound of the Lester but the idea of the Mod 11 is really appealing. I find that the YouTube clips of this pedal aren't great and probably don't do it justice. Has anyone tried both? How do they compare?

I would try the Mod 11 myself if I had the chance, but none of the stores carry it where I am.

Cheers,
    LTNPD

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

i am also looking for a rotary speaker pedal. i pretty much resigned myself to biting the bullet and getting a strymon lex, but then i discovered the danelectro money laundry. pretty inexpensive -- especially if you can find one used, and it has a dedicated foot switch for ramping the speed up and down.

i like the sound of the lester g -- much more convincing (on youtube demos anyway) imo. the mod 11 has too much stuff on it for my taste. i prefer a pedal that does one thing really well vs. a swiss army knife with a dozen just ok effects. ymmv.

3. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

There are EHX videos out that demo both those pedals. You can pretty much decide from those.
    Musiciansfriend has the Mod 11 available at the start of November. I've got my order in.:)

4. ltnpd

ltnpd TDPRI Member

@max_twang Yes I prefer single pedals over Swiss Army knife pedals also but the appeal is strong for the Mod 11. I didn't really like the danelectro one. The Lester sounds better to my ears and also is in my price range.

@TequilaCaster yeah I saw the demos but they seem to be mostly done through people's phone mic and camera so it doesn't feel like it's the 'true' tone. Also, I prefer trying-before-trying. Not big on blind buys

Thanks for your input! Hoping someone who's played with both will chime in!

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

No exp with the ehx mod11.

I have exp w the ehx Lester k and strymon lex.
    Both great Leslie pedals.

The kicker is using them in a live setting, they’d be either too much or too little.
    The lead vocalist would shudder when I kicked mine in cos it was often too overpowering on the throb/ wobble for him to compete with.
    I’m blaming me here, the pedals are fine.
    I’ve booted both off my boards and have dropped a J Rockett revolver in place.
    Debuts tonight.

6. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't buy the Mod 11, changing the parameters in a live context is a pain, i've had many pedals like that, no more unless you can save presets like fore example the Zoom ms 70 cdr or Ms 50g or Line 6 m5, i'm talking about small pedals with just one switch.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

8. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

I’ve been enjoying the Pigtronix Rototron. Lots of flexibility with two expression inputs and one switch. Stereo in and out.

9. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Another vote for the Danelectro Money Laundry/Big Spender pedal. (It went by two names for some reason.) Great leslie sound for cheap... I found mine at GC for $40.

I also prefer a one-trick pony to a swiss-army knife on my board.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Agreed. (Sorry OP, I have no experience with the quality of the rotary on either pedal.) I've been toying with the idea of replacing a little plastic Dano chorus with a multi-effect so I could get some phase, trem, univibe and other things to toy around with. But without being able to save presets a multi-effect pedal is almost worthless to me.

If you want a rotary sim, get the best dedicated pedal for your needs and budget. If you want multiple effects to include a rotary sim, get a pedal that you can save presets and easily switch between them. For me, I wouldn't be using different effects in the same song so reaching down for two seconds to change the chorus to phase wouldn't' be an issue. For other player's uses, being able to switch via a toe-tap or two would be a requirement.

But as I write this I do have a question about the EHX Mod 11: If I set all the parameters for one effect - lets say rotary, then I switch over to another effect and twiddle with the parameter knobs to set up tremolo, then go to phase and dial in its parameters ---- when I go back to Rotary does the pedal remember the last setting? If it does that, then this would work for me. I don't need two separate phase settings or two chorus settings. And even if I did, I'd be OK with switching to chorus and turning up the speed from the previous chorus setting. But I don't want to have adjust all of the parameters each time I switch the effect type.

(Sorry I went a little off-track from the original question. It's just been something on my mind.)

11. Thin white duke

I'm not sure but i don't think so, unless it has some hidden trick where you can store some presets, it looks like to me you can't do that, if you change parameters you have to change it again when you go back to your previous setting and you want the same sound as before, so boring......

12. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

Oh, well. I'll keep looking. I'm in no rush. Several other pedals on my list that I want to try before I buy as much for sound quality as for ease of use live.

Thanks for the response.

13. Thin white duke

For my modulation i use multieffects, less space, less money and good quality.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.