EH HumDebugger examples

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by maxvintage, Apr 1, 2020.

1. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I just got an EH Humdebugger and thought I would show how it works/sounds. Sound samples with and without below

I have a very electrically noisy office/music space. Not sure why. But it's bad enough that I've tried various strategies fro reducing hum. My favorite guitar has a Lace Alumitone in it.

But here is an example of a guitar that's annoying to play because of buzz. I made this hollow body out out of plywood. It has a lollar CC pickup that sounds great but buzzes like mad

[​IMG]

Below are three short and sloppy sound clips, with just a touch of reverb, recorded direct

First, without the HumDebugger

Second, with the Humdebugger set to "normal"

Third, the second clip with a recording of the hum alone mixed in

I put the third clip in there to see if the hum itself was adding something, on the theory that we like analog noise.

So it's very good, but I do hear a difference between the raw and the debugged sound. I like the raw sound better: it's maybe a little more "lush"? but the hum is infuriating, and the Hum Debugger pretty much kills it.

It s clever device that requires its own AC power supply, so I'll bet it works by sampling the line signal and phase canceling the hum?

jddub440 and brookdalebill like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had one, then I got rid of all my single coil pickups and the DeBugger.
    I recently put a set of single coils in my Les Paul.
    I may buy another!

Fretting out likes this.
  3. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

Might be possible to eq the difference out. Some tweaking with the midrange got them closer

4. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

On my iPad speakers, the debugged sounds the best. My brain doesn't like the buzzing as much as it likes the lost "sweetness", that I do hear in the raw examples, but it can't focus on the overall.

Thanks for the distraction!

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I hear the hum in the second clip as well. It's not something that would bother me.

brookdalebill and Fretting out like this.
  6. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I like the debugged clip the best as well.

I’ve been using the Hum Debugger for about 3 years now. I sometimes think I can hear a tone change but it’s incredibly subtle to the point I don’t care and can’t even really tell what it actually is.

I should make some clips. Yours are clean, playing with a dirty amp or a fuzz the hum get even worse and the benefits of the Hum Debugger stand out even more.

brookdalebill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.