EH vs Tungsol 6V6 new production

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by uriah1, Oct 4, 2011.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

I have seen no love out there for EH 6v6. I tried some recently and
    they do seem a tad bit brighter than the Tung sols. They
    are both mfg in the same reflector plant in Saratov, Russia. So what gives?

2. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They are made in the same plant but are not the same tube. Look at the internal construction.

The Ford Focus and Crown Victoria are made in the same plant also.

3. uriah1

lol.......good point..I will check out..

4. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

EH not my favorite, don't use them if something else is available.

5. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Groove Tubes that came in my DRRI were EH. Sounded OK. I tried JJ's and they are definitely more aggresssive and bigger sounding. I wanted a mellower more bluesy sound and I tried the Tung Sols. Nice, smooth, full sound. Next, I tried a set of Tung Sol 6L6's - big and smooth.

IMO, the EH 6V6's aren't bad; pretty much middle of the road (factory equipment). It's largely a matter of taste.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Yep. And budget. Some people love the old Sovtek wafer-base 5881's which were really the tube that got the whole "revival" moving full-speed. The last a long time and the tone, while (IMO) is nothing to write home about, it's not *usually* horrible either.

Others swear by expensive NOS tubes because they either hear the subtle differences in sound or think they *should* hear the differences... ;-)

7. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

You guys like to gamble if you use the EH. I have seen many of them fail in a very spectacular manner and damage the amplifier in ther process. The screens melt and short.

I would not use EH 6V6s if you gave them to me for free. IMO the only thing they're good for is targets for plinking with a .22 rifle.

If you value your amp you will run either the Tungsols or the JJs.

8. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

The old wafer base Sovtek 5881 is actually a good deal in some regards. They are readily available, cheap, reliable and last a reasonably long time. In an amp designed for 6L6GC, these 5881s will sound middle of the road meh and put out a few watts less. In amps designed specifically for the Sovtek 5881 they sound better. There are better choices out there, but these things are fine in a pinch.

I have seen sovtek 5881s in an amp where the bias supply failed. they were totally fried and flat. But they did NOT short or cause further damage to the amp. Any tube which can survive a bias supply failure without shorting and causing more damage gets my approval. They got so hot the logo piant on the side turned black.

9. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I used the EH 6V6 in my 5E3 Deluxe for a long time and they sounded good, lasted a long time, and were inexpensive. A big thumbs up here. Then JJ came out with their 6V6 and I switched to JJ's. To my ear the JJ's are a little louder and cleaner and are not quie as gritty as the EH, but the EH still sounded good. To my ear, the JJs are almost 6L6 sounding and the EHs are more typically 6V6 sounding. In a Deluxe Reverb, the JJ's are supposed to tolerate the higher plate voltages better, but in a 5E3 Deluxe, or at least in mine, the plate voltages are not an issue. The JJ's have lasted a really long time in my amp, so I haven't needed to try the Tungsols yet.

10. SamBooka

SamBooka Tele-Afflicted

Only had two tubes fail spectacularly in the past year.. both EHs.
    Oddly (and fortunately) they were the only EHs I had... my TS branded havent died yet but that doesnt mean much :)

11. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I think the Tungsol reissues sound almost as good as RCA black plates. I've got a nice stash of oldies but I'm using the reissues instead.

12. uriah1

I heard the JJ 6v6 sound more like 6L6...which may be good or bad, based on your liking?

13. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually they sound very close to the grey plate RCA 6V6GTA. I find they are tighter with a warmer top end and better note definition, especially when being pushed. I also have a nice stash of 6V6's and 7408's and I'm using the new Tung Sol's in favor of NOS 6V6's also.

14. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I like the EH for low to moderate volume playing, they seem clear and have a good dynamic range. I like the TS for louder volumes as they hold the overdrive togeather better and sustain smoother. But at low to moderate volumes the TS sound a little dull/muddy, sill smooth and mellow, but with a touch of mud.

I have a pair of old RCA and they sound good at low to moderate volume, and they sound good at higher volumes but without the volume of a JJ.

The JJs IMO work well and are clear and articulate when matched up with JJ preamp tubes. Also, they have more volume. But they are bigger glass and run hotter than TS or EH. Each of the new productions has it's purpose for specific amps. The choice is up to you and what kind of sound you are seeking for your specific amp.

15. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

According to Billy Zoom - Most tube brands (including EH & TS) today are made by Sovtek, but in several different factories. They'll also make the same tube in several different factories, but the quality differs from factory to factory, and from batch to batch. Watching the date codes on modern tubes can be important. Some batches are better than others. Sovtek doesn't build many types at the same time. They set up the tooling and build a few years worth of something, and then they tear down the tooling and set up for a different tube type. They don't just keep the same tooling from one batch of tubes to the next.

With that in mind - I've recently had good luck with EH 6V6's, from MF.

16. uriah1

I was wondering about that.
    I plopped in some EH after I had my TS burnout..and more definition at low level..I reordered and put in TS, but, that volume thing..may have something to it..? Sort of weird having the 'getter' on the bottom, in stead of on the top like most power tubes..

17. uriah1

bump for weekend traffic

18. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

Yes, they do sound more like a 6L6 than a 6V6 IMHO, YMMV, etc. I had Winged C 6L6's in my DRRI for a while and changed back to JJ 6V6's. Not really a large sonic diff.

19. lckyjcky

lckyjcky Tele-Holic

Did you have to re-bias when you put 6L6's in your DRRI? If so, at what volt?

20. uriah1

Bumping to a 6l6, my buddy put in a copper cap rectifier and a bigger iron OT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.